DUI Victims Urge Prime Minister for Road Safety Reform

webfact

2 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Never a mention of 'driving under the influence of drugs' here in LOS.

I suspect that they do not test for this.

In the UK, this offence is far more common than DUI in many areas. Cannabis and cocaine being the two most popular substances.

Damned druggies!

• Haha 1

All of that proposed there is a nonsense.

It is culturally acceptable to drink and drive here in Thailand. As long as it remains so, nothing will change.

Thailand needs a road safety campaign starting with properly punishing drunk drivers with long prison sentences and hefty fines. 

I don't think there is the will, courage, or resolution to do what is necessary though. They are too greedy and lazy to effect real change.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I miss that the RTP has to start to do their job by fining no helmets, proper checks at checkpoints instead of only watch the taxreceipt on the window, take crazy drives of the roads, check the overloaded cars, trucks and pick ups, etc etc. 

And educate people/parents, not to let their kids drive motorcycles when they can't have a drivers license yet

Insurance companies has to stop paying damages if drivers have no driverslicense, helmet,s etc, in that case persons are self responsible and pay the damages out of their own pockets.. Even if they have to sell their cars, or houses for it..Judges should punish much harder

Do insurance companies pay out if drivers don't have a licence, helmets ect? I know the insurance doesn't cover you if you don't have a licence.  I can't see insurance companies paying out if they don't need to. 

Drink driving is only one part of the problem. It needs proper training, testing and enforcement.  A big ask here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Personal experience in Sri Lanka a few years back.  Gov't opened a new highway from airport to Colombo city, and prior to opening, did a blitz of TV and radio ads, teaching basics of highway safety, namely, staying on left side when driving slow, leaving right lane open for fast drivers, staying at least 5 car lengths away from car in front, etc. etc.

AMAZINGLY, the ENTIRE COUNTRY changed absolutely ridiculous driving habits, to a really acceptable level of compliance with the basics, taught to them on TV & radio!!!

• Thumbs Up 1