The Dental Thread

Somjot

1 hour ago, Somjot said:

Feel free to ask any questions.

===========

If one was not wanting to go to the dentist. Could be they were scared. Or skint. Or just don't trust them And wanted to pull their own teeth. What method would you recommend?

I have my own method, that I've used for 25 years, but it can be a tad painful. Especially if the tooth is at the back, and a bit stubborn.

Edited by owl sees all
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Somjot said:

Thank you very much for your comment and luckily your assumption is wrong.

Think about it, if bone could not regrow, how does a broken leg heal, how does an orthodontist move or turn teeth to the correct position?

Same as muscle and skin bone is living tissue full of different cells, some of them called “Osteoblasts” which means nothing else than “bone builder”.

The most important thing is a bone preserving extraction technique.

The classic extraction technique says, extraction and after that compression.

This means that after the tooth has been extracted the dentist would grab the extraction socket with his thumb and index finger and press it together forcefully, which leads to a smaller extraction wound, lesser bleeding and faster healing.

The downside is that the depth of the bone will be reduced by half, so that in case, the patient would like to have an implant inserted in this area, his bone might have enough height and width but not enough depth.

The bone preserving extraction technique does not include compression and tries to keep all the walls from the alveolar socket, especially the buccal ones, which are on the side of the cheeks and lips and very thin, which makes them fracture easily.

This technique will lead to a preservation of the socket and almost no loss for the alveolar ridge so that there is no need for a bone graft in most cases.

I don't know if you are familiar with bone grafts.

They are harvested from the bone of different animals and can be equine (horse), bovine (cow), porcine (pork) or even from human bodies by eliminating the complete organic material from it.

What is left is just minerals in a shape that reminds of bone.

I never felt comfortable with any of them why I always used artificial bone made of Tricalcium Phosphate.

The companies tell us, that once the bone graft is inside the extraction socket or the area, were you plan to insert an implant, the Osteoblasts and other cells will transform it into our own bone.

I can confirm that this is not the truth.

I have made hundreds if not thousands of bone graft surgeries in the last quarter century and every time I drilled into it to shape an implant site months later I could see rests of that bone graft in the drill cuttings.

Don't get me wrong, bone grafts can be very helpful, for example when you do an external sinus lift, were you want to create an artificial space between the bony sinus floor and the so-called Schneider membrane and need a placeholder.

But generally spoken my experience taught me, the smaller the wound, the lesser invasive the surgery, the fewer foreign material included, the higher the chance for success and of course the lesser the pain after the surgery.

For example, the classical operation technique for an implant is a longitudinal incision on the alveolar Ridge followed by transverse relief incisions and then separation of the mucoperiosteal flaps from the bone with raspatories, which are repositioned and stitched together after the implant has been inserted.

This facilitates the determination of the implant position but it's a huge trauma followed by severe pain.

I don't do this anymore.

I use a punch, a round knife, and cut out a circular piece of the gingiva, which is located exactly where I want to insert my implant and has the exact same diameter as my implant.

As a result, at the end of the surgery there is no wound, no bleeding, no stitches and in most cases no pain but on the other hand a much faster healing and a higher success rate and not to forget – lesser costs for the patient.

That is also a point, I have always on my mind:

My patients trust me with their health.

I could never take advantage of that trust by suggesting a bigger and more expensive surgery than needed and still be able to look at my face in the mirror.

Since my first days as a doctor, I always and without exception advised and treated my patients as if I would sit in the dental chair myself.

Thank you for your response. What you seem to be describing is bone preservation at the point of extraction. That bone can then be strengthened through the absorbtion of the right nutrients.  But when you lose a tooth and the bone holding the tooth is reabsorbed, then it becomes impossible to grow new bone to replace the bone that was lost. This was what I was told by all the dentists I visited. In other words, you can strengthen bone that has been damaged (as in a broken leg) but you can't regrow bone that has been lost.

The issue is of interest to me because when I needed to replace two extracted teeth with implants, I went to several of the major clinics targetting farang. One of them told me (even before the tooth had been extracted) that a major bone graft would be needed (bovine) and that the entire process would take about eight months (just for the graft). Two other places told me that a sinus lift would be needed. Another dentist told me that he could do the procedure with no bone graft.

It was very difficult to decide what to do as you can imagine. Of course the cost varied widely but more importantly was the question of which procedure would produce the best result. I'm still not sure about that point.

• Like 1

As its a dental thread will ask this

I had veneers top jaw 10 years ago in Thailand which have stood the test of time (Dr Cherry Dentist Beach) and she made a "tray" for the bottom jaw since the teeth were all decent and straight and down the years I bought bleach for the tray off Ebay (strong stuff)

Due to the nanny state we now live in only the weaker stuff is now available on Ebay and my final contact off Ebay has now stopped selling it as well

Any suggestion as to who might be selling it in the Pattaya area ??  I will ask Dr Cherry or her ex working partner who's name I cant think of lol up Pattaya Klang who I now go to

(Edited Dr Warin)

Edited by Chivas

It might be difficult to somewhat understand since this person is explaining things from a medical standpoint. Not from a layman’s perspective.  And this person appears to be a dentist by the wording of some of their comments. 
Every medical professional has their own opinions and treatment methods.  This person is giving theirs by backing it up with specific medical information. Not just layman’s opinion. 

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

===========

If one was not wanting to go to the dentist. Could be they were scared. Or skint. Or just don't trust them And wanted to pull their own teeth. What method would you recommend?

I have my own method, that I've used for 25 years, but it can be a tad painful. Especially if the tooth is at the back, and a bit stubborn.

Honestly, pulling your own teeth is not such a good idea.

In case you have an advanced periodontal disease, as a result your teeth are only sticking in the gum and can easily be moved in any direction, then maybe self-extraction is possible.

In any other case I would not do it.

You could hurt yourself; the bleeding might not stop or some parts of the route might break off and stick in the bone without you noticing it, which can lead to severe infections later.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Spock said:

Are you saying that bone grafts to provide more bone for an implant is useless because bone does not grow? If so, why do so many people have bone grafts before implants?

What I wrote was, that bone actually DOES grow, but bone grafts are not necessary after every extraction.

I never said they're useless - I even wrote, that I have made hundreds of them - but I always try to keep the surgery small.

For example in many cases, if the bone is too thin, bone spreading might solve the problem and the bone graft can be avoided.

But to go into all details would be too complicated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, owl sees all said:

===========

tooth.jpg.e9e64f868302e57b059f9760f0953d83.jpg

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, jaywalker2 said:

Thank you for your response. What you seem to be describing is bone preservation at the point of extraction. That bone can then be strengthened through the absorbtion of the right nutrients.  But when you lose a tooth and the bone holding the tooth is reabsorbed, then it becomes impossible to grow new bone to replace the bone that was lost. This was what I was told by all the dentists I visited. In other words, you can strengthen bone that has been damaged (as in a broken leg) but you can't regrow bone that has been lost.

The issue is of interest to me because when I needed to replace two extracted teeth with implants, I went to several of the major clinics targetting farang. One of them told me (even before the tooth had been extracted) that a major bone graft would be needed (bovine) and that the entire process would take about eight months (just for the graft). Two other places told me that a sinus lift would be needed. Another dentist told me that he could do the procedure with no bone graft.

It was very difficult to decide what to do as you can imagine. Of course the cost varied widely but more importantly was the question of which procedure would produce the best result. I'm still not sure about that point.

Now you are getting more precise.

You are clearly speaking about the upper molar area and yes, what often happens after tooth extraction, is that the sinuses move downwards so that in some cases the thickness of the bone on the alveolar ridge is only one millimetre.

In that case an external sinus lift is required and quite some amount of bone granulate, I'd say the size of a walnut for each side.

If there are maybe five to seven millimeters left an internal sinus lift might solve the problem.

It would be easier if you would send me your panoramic X-ray.

45 minutes ago, Chivas said:

As its a dental thread will ask this

I had veneers top jaw 10 years ago in Thailand which have stood the test of time (Dr Cherry Dentist Beach) and she made a "tray" for the bottom jaw since the teeth were all decent and straight and down the years I bought bleach for the tray off Ebay (strong stuff)

Due to the nanny state we now live in only the weaker stuff is now available on Ebay and my final contact off Ebay has now stopped selling it as well

Any suggestion as to who might be selling it in the Pattaya area ??  I will ask Dr Cherry or her ex working partner who's name I cant think of lol up Pattaya Klang who I now go to

(Edited Dr Warin)

I will ask my clinic manager tomorrow, which concentrations we have.

If you could tell me the peroxide percentage of the bleach you would like to have, I can check for it.

27 minutes ago, swm59nj said:

It might be difficult to somewhat understand since this person is explaining things from a medical standpoint. Not from a layman’s perspective.  And this person appears to be a dentist by the wording of some of their comments. 
Every medical professional has their own opinions and treatment methods.  This person is giving theirs by backing it up with specific medical information. Not just layman’s opinion. 

Apologies if my writings were difficult to understand.

I tried to use as many layman words as possible.

Please understand, I am not a native speaker, so I have to translate the medical words into English first and then try to find the correct layman words.

Takes some time to do it, but I am always happy to help.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Somjot said:

I will ask my clinic manager tomorrow, which concentrations we have.

If you could tell me the peroxide percentage of the bleach you would like to have, I can check for it.

Truthfully am not sure but you can assume the strongest one that you may stock ??

Thank you for your informative report, but I've understood when you have problem with your teeth then 90 percent you have problems with your body bones. When you have a bone problem then according to a new Japanese medical study you have a heart problem......Οsteoporosis or osteopenia is the average problem mainly for women. Toffu is excelent and if its not enouth then you have to take calcum vitamin with K2 vitamin for athirosclerosis and athiromatic plague.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Somjot said:

Honestly, pulling your own teeth is not such a good idea.

In case you have an advanced periodontal disease, as a result your teeth are only sticking in the gum and can easily be moved in any direction, then maybe self-extraction is possible.

In any other case I would not do it.

You could hurt yourself; the bleeding might not stop or some parts of the route might break off and stick in the bone without you noticing it, which can lead to severe infections later.

Thanks for that in-depth answer.

Many of us do not like dentists, and prefer to do extraction ourselves. I asked the question because although I have pulled teeth a few times, the sound of the tooth being ripped from the bone, can be a little off-putting. The pain, can be easily controlled by a little mind yoga. So if you had a remedy to ease the sound I would be all ears.

When I lived in Africa, I heard stories of a travelling holy man. He would travel - on his camel - to remote areas of Northern Nigeria offering tooth extraction and castration..

• Confused 1

Here's a dental type question, my luk khreung son is in 10th grade, his GPA is very good, and his mother & I want him to go into the medical field (doctor, dentist, pharmacist). 

My question is what's the process to become a dentist here in Thailand? How much baht and how long is the schooling?   Any hints or tips about scholarships, pre-med, or other information is greatly appreciated. 

29 minutes ago, bbko said:

Here's a dental type question, my luk khreung son is in 10th grade, his GPA is very good, and his mother & I want him to go into the medical field (doctor, dentist, pharmacist). 

My question is what's the process to become a dentist here in Thailand? How much baht and how long is the schooling?   Any hints or tips about scholarships, pre-med, or other information is greatly appreciated. 

Where is he going now? If he has the grades, the cost is not high. But "very good" will likely be not good enough. 

Start tutoring him for the SAT

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

tooth.jpg.e9e64f868302e57b059f9760f0953d83.jpg

I Not only feel threatened by those crude handyman's tools, I don't like putting metal in me mouth.

The self-extraction I do is simple. Get some twine; fishing line is no good as it stretches. Double it up and lasso the tooth. If it slips off, file a little grove in the tooth, with a nail clipper nail file. Or it could be that the knot is not securing the tooth, and slipping.

Then the important part. Wrap the end of the twine round a bamboo. Don't pull the bamboo. Get the twine taunt, and just twist. Keep going with the twisting til the tooth is out. Can hear the rasping noise as the tooth pulls away from the bone. But it's only for a second or two.

Saves time money and although a bit painful, you have not had any injections.

1714295210_toothpull.png.8211efe8a8b03e3c6913cce5ca902ede.png

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, Chivas said:

Truthfully am not sure but you can assume the strongest one that you may stock ??

The world`s leading company for dental whitening is Ultradent and the product`s name is Opalescence.

We normally use the 20% concentration as I have seen many times that higher concentrations can cause extreme tooth sensibility with some patients, not all of them of course.

20230905_140306.jpg.e8c6613ef8af6a1c4ce7afa611554c2b.jpg

I found a 35% concentration on Lazada but the whole thing is a bit funny. They also write “no brand” but what really worries me, is that they give you 2 trays for free.

For home bleaching we take impressions of your upper and lower jaws and our technician casts models on which he manufactures individual trays which have a very tight contact to the gingiva but about 1 millimeter space to the teeth to protect all the surrounding tissues while the teeth are exposed to the bleaching material.

If you use those trays you can see on the picture, the bleaching material will be just floating around in your mouth and lead to severe destruction.

20230905_141048.jpg.4dacf0187e160e660823b7aa1ab02830.jpg

20230905_140957.jpg.90c86d66f4aeb77d2fe1581c116921c0.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Paris333 said:

Thank you for your informative report, but I've understood when you have problem with your teeth then 90 percent you have problems with your body bones. When you have a bone problem then according to a new Japanese medical study you have a heart problem......Οsteoporosis or osteopenia is the average problem mainly for women. Toffu is excelent and if its not enouth then you have to take calcum vitamin with K2 vitamin for athirosclerosis and athiromatic plague.

Honestly, since I passed the Thai dental board exam as the first and afaik until now only foreigner, I wasn't much interested in that matter.

563616227_DentalStatistikTH.thumb.jpg.b41da7d5a2dbe86f5c0bb360791d17be.jpg

All I know, is that there used to be a few government universities, but later private universities opened, which caused huge problems, as the government universities said, they wouldn't accept the exam from the private ones.

But all this has been resolved by now.

The private universities are quite expensive and there have been rumors, that the government universities, which are much cheaper and officially only accept new students depending on their grades, were also quite expensive, the difference being the method of payment:  on the table or under it. But of course those were only rumors.