Electric car fire: Week-old million baht vehicle ignites in Udon Thani mall

webfact

14 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My word! I must have really rattled your cage.  Is that the best you can do?  Your personality shines though your post.

I love you too Ben.

Not rattling my case at all.

And what you mean with my personality? Is it that I saw through your lame arguments, and gave you some real life facts?

Oh, still waiting for the info on who does free solar installations

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Not rattling my case at all.

And what you mean with my personality? Is it that I saw through your lame arguments, and gave you some real life facts?

Oh, still waiting for the info on who does free solar installations

I didn't see real life facts what I saw were comments like "lame", sarcasm & rhetorical questions, like "who does free solar installations?".

2 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Actually, I did design the system to be a hybrid system running on or off grid.  The hybrid inverters I bought (3 x 5.5Kw) wouldn't export surplus power to the grid properly, they did a little bit but threw away most of the power.  So I added in 3 x 6Kw G-T inverters and put all the PV on those but left the LFP batteries on the hybrid inverters and switched them into UPS mode.

My batteries were sourced from China by my deceased friend's Chinese ex-wife and whilst 28.8 KwHrs only cost me about 80k THB, I think they are too expensive to cycle every day.

In EV's mostly you are keeping them between 30% and 80%, in your mobile you are charging them up to 100% with the result my iPhone battery died in a year.  If you use your home solar batteries charging to 100% every day, you may only get 3-5 years out of them.  My batteries would probably cost 200k THB to replace, and if supplied by a Thai Co. then good luck with a warranty claim.

Felicity now have an office in BKK, batts come with 6000 cycle warranty (not that i care about that TBH)
if you increase your storage enough you can easily keep batts in mid range
so you do have the option to go off grid and could possibly do it
(but nobody would notice if you did)
But you choose to stay connected to the grid that uses fossil fuels, while preaching fossil fuel bad?

8 minutes ago, patman30 said:

Felicity now have an office in BKK, batts come with 6000 cycle warranty (not that i care about that TBH)
if you increase your storage enough you can easily keep batts in mid range
so you do have the option to go off grid and could possibly do it
(but nobody would notice if you did)
But you choose to stay connected to the grid that uses fossil fuels, while preaching fossil fuel bad?

I don't preach fossil fuel bad, I let others do that.

My choice of EV & Solar Power is entirely for selfish motives.

I am not sure how felicity would react to replacing an expensive battery pack under warranty.

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I didn't see real life facts what I saw were comments like "lame", sarcasm & rhetorical questions, like "who does free solar installations?".

I replied to a quote by you that you charge for free through your solar installation, while in fact that installation has cost you hundreds of thousands of baht. So how can that ever be free?

That is your personality, unable to see real life facts, and making up things to justify your LAME points.

Here is another one for you.

I have a ICE powered truck, and it cost me exactly nothing in consumption or maintenace, because I push to and from the local 7/11.

You think I made a fair statement?

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, BenStark said:

I replied to a quote by you that you charge for free through your solar installation, while in fact that installation has cost you hundreds of thousands of baht. So how can that ever be free?

That is your personality, unable to see real life facts, and making up things to justify your LAME points.

Here is another one for you.

I have a ICE powered truck, and it cost me exactly nothing in consumption or maintenace, because I push to and from the local 7/11.

You think I made a fair statement?

Taking your last point first, I would be surprised if you made a fair statement, but I live in hope.

I installed solar power for the saving on the house electricity bill, charging my EV for free is a bonus, but it's not why I installed it.

I suppose I could amortize it over the useful life and come up with an adjusted cost per KwHr, but I prefer to take it as a hit as it was part of the cost of building the house.

• Love It 1

8 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I installed solar power for the saving on the house electricity bill, charging my EV for free is a bonus, but it's not why I installed it.

I suppose I could amortize it over the useful life and come up with an adjusted cost per KwHr, but I prefer to take it as a hit as it was part of the cost of building the house.

So your solar installation produces in a day enough kWh to charge your car and provide sufficient electricity for your house?

That must be a million dollar installation.

https://www.forbes.com/home-improvement/solar/how-much-power-does-a-solar-panel-produce/

On average, a standard residential solar panel with an output rating of around 250 to 400 watts. If your home has six hours of sunlight daily, you can expect to generate approximately 546 to 874 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity annually.

Edited by BenStark
  • Confused 1

Just now, BenStark said:

So your solar installation produces in a day enaough KwH to charge your car and provide sufficient electricity for your house?

That must be a million dollar installation.

https://www.forbes.com/home-improvement/solar/how-much-power-does-a-solar-panel-produce/

On average, a standard residential solar panel with an output rating of around 250 to 400 watts. If your home has six hours of sunlight daily, you can expect to generate approximately 546 to 874 kilowatt-hours (kWh) of electricity annually.

I have 54 panels of about 400w each, 6 inverters, 28.8 KwHrs of LFP Battery, the whole installation was near as dammit 500k THB

Since installation 26 months ago, it has produced 51,644 KwHrs and about 212k THB

This is a chart for this year so far

Temp.png

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

That's not very eloquent, also fiction.

Nothing fictitious about it at all; it’s not often one can make such sweeping generalisations, but all Chinese cars are badly engineered using poor quality materials. Junk, in fact, to use the popular vernacular. Also, anyone buying one is supporting the despotic CCP, and their appalling human rights record, but maybe you’re comfortable with that aspect ¯\_()_/¯

And don’t bother with some spiel about how Chinese made parts are in many consumer products, I’ve already read the Chinese apologists handbook.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JBChiangRai said:

I have 54 panels of about 400w each, 6 inverters, 28.8 KwHrs of LFP Battery, the whole installation was near as dammit 500k THB

Since installation 26 months ago, it has produced 51,644 KwHrs and about 212k THB

This is a chart for this year so far

Temp.png

Anorak 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Nothing fictitious about it at all; it’s not often one can make such sweeping generalisations, but all Chinese cars are badly engineered using poor quality materials. Junk, in fact, to use the popular vernacular. Also, anyone buying one is supporting the despotic CCP, and their appalling human rights record, but maybe you’re comfortable with that aspect ¯\_()_/¯

And don’t bother with some spiel about how Chinese made parts are in many consumer products, I’ve already read the Chinese apologists handbook.

Experiences may vary. 

Our 2 Chinese EV's seem to be of a very high quality, zero issues (yet)

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, BenStark said:

It will become free from cost when initial investment has been recovered. 

Solar power is a great way to charge EV's but one cannot claim the power is free (no cost) until the value of electricity produced exceeds the cost of solar equipment. If a solar system produces more energy than required and surplus energy is used to charge an EV, the same rule applies.

Free can mean many things; so it's best to be more specific unless of course one is purposely attempting to introduce ambiguity just in case someone questions the claim. 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

I’m sure all the Uyghur women that have been subjected to forced sterilisations and abortions in Xinjiang will be thrilled for you.

There we are in agreement, it pains me to be supporting the CCP buy buying Chinese, but there is little alternative and nothing cost competitive. 

3 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Solar power is a great way to charge EV's but one cannot claim the power is free (no cost) until the value of electricity produced exceeds the cost of solar equipment. If a solar system produces more energy than required and surplus energy is used to charge an EV, the same rule applies.

Free can mean many things; so it's best to be more specific unless of course one is purposely attempting to introduce ambiguity just in case someone questions the claim. 

There are lots of methods, taking the hit up front (which I did), free after ROI achieved (after 5.3 years appx), amortizing the cost over the useful life.

By saying free, I am referring to the variable cost of charging my EV, the variable cost in using my car is therefore nil because it's energy that would otherwise be wasted.

However, I do accept that you are right, it's not really free, but it costs me no more to charge my EV than it would if I didn't.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I'm expecting to see a lot more of these incidents as more and more people buy these Chinese EV's. 

I wonder how insurance premiums will be affected. I can't imagine it's a cheap fix once you car has burnt out.

It will be a write-off under warranty. How can that affect any insurance?

• Confused 2

41 minutes ago, Fruit Trader said:

Only if the solar system is larger than the needs of the house, then added cost would be part of the ROI, toward the EV.

Ours is not, as needed during rainy season. At time of contracting solar install, EV wasn't being considered, as we had just bought a new ICEV.  No intension of buying an EV, due to ignorance, and prices of.   2 yrs later, enlightened, upgrade version of, at same price & govt incentive, made it a no brainer for us.

So yes, our excess solar produced energy for the EV is .... FREE energy.

During rainy season, depending on use, the solar may not even produce enough extra for the EV, if not planning one's charging.  Not a problem for us, Having the E-MB & ebike, so no really need to have use the car.  We can wait.

Grid is available if impatient. 

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

There we are in agreement, it pains me to be supporting the CCP buy buying Chinese, but there is little alternative and nothing cost competitive. 

Well, you obviously have the recourses to buy two cars, and spend half a million baht on solar panels, indicating that you also own a house; so, forgive me if claiming that financial constraints forced you to buy Chinese sounds somewhat less than sincere.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

It will be a write-off under warranty. How can that affect any insurance?

Because insurance companies are going to want a premium to insure cars that burn themselves to a crisp, leaving them liable to payout a claim for a million Baht for a new one. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

This vehicle was simply parked up and charging. If that can lead to it catching fire without any other source, then that is an issue, to be fair, yes?

It is an issue, but possibly less so than the example given earlier of an ICE vehicle that caught fire while parked up at a petrol station.

Based on the published pictures, reports and the preliminary findings of the BYD engineers, this was not actually a fire (there was overheating and smoke, but no actual flames) and it started in the car's 12V battery, not in the main EV battery. The overheating is of course still an issue, but the facts that a) it was not an actual fire and b) did not involve the main EV battery would seem to make this less concerning than it might have appeared at first blush.

• Love It 1

7 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Well, you obviously have the recourses to buy two cars, and spend half a million baht on solar panels, indicating that you also own a house; so, forgive me if claiming that financial constraints forced you to buy Chinese sounds somewhat less than sincere.

Entry level quality EVs cost the same as entry level quality ICEVs, depending of course what you are buying.

Made in TH ICEVs start @ ฿600k (4cyl/AT)

EVs start @ ฿549k

Of course you can pay less, but falls under, "you get what you pay for", so ...

... no thanks

Your earlier, now deleted comment, name a country that has no history of human rights violation.  I can't think of one.  Second thought, don't bother.  as will go off topic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Because insurance companies are going to want a premium to insure cars that burn themselves to a crisp, leaving them liable to payout a claim for a million Baht for a new one. 

So one questionable EV car fire in Bahn Nork and there goes my no claims bonus?

Apart from a few RoRo car transporter ships where one catching fire toasted the lot (and the ship), there's no evidence that EV's anywhere "burn themselves to a crisp" in any significant numbers to warrant a higher premium. None whatsoever.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Entry level quality EVs cost the same as entry level quality ICEVs, depending of course what you are buying.

Made in TH ICEVs start @ ฿600k (4cyl/AT)

EVs start @ ฿549k

Of course you can pay less, but falls under, "you get what you pay for", so ...

... no thanks

Your earlier, now deleted comment, name a country that has no history of human rights violation.  I can't think of one.  Second thought, don't bother.  as will go off topic.

I thought MG was a "Get what you pay for" ride.............????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So one questionable EV car fire in Bahn Nork and there goes my no claims bonus?

Why would YOUR no claims bonus be affected by someone else making a claim? It doesn't work like that. Typically a risk rating will be applied to the model of car and that rating will form part of the risk assessment for everyone who insures that model of car. 

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Apart from a few RoRo car transporter ships where one catching fire toasted the lot (and the ship), there's no evidence that EV's anywhere "burn themselves to a crisp" in any significant numbers to warrant a higher premium. None whatsoever.

But yes, it is a possibility given Thailand's safety standards for maintaining things like charging stations and the vehicles themselves. It's early days but if these incidents become frequent then I would expect premiums for the models that are burning themselves out due to floods, dodgy charging stations, dodgy maintenance, dodgy batteries etc. to rise.