One Year Marriage Extension

Hello all,

I've been in and out of the country on a one year multi entry non-imm visa based upon marriage.  I'm now going to be staying in Thailand permanently and as my current visa is ending I want to do the 1 year in country extension.  However, it took me a while to get a bank account open which I now have, but I'm less than two months until my current stamp runs out (I've already done the 60 day extension).  So my plan was to pop back to HCMC and get another non-imm visa then when my 400k has been in the bank for long enough to extend this for another year. 

This is all fairly straight forward, however, I've stumbled across a visa agent who claim to be able to get me a 1 year extension for around 40k and I don't need 400k in the bank.  To be honest I'd happily pay the 40k for one year to save me the hassle of going a redoing the visa again, I can then start doing my own 1 year extensions from next year.  However, I'm a bit concerned how legit this is, I know TiT and all that, but I thought the 400k in a bank for two months was non-negotiable.  Apparently it's not done at my local immigration centre, but rather an upcountry one and they will also take care of my 90 day reporting during the year.  The agent seem to be fairly well recommended on various sites, but I wondered if anyone has experience of doing the extension this way ?

14 hours ago, Melpomene said:

Hello all,

I've been in and out of the country on a one year multi entry non-imm visa based upon marriage.  I'm now going to be staying in Thailand permanently and as my current visa is ending I want to do the 1 year in country extension.  However, it took me a while to get a bank account open which I now have, but I'm less than two months until my current stamp runs out (I've already done the 60 day extension).  So my plan was to pop back to HCMC and get another non-imm visa then when my 400k has been in the bank for long enough to extend this for another year. 

This is all fairly straight forward, however, I've stumbled across a visa agent who claim to be able to get me a 1 year extension for around 40k and I don't need 400k in the bank.  To be honest I'd happily pay the 40k for one year to save me the hassle of going a redoing the visa again, I can then start doing my own 1 year extensions from next year.  However, I'm a bit concerned how legit this is, I know TiT and all that, but I thought the 400k in a bank for two months was non-negotiable.  Apparently it's not done at my local immigration centre, but rather an upcountry one and they will also take care of my 90 day reporting during the year.  The agent seem to be fairly well recommended on various sites, but I wondered if anyone has experience of doing the extension this way ?

Do it the legal way, you may be setting yourself up for future trouble..

Do a border hop, allow your deposit to become seasoned and do it your self for 1900 baht.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

This would be illegal and could land you in big trouble.

How is it illegal? The issuing IO's senior officer has dispensation in the issuing of extensions, it may not be the "best" way of doing it, but unless the stamps are fake, it is not illegal.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

15 hours ago, Melpomene said:

Hello all,

Do it yourself, learn the ins and outs and you'll build knowledge and confidence to manage your own account. You're going to essentially fill out all the paperwork yourself and present yourselves to immigration presumably with the agent. Why bother? Oh yes, the illegal magic that might compound problems later down the road.

Never understood the agent thing save for the desperate brokies.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2023 at 3:17 PM, Melpomene said:

Since you are married you can get a 60 day extension to "visit your wife", would that give enough time to ensure your funds are "seasoned"?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brianthainess said:
11 hours ago, Jelli said:

Never understood the agent thing save for the desperate brokies

10 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Don't forget the disabled.

An agent is not necessary for a disabled person, providing they have a cooperative partner or friend. My (now deceased) German neighbour was an amputee and could not attend the office in person. His wife did 2 extensions for him and they were very cooperative and helpful.

Read the second page of a TM7. (see attached)

New TM7.pdf

Edited by Moonlover
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

An agent is not necessary for a disabled person, providing they have a cooperative partner or friend. My (now deceased) German neighbour was an amputee and could not attend the office in person. His wife did 2 extensions for him and they were very cooperative and helpful.

New TM7.pdf 135.13 kB · 3 downloads

I had a married  disabled friend, his bitch of a wife left him on his own and unable to do Anything and I mean ANYTHING for his self, she took all his money in the bank, M/C and car, he Needed to change quickly to a retirement visa, the only way was to use an agent (RIP Jeff)  MND is awful. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I had a married  disabled friend, his bitch of a wife left him on his own and unable to do Anything and I mean ANYTHING for his self, she took all his money in the bank, M/C and car, he Needed to change quickly to a retirement visa, the only way was to use an agent (RIP Jeff)  MND is awful. 

Well, there are exceptions to every rule and I did say 'cooperative partner or friend'. Who was taking care of him may I ask?

Just now, Moonlover said:

Well, there are exceptions to every rule and I did say 'cooperative partner or friend'. Who was taking care of him may I ask?

I had to drive 7hrs one way to go rescue him, my wife and I got him a  cheap place very near us, my missus found a lady, to give him day care, at only 4k+ her own room, a month, as he slowly got worse she moved in with him, until he passed away last year. All he had was a disability pension from OZ. 

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

New TM7.pdf 135.13 kB · 3 downloads

I use the IO at Kamphaeng Phet as I live in the province for my marriage extension based on income.

A couple of weeks before my extension last October I fell and damaged my right arm and elbow and couldn't write or sign anything.

My wife explained to the lady IO and she said that it would be OK and that she would sort it out for me, and she did.

I have to renew it next month and I am building the files for the extension (2 copies, 1 for KPP and 1 for region 5 at CM.

I have used the offices at Mae Sot, Nakhon Sawan and KPP over the years and I have always found them farang friendly and very helpful.

For the OP. It may be an idea to visit your normal office and explain your situation. They should give you advice and hopefully give you a work around for your problem.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Since you are married you can get a 60 day extension to "visit your wife", would that give enough time to ensure your funds are "seasoned"?

He did say:

However, it took me a while to get a bank account open which I now have, but I'm less than two months until my current stamp runs out (I've already done the 60 day extension).  So my plan was to pop back to HCMC and get another non-imm visa then when my 400k has been in the bank for long enough to extend this for another year. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

And they also have the dispensation to allow extensions that don't tick all the boxes.

No, they don't, although I'm sure that's what they'd like you to believe.

ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU No. 327/2557

Subject: Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien’s Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand 

5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien's application.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

I had to drive 7hrs one way to go rescue him, my wife and I got him a  cheap place very near us, my missus found a lady, to give him day care, at only 4k+ her own room, a month, as he slowly got worse she moved in with him, until he passed away last year. All he had was a disability pension from OZ. 

Thanks for sharing this tale. It's heartening to know that there are people out there who care.

13 hours ago, Jelli said:

Do it yourself, learn the ins and outs and you'll build knowledge and confidence to manage your own account. You're going to essentially fill out all the paperwork yourself and present yourselves to immigration presumably with the agent. Why bother? Oh yes, the illegal magic that might compound problems later down the road.

Never understood the agent thing save for the desperate brokies.

Absolutely spot on @Jelli. I've been doing my own marriage extensions using the income method for the last 7 years. We've had a couple of hic-ups along the way, but our friendly and cooperative IO has always helped us to sort out these issues without any drama.

And just this week we went down to Sakon Nakhon to do number 8 and it went without a hitch. In and out in 45 minutes. 

I always cringe when I read, yet again, 'use an agent'. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Liquorice said:

No, they don't, although I'm sure that's what they'd like you to believe.

ORDER OF THE IMMIGRATION BUREAU No. 327/2557

Subject: Criteria and Conditions for Consideration of an Alien’s Application for a Temporary Stay in the Kingdom of Thailand 

5. In the case where an alien applicant does not meet the full qualifications stipulated by the criteria herein or in other cases not specified in this Order but a competent officer equivalent to or higher than inspector is of the opinion that the alien has legitimate reason for staying in the Kingdom of Thailand, the application shall be forwarded to the Commander of the Royal Thai Police or an authorized competent officer for further consideration of the alien's application.

Last sentence - "authorised competent officer" - well that could be anyone.

Edited by Tuvoc
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, Tuvoc said:

Last sentence - "authorised competent officer" - well that could be anyone.

It wouldn't be an official you'd likely meet at your Provincial IO.
Only a senior ranking official from HQ.

Provincial IO's don't even have the authority to sign off extensions based on marriage.