High-speed pickup collides with trailer in Khon Kaen, killing two instantly

snoop1130

Truck-collision.jpg

A high-speed pickup truck collided with a trailer truck attempting a U-turn, killing two people instantly. The pickup driver, an employee delivering goods, and an unidentified passenger died at the scene. The incident occurred at 3am yesterday, near the Makro shopping centre, Chum Phae district, Khon Kaen province.

At the accident scene, in the middle of the road at a U-turn point, authorities found a 22-wheel Isuzu trailer truck, registered under licence 70-1629 from Lopburi. The truck was parked, apparently, mid-U-turn across the road. There were signs of impact beneath the middle of the truck, where the pickup had crashed through to the other side.

The other vehicle involved was a Chevrolet pickup truck, registered under licence 1 ฒพ 8996 from Bangkok. It was found crushed against a road sign in the middle of the road, heavily damaged on the top, bonnet and cab sections. Officers and rescue workers extricated Aphirom and another passenger from the wreckage.

Meanwhile, the 29 year old trailer truck driver, named Thongchai, was waiting at the scene for the officers. He said he was about to turn the vehicle around to deliver goods to the nearby Makro shopping centre when the pickup came speeding straight towards him and crashed violently, resulting in the fatalities, reported KhaoSod.

By Nattapong Westwood

Caption: Picture courtesy of Dailynews

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/road-deaths/high-speed-pickup-collides-with-trailer-in-khon-kaen-killing-two-instantly

-- The Thaiger 2023-09-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

After once driving in towards Chantaburi at night (9pm) it was so pitch black, I had to drive at around 50kmh not to out-drive my full beams..... 

Must have been something utterly wrong with those lights (or your eyes) if you couldn't see driving at only 31mph!

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, BarraMarra said:

Sounds likely the pickup was traveling at high speed to cause that amount of damage to the pick up. I would guess he never saw the wagon till it was too late. and a high-speed impact was almost certain.

We can ask LL what speed he was going to outdrive his headlights and not be able to stop in time... 

He knows about this stuff... :giggle:

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

We can ask LL what speed he was going to outdrive his headlights and not be able to stop in time... 

He knows about this stuff... :giggle:

A decent Scenes of crime and accident inspector will be able to find out the impact speed. Id say past 70 even over 100 kms.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Sounds likely the pickup was traveling at high speed to cause that amount of damage

no kidding

it is lack of enforcement of basic traffic rules that end up with this

if the Thai police were doing their job properly there would be very few dunk drivers on the roads and the same applies to speeding 

the police need to do their job - I am not convinced they even know what their job is but what I do know - there are to many sensless lives being lost and if the police actually did there job they would be saving countless lives 

• Like 1

Those delivery pickup trucks are among the most dangerous vehicles on the roads here. For themselves and others. 

Young guys driving vehicles that aren't theirs, they aren't paying for, and have no responsibility for.

Paid in a manner that means the faster they get the job done the more time they have for themselves.

The vehicles are powered to haul a$s.

Bored driving around all day everyday. 

The ego kick of racing and beating everyone else on the road.

Add energy drinks or yaba pills into the mix. 

It's a shame that this guy took a passenger with him, but lucky he didn't take out a few cars with families in them. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
11 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:
12 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

poor lighting, no lights on the side of the lorry.... 

Speeding pickup, heavily tinted windows...

Utter speculation, apart from the speeding.

Expand  

Can't believe you also missed this bit of speculation...

Thanks for the confirmation.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Well, I don't have any links, there is no dash-cam footage and I can't offer you unequivocal proof of the speed I was traveling...

The speed may have actually been 51kmh or even 60kmh, possibly even 80kmh at intervals....    

I can't even remember if it was exactly 9pm or if it was closer to 8pm or perhaps even closer to 10pm...

... I can't offer anything quite so specific as to meet your 'out there on the spectrum' needs..... 

I can offer my point which in your 'Asperger's-esque' haste to criticise within the narrow-minded confines of your inflexible rigid little mind, you missed... 

...I had to drive at a speed I felt was slow because it was so dark and driving any faster felt dangerous... meanwhile, there were other vehicles which shot past at speeds far greater than I was travelling... 

... And guess what LL.... I have no dash-cam footage or proof of the exact speed the other vehicles were passing at either... its just an estimate... 

... Sorry, no links to news sources either...   :giggle:

Thanks for confirming my thoughts.

• Sad 1

I used this U-turn yesterday morning (as so often).

No more remains to be seen.

Allowed speed is 90 km/h (highway 12).

And speeding way above is not rare.

Traffic is fast as no lights or stops for many kilometers.

Even in daylight it's a challenge to pass the two oncoming lanes.

There is no special lighting at this U-turn.

Signage and some flash light. Good enough for a careful driver.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Amazing this country wants a space program but cannot design roads with roundabouts !

It would not cost a fortune to install floodlights at this frequented U-turn.

Just for a start.

A direct entry to the MAKRO secured with traffic lights? Too much.

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 hours ago, Maejo Man said:

I think your estimates are rather on the low side seeing that...."There were signs of impact beneath the middle of the truck, where the pickup had crashed through to the other side." It ended up crashing into a street sign!!

Damn right

On these kinds of roads, I do 100.

And there is ALWAYS someone up my backside (inches away) and when they get passed me, they speed off at a minimum of 120.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, smedly said:

no kidding

it is lack of enforcement of basic traffic rules that end up with this

if the Thai police were doing their job properly there would be very few dunk drivers on the roads and the same applies to speeding 

the police need to do their job - I am not convinced they even know what their job is but what I do know - there are to many sensless lives being lost and if the police actually did there job they would be saving countless lives 

Why blame the police when it's the drivers at fault?

That's like me saying, I killed someone someone because the police weren't there to stop me People have to take personal accountability for their actions, in this case they didn't and it cost them their lives.

I do believe that stronger enforcement / media messages would help and it pains me to say it but more speed cameras with heavier fines.

Edited by Chelseafan

7 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Why blame the police when it's the drivers at fault?

That's like me saying, I killed someone someone because the police weren't there to stop me People have to take personal accountability for their actions, in this case they didn't and it cost them their lives.

I do believe that stronger enforcement / media messages would help and it pains me to say it but more speed cameras with heavier fines.

imagine for example the UK  police announcing that they would no longer enforce traffic laws - MOT'S were also binned, how long would it take before we see road safety deteriorate, you obviouly don't understand the roll that police play and more so - human behavior