Electric car fire: Week-old million baht vehicle ignites in Udon Thani mall

webfact

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No I don't....  But, I am completely open minded on this.

As you've disagreed with every stat presented thus far - perhaps you could find something ?

So we are now looking for: 

ICE fires per 1,000,000 km travelled (or measurable metric)

EV fires per 1,000,000 km travelled (or measurable metric)

China made EV fires per 1,000,000 km travelled (or measurable metric)

I doubt the China made EV stats are available yet, and if the stats came out of China they would be meaningless

Edited by JBChiangRai
Spillong

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Weeell, you would, and I bet you were sweating over the burned ride being an MG............????

IF it was a burnt MG we wouldn't have seen KhunLA for weeks !!!....  :giggle:

But... it was a BYD - is there a suggestion that this specific make has fire-safety issues ?

OR, is there a suggestion that Chinese made EV's have specific fire-safety issues ?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, there are reports that esp. the car batteries of Chinese ones like to go up in flames. Was the one in the OP made in China?

Yes, you’re right, there are reports that EV’s go up in flames about 10 times less often than ICE vehicles (comparing like for like).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, transam said:

Weeell, you would, and I bet you were sweating over the burned ride being an MG............????

Not even a little bit ... 

... was curious about the battery chemistry, and apparent a moot subject, as apparently, not even involved.

So 4 pages for a big nothing, as usual.

31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

No I don't....  But, I am completely open minded on this.

As you've disagreed with every stat presented thus far - perhaps you could find something ?

So we are now looking for: 

ICE fires per 1,000,000 km travelled (or measurable metric)

EV fires per 1,000,000 km travelled (or measurable metric)

China made EV fires per 1,000,000 km travelled (or measurable metric)

Absolutely ???? % correct. 

Actually, you can group 2 and 3 together, as all EV. 90% would be from China anyway.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just curious - how often do you drive your existing car, fully loaded for 700km at a time ???

There are also a lot of irrational emotional arguments against them which have poor grounding in fact. 

We have a house in Isaan, and a house on the Gulf.  We take many trips back and forth during the high season.  We even go a few times in this low season. Takes 9-10 hours door to door.  My Ranger has a 1000 km range with its 80-liter tank.  I bring bicycles, clothes and even boat parts.  It is our lifestyle and I wouldn’t change it.  I have no use for an EV at present limitations.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think his [ExpatOilWorker's] argument is against Chinese E.V's.

It's possible that BYD has a problem and the Chinese EV's are involved in combustion incidents at a greater incidence than EV's from elsewhere (i.e. Tesla) - thus he [ExpatOilWorker] wants to see stats for Chinese EV's alone. 

I think that would be a useful stat to get hold of given the discussion and that this story is about a China made BYD EV.

I am not against Chinese EV, just want to see the statistical evidence. If they are better than Teslas, so be it, but show us the numbers.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

IF it was a burnt MG we wouldn't have seen KhunLA for weeks !!!....  :giggle:

But... it was a BYD - is there a suggestion that this specific make has fire-safety issues ?

OR, is there a suggestion that Chinese made EV's have specific fire-safety issues ?

We will all be riding in EV's in the not too distant future, except me, as I will probably be in a box with no wheels by then. ????

My involvement in these threads is putting points forward, I am sure it was much the same for discussion when oil powered rides came along all those years back.

EV's are still in their early stages, but motor production is geared for speed, one hopes the battery assembly can provide 100% safety using that speed, costs saving process.

Have read a few things on BYD regarding battery fires in China, I haven't read anything that I can remember regarding battery fires in high-end cars, with high-end car oil powered engines they are meticulously assembled, unlike the mass produced stuff, is there a connection between  procedures with safety and quality EV batteries..... ????

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

12 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

highlighting the significantly greater incidences of fires involving ICE vehicles then Electric Vehicles. 

I have not found one piece of information which contradicts this. 

There is a tiny outfit in North Macedonia, Veda or Vedaing I think they are called. They are an outlier and claim that ice vehicles have less fires than EV’s, but the kicker is that their main business is in selling fire  suppression systems for lithium iron battery applications and unsurprisingly they post no details on where they get their results from.

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

We will all be riding in EV's in the not too distant future, except me, as I will probably be in a box with no wheels by then. ????

My involvement in these threads is putting points forward, I am sure it was much the same for discussion when oil powered rides came along all those years back.

EV's are still in their early stages, but motor production is geared for speed, one hopes the battery assembly can provide 100% safety using that speed, costs saving process.

Have read a few things on BYD regarding battery fires in China, I haven't read anything that I can remember regarding battery fires in high-end cars, with high-end car oil powered engines they are meticulously assembled, unlike the mass produced stuff, is there a connection between  procedures with safety and quality EV batteries..... ????

I'm not sure...  But, I suspect exotics are at greater risk of combustion incidents because of the higher temperatures they are designed to run at. 

So, for ICE's - I'd 'expect' it to be exotics driven poorly, knackered old cars, and cars involved in accidents that make up the 'combustion even stats', whereas my bias would mean I'm inclined to suspect mass and cheaply produced EV's from China to present a greater fire risk than say Tesla etc.

We'll never have 100% safety with vehicles....  I think much of the debate surrounds the fact that some people are perhaps learning that we never really did have and that seems to be a difficult fact to swallow when married with a negative bias against EV's.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, JBChiangRai said:

There is a tiny outfit in North Macedonia, Veda or  Vedaing I think they are called. They claim that ice vehicles have less fires than EV’s, but the kicker is that their main business is in selling fire  suppression systems for lithium iron battery applications and unsurprisingly they post no details on where they get their results from.

Thats another facet of the discussion... 

When it comes to...  Passengers, first responders, fire fighters, the general public etc... 

- Are 25 EV Fires more deadly / dangerous than 1530 ICE vehicle fires ?

34 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I don't think you read the article properly. Those stats were not for Tesla. The figure for Tesla was given as "one fire for every 328 million kilometres travelled." The figure of 5 fires per 1.6 billion kilometers was for EV's in general.

Fair enough, confirmation bias got the better part of me.

It would be nice to get some raw statistical data, rather than a news article. 

The age of the vehicle could also play a role. Most EVs are less than 5 years old, where there are many 15 years old ICE vehicles on the road.

Just now, richard_smith237 said:

I'm not sure...  But, I suspect exotics are at greater risk of combustion incidents because of the higher temperatures they are designed to run at. 

So, for ICE's - I'd 'expect' it to be exotics driven poorly, knackered old cars, and cars involved in accidents that make up the 'combustion even stats', whereas my bias would mean I'm inclined to suspect mass and cheaply produced EV's from China to present a greater fire risk than say Tesla etc.

We'll never have 100% safety with vehicles....  I think much of the debate surrounds the fact that some people are perhaps learning that we never really did have and that seems to be a difficult fact to swallow when married with a negative bias against EV's.

With petrol cars it is usually fuel line erosion/problem under the bonnet, fuel pump keeps pumping to keep up with the flow, equals fire.

Must be near 50 years back, driving on the M4 in London, in my Ford Granada V6, could smell petrol, pulled over, lifted the hood to find the brass hose connector that is pressed into the carb had come out ......????

The engine V was full of petrol, I was expecting the worst, it was steaming, luckily I had rag in the boot to try and soke it up before it ignited, I was lucky, but a dodgy moment, indeed. Undid the hose, whacked the fitting back in to get me home... ????

Now if it were an EV battery problem, it would be, just walk away....????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, In the jungle said:

The issue with EV fires is not the frequency.  The severity of EV fires is the problem.  I give you the Fremantle Highway as Exhibit A.

These issues can be dealt with and should be dealt with but right now many manufacturers are focusing on growth rather than safety.

Hence the question...

When it comes to...  Passengers, first responders, fire fighters, the general public etc... 

- Are 25 EV Fires more deadly / dangerous than 1530 ICE vehicle fires ?

(25 / 1530 is ratio of EV to ICE fires)

Another facet - EV fires start and spread more slowly than ICE fires giving passengers more time to egress... But, they take longer to put out and the hidden dangers of electricity and water present elevated risk to first responders. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, In the jungle said:

The issue with EV fires is not the frequency.  The severity of EV fires is the problem.  I give you the Fremantle Highway as Exhibit A.

These issues can be dealt with and should be dealt with but right now many manufacturers are focusing on growth rather than safety.

That’s a good example.

It wasn’t caused by an EV fire.

After the fire on the car cargo ship off the Dutch coast, the media hastily identified an electric car as the cause. Now it turns out – that this is not true.

Even though the cause of the fire is still unknown, the EV theory no longer holds up after the freighter was inspected. The lower four of the twelve decks are essentially undamaged, and about 1,000 cars, including the 498 electric ones, are in good condition. This is according to the chief of salvage company Royal Boskalis Westminster NV, Peter Berdowski.

According to the head of the salvage company, the four uppermost decks, on which there were no electric cars, are so damaged that it is hard to walk on them and that the vehicles there (again, no EVs!) are literally fused to the ground. The affected carmakers are now investigating how their vehicles can be moved.

Source electrive.com

• Love It 1