Banking Apps

15 minutes ago, Negita43 said:

I do not see how a single device (everything on mobile phone - once lost/stolen they can be hacked) approach is more secure than a two device system (access via pc/notebook confirmation by OTP to phone - lose one device but someone only has half of what's required for access to the account.

The biggest vulnerability in your devices is you, anyway, and that’s what hackers target through what they call “human engineering.”

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, topt said:

It is for all Thai banks. Some already offer facial rec to foreigners but not SCB.

NB - happy to be corrected if this has changed recently?

Bangkok Bank offers facial recognition to foreigners. 

Kbank doesn't. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, topt said:

It is for all Thai banks. Some already offer facial rec to foreigners but not SCB.

Maybe this is what the app update is about. 

How does facial rec work on web platforms instead of phone apps? Does it rely on a webcam?

18 hours ago, topt said:

Currently SCB do not offer facial rec to foreigners. They offer you a "waiver" that you sign to accept responsibility for any fraud or something like that and then after that is approved (other posters said takes a few days) you can transfer more than 50k.

Thanks. Ironically, scb did not know how to process our 2 ins premium payment - despite it saying on the payment form ''go to any bank counter''. I had a similar experience attempting to get a pension form witnessed, last month. I'll withdraw the cash and walk across the street where, luckily, I have an account at Krung Thai. after 30 years banking here - I'm immune to this sort of thing.  You just have to take these things in your stride. Just another reason to move away from SCB. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 11:38 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

No, apps are not "becoming the only online option". 

Long may that happy state of affairs continue!

On 9/5/2023 at 6:24 PM, Moonlover said:

I use mobile banking all the time now and do not have any concerns about it.

I earnestly hope for your sake, then, that it isn't the dreaded Bangkok Bank Bualuang m-Banking app! Accessing it has proved a hit-and-miss affair (with increasing emphasis on "miss") in my experience. After placing my finger on the screen icon and going through security checks, 1 of 3 things, then tends to happen:-

(1) Nothing at all.

(2) A dark blue screen with the Bangkok Bank logo pops up and then lingers around for several seconds before disappearing.

(3) Even worse the dreaded black screen of death appears.

So frustrated have I become at having this happen whenever I attempt to make a scanned payment (meaning that I then have no choice other than to make the necessary payment by cash instead), that I have now jacked this worse-than-useless piece of excrement by binning the app in disgust. In future I intend to rely on the far superior and user-friendlier Bualuang i-Banking facility for my modest electronic banking needs instead.

In case some IT geek on here is minded to tell me that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Bualuang m-Banking app and that it's all down to my smartphone, I should say that I've never experienced similar problems with other apps - most certainly not with Wise's app, for instance, which I do find particularly useful in scheduling transfers (although Wise do appear to have messed about with it according to the latest version I installed earlier today).

On 9/6/2023 at 11:28 AM, paddypower said:

I am in the process of switching away from scb, to Bangkok Bank

Based on my experience, you'd better brace yourself for an almighty leap from the frying pan into the fire if you're minded to go down the app route with Bangkok Bank (if you haven't already made the jump), I think!

Edited by OJAS
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/5/2023 at 5:38 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

No, apps are not "becoming the only online option".  Just two Thai banks out of many, i.e. a small minority, have gone down that route and none of the others have indicated that they would be following suit.

TTB are shutting down the online banking service on 18th October 2023.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, OJAS said:

I earnestly hope for your sake, then, that it isn't the dreaded Bangkok Bank Bualuang m-Banking app! Accessing it has proved a hit-and-miss affair (with increasing emphasis on "miss") in my experience. After placing my finger on the screen icon and going through security checks, 1 of 3 things, then tends to happen:-

(1) Nothing at all.

(2) A dark blue screen with the Bangkok Bank logo pops up and then lingers around for several seconds before disappearing.

So frustrated have I become at having this happen whenever I attempt to make a scanned payment (meaning that I then have no choice other than to make the necessary payment by cash instead), that I have now jacked this worse-than-useless piece of excrement by binning the app in disgust. In future I intend to rely on the far superior and user-friendlier Bualuang i-Banking facility for my modest electronic banking needs instead.

In case some IT geek on here is minded to tell me that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Bualuang m-Banking app and that it's all down to my smartphone, I should say that I've never experienced similar problems with other apps - most certainly not with Wise's app, for instance, which I do find particularly useful in scheduling transfers (although Wise do appear to have messed about with it according to the latest version I installed earlier today).

Based on my experience, you'd better brace yourself for an almighty leap from the frying pan into the fire if you're minded to go down the app route with Bangkok Bank (if you haven't already made the jump), I think!

Normally I would reply and say that I have no problems with the app and it must be you, BUT logging in today to scan a payment, I found the new version to be very inferior to the previous version. It feels like a beta mode that is still working out the kinks.

I'm sure they will get it right, but its slow and cumbersome now.

My Krungsri and Kasikorn apps work splendidly.

36 minutes ago, sandyf said:

TTB are shutting down the online banking service on 18th October 2023.

I hope you didn't want to insinuate that the scouser was pedantic, as always, but in the near future Thai banks will have no other choice than to close their online banking, for the simple reason that BOT has changed some rules that will make it difficult for online banking to comply with.

How many people have a PC that is capable of facial recognition?

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-central-bank-issues-new-measures-to-deal-with-online-banking-scams/

Banks are required to strengthen their identity verification through the use of biometrics, such facial recognition, when a customer wants to make online transfer of more than 50,000 baht or to increase the daily transfer limit to above 50,000 baht.

Edited by BenStark

34 minutes ago, BenStark said:

. . . . but in the near future Thai banks will have no other choice than to close their online banking, for the simple reason that BOT has changed some rules that will make it difficult for online banking to comply with.

How many people have a PC that is capable of facial recognition?

Most laptops have a built in camera.  Those that don't, and desktops, could be equipped with a webcam and the banks would just have to integrate facial recognition into their web interfaces.  They do have the choice if they want to exercise it.

However I don't think they will as it's easier for them to support one platform rather than two.

1. If I install the apps on a spare phone which will never leave my property does it have  to have a sim in it?

2. If it does - does the sim only have to be in for the set up and installation of the app or does it always have to be in the phone (ie can the app be used over WIFI).

My SCB bank app is on my spare phone

To pay my AIS + Electric + water bills every month simple take the sim out of my everyday Smartphone put in the spare phone  for 10 mins pay bills done

not sure now a day you used to be able to get a 2nd 'Clone' sim card

Another thing to remember is the Bank App will only install on Android 10 or above, so if you have a old smartphone with lower that Android 10 the app will not install

On 9/5/2023 at 6:56 AM, markwhite said:

Same as you in that I resisted the need to move to a "phone for everything" as opposed to using a PC where I could control the environment the software ran in. But after Krung Thai removed their web front-end to online banking and went app only, I've installed and activated the app. And notwithstanding any insecurities which are not immediately obvious from casual use, it is useful. Booked some plane tickets in person on Sunday and scanning a QR code on the counter-top device and checking the transaction was right before hitting "Confirm" was a lot easier than making 4 withdrawals from the ATM and giving them cash. Same with household bills. I'm reluctantly seeing the benefits...

Anyway (for Krung Thai app)

1) It'll work over wifi or mobile data, so if you're only using wifi you should be fine (don't remember if it was mobile data only for install as suggested by OneMoreFarang)

2) Wifi only is fine.

There is no OTP. On install it requires a Thai ID card number, and should accept the NDID thing that farang can't get, so I did have to visit the bank branch to get it activated. The cashier knew what she was doing and it was painless. By default she set it to a fingerprint check for each transaction, though I changed that to use a PIN instead. So no OTP, but other secondary permissions are needed (though possibly could be disabled completely).

Like it or not this is the direction banks are going in many countries; one digital / computer based scenario handling all the banks transactions and processes.

Bottom line: much cheaper for the bank to buy, maintain one computer system covering all of their banking. In the past most banks had several computer systems, pretty much stand alone, and with limited ability to operate across multiple systems which stand alone weren't designed/built to handle multiple activities.

One of my banks in Oz has beeen going through the same thing. In the past they had stand alone computer systems (mostly bought from different vendors) for: deposits / withdrawals, operate ATM activities, credit cards, loan activities, etc., and all with very limited capability to 'talk' to the other systems.

Now all on one computer system, designed / built/ programmed wih standard coding etc., to handle every aspect of banking. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, BenStark said:

I hope you didn't want to insinuate that the scouser was pedantic, as always, but in the near future Thai banks will have no other choice than to close their online banking, for the simple reason that BOT has changed some rules that will make it difficult for online banking to comply with.

You would have to show me where I suggested otherwise.

Your response should have been directed to the statement I responded to.

"Just two Thai banks out of many, i.e. a small minority, have gone down that route and none of the others have indicated that they would be following suit."

On 9/27/2023 at 12:55 AM, treetops said:

Most laptops have a built in camera.  Those that don't, and desktops, could be equipped with a webcam and the banks would just have to integrate facial recognition into their web interfaces.  They do have the choice if they want to exercise it.

However I don't think they will as it's easier for them to support one platform rather than two.

Interesting observation. I think the developments of these apps, at least the ones Thai banks have adopted, is early stage stuff. I have to use a sophisticated facial recognition app, for my digital mail. it incorporates 3 scans - passport photo, passport chip and facial scan. works like a charm. But it is a Scandinavian Govt system. Best be patient - today was the future, yesterday.

Edited by paddypower
spell

Bangkok Bank's facial recognition system for payments over Bht 50,000 had worked flawlessly for me until yesterday when the app requested an update. 

Bottom line; I will need to go to the bank to have it assessed as the scanning process now has a buffering effect going on and no longer processes the payment. 

Two separate payments to the same merchant immediately after the other is fine though. TIT

17 hours ago, sandyf said:

You are perfectly free to ignore the writing on the wall, the more astute will take note.

"... the majority of Thai banks have not shut down their online facilities."

Would have been more fruitful to mention that they are/have upgraded their apps so all transactions are possible / will be done on the app.

Therefore the bank concerned is using / maitaining just one computer system which encompasses / supports everything. And massive reductions in operating costs. 

All of the above is happening in Australia, and some banks are saying that their aim is to:

- Increase transactions on 1 app.

- Conduct more transactions by telephone (and some banks have said they have already been conducting more detailed staff training so that whoever answers a phone call from a customer can handle / complete the transaction over the phone. (Here in LOS K Bank customers might have noticed the call centre staff are nowadays a lot more deeply knowledgeable and can handle the calls. On the other hand the other big bank call centre staff struggle to give detailed answers.)

- Decrease the need for customers to go to a branch. (ultimately meaning less branches and big operating cost reductions).

- Decrease the usage of ATM machines, and decrease the total number of ATM machines and therefore big operating cost reductions. 

Seems to me that the cost savings by moving to the scenario just above are enormous and all Thai banks will eventually move to the above set up. 

Some banks faster than others. 

Edited by scorecard

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

Seems to me that the cost savings by moving to the scenario just above are enormous and all Thai banks will eventually move to the above set up. 

Yes, the technological changes that most western banks are ringing will eventually be seen here in sleepy old Thailand. One notable change is how rapidly various banks are downsizing their ATM coverage as POS systems and security verification methods become more sophisticated and secure with less need to have folding stuff in your wallet.

*Baiting comments removed*

• Confused 1

On 9/27/2023 at 12:07 AM, OJAS said:

(1) Nothing at all.

Meanwhile, on a ship currently offshore Sarawak, I use the Bangkok Bank app to make transactions via the Starlink LEO satellite system and their Japan downlink.

2 out of 10

Must try harder.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, the technological changes that most western banks are ringing will eventually be seen here in sleepy old Thailand. One notable change is how rapidly various banks are downsizing their ATM coverage as POS systems and security verification methods become more sophisticated and secure with less need to have folding stuff in your wallet.

*Baiting comments removed*

Thailand is way in advance of UK banking.

Everyone here now uses QR codes to pay for everything. The UK is still stuck using debit cards.

Here the banks hand you your debit card over the counter, back in the UK they want 14 days to post it to so criminals can have a go intercepting it and using it first.

UK banking security is a bad joke!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scorecard said:

"... the majority of Thai banks have not shut down their online facilities."

Would have been more fruitful to mention that they are/have upgraded their apps so all transactions are possible / will be done on the app.

Therefore the bank concerned is using / maitaining just one computer system which encompasses / supports everything. And massive reductions in operating costs. 

All of the above is happening in Australia, and some banks are saying that their aim is to:

- Increase transactions on 1 app.

- Conduct more transactions by telephone (and some banks have said they have already been conducting more detailed staff training so that whoever answers a phone call from a customer can handle / complete the transaction over the phone. (Here in LOS K Bank customers might have noticed the call centre staff are nowadays a lot more deeply knowledgeable and can handle the calls. On the other hand the other big bank call centre staff struggle to give detailed answers.)

- Decrease the need for customers to go to a branch. (ultimately meaning less branches and big operating cost reductions).

- Decrease the usage of ATM machines, and decrease the total number of ATM machines and therefore big operating cost reductions. 

Why the lecture when what you quoted was said by someone else?

It is a flaw in the system, the quote is now attributed to you.

Edited by sandyf

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Thailand is way in advance of UK banking.

Everyone here now uses QR codes to pay for everything. The UK is still stuck using debit cards.

Here the banks hand you your debit card over the counter, back in the UK they want 14 days to post it to so criminals can have a go intercepting it and using it first.

You have tried 'tap and go' here have you?

I am waiting for the old hags at Makro to move towards that technology - QR codes take then ages, just as bad in 7-11.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Tell me about it. My card was on collect at branch, they sent it to the wrong branch. When it was located I told them to leave it and I would collect it from there. The wrong branch sent it to the right branch, who then sent it back to the wrong branch, they sent it back to the right branch.

Got over £100 in compensation for the running around.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I suspect Makro and 7/11 (both controlled by CP) are not wanting this technology because it means they would have to pay bank fees etc., on every transaction. 

On the other hand CP has massive advanced resources and surprised they haven't developed a 'work around' so they don't lose out 'cause of commissions, fees etc.