Thailand makes headlines: Top 30 ranking in US News & World Report’s Best Countries List

webfact

For reference from link to OP:

The best country in the world goes to Switzerland while the list’s tail end is occupied by Iran. Notably, several Asian nations have secured impressive rankings, including Japan in 6th place, Singapore 16th, China 20th, and South Korea 21st.

Among ............. the (ASEAN) countries, Malaysia secured 38th position, followed by Indonesia 41st, the Philippines 43rd, Vietnam 44th, Cambodia 64th, and Myanmar 80th.

Well I'm blowed! Burma (Myanmar) doing better than Iran.

6 hours ago, Enzian said:

Daily life certainly is an adventure here: avoiding STDs, avoiding impact with 2500 lbs of steel and glass marked TAXI, not losing your mind over the operations of the RTP Immigration division, fighting off alcoholism wet syndrome, counting the daily loss of brain cells due to heat and humidity, avoiding snakes and scorpions and tropical diseases, and arguing with your mates that your girl is "different"!

Stop sleeping with hookers then. Temps are not that hot. Rarely seen snakes. Look left and right before crossing the road.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2023 at 4:10 AM, webfact said:

The list was created considering each nation’s global performance in various aspects. For example, daily life adventure, agility, cultural influence, entrepreneurship, heritage, quality of life, and more.

Rubbish

How vague and nebulous. What does any of that mean?

What cultural reach?

Daily life adventure. Yes, quite an adventure for many scratching out a living

• Like 1

On 9/9/2023 at 4:41 PM, Burma Bill said:

For reference from link to OP:

The best country in the world goes to Switzerland while the list’s tail end is occupied by Iran. Notably, several Asian nations have secured impressive rankings, including Japan in 6th place, Singapore 16th, China 20th, and South Korea 21st.

Among ............. the (ASEAN) countries, Malaysia secured 38th position, followed by Indonesia 41st, the Philippines 43rd, Vietnam 44th, Cambodia 64th, and Myanmar 80th.

Well I'm blowed! Burma (Myanmar) doing better than Iran.

I know Japan very well. 6th place doesn't surprise me. It's clean, law-abiding, one of the lowest accident rates on the road, good courteous drivers. great, great, great food. Some strange customs as in all places. I was nearly mown down twice today in the short walk from the supermarket by speeding young men on bicycles. They have bike lanes parked on the roadways but for some reason most cyclists prefer to ride on the sidewalk, that way if they crash, it's not them that gets hurt, it's the old folk walking innocently about. I have no idea why they allow it. Could you imagine NYC with thousands of cyclists careering down the sidewalks there? Insane. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/9/2023 at 3:32 PM, bignok said:

Stop sleeping with hookers then. Temps are not that hot. Rarely seen snakes. Look left and right before crossing the road.

Temps are not that hot? The best way to determine temperature in any region is using "average annual temperature" and the hottest place in the whole of Asia is Bangkok.

The data is a bit old (1981 - 2010), but the comparisons still valid:

WARMEST LOCATIONS IN IMPORTANT SUB REGIONS
8. Asia (outside of the Arabian Peninsula): Klong Thoey, Bangkok, Thailand: 30.3°C/86.5°F (POR 1981-2010).
13.59°N, 100.42°E

Warmest places on earth - average annual temperatures

Edited by JensenZ
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Temps are not that hot? The best way to determine temperature in any region is using "average annual temperature" and the hottest place in the whole of Asia is Bangkok.

Don't care what it says. It doesn't seem too hot to me, either. And that's what matters. I live in Bangkok all year round without a/c until very late at night, for the most part. Thailand/Bangkok is a great place to live.

43 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

The data is a bit old (1981 - 2010), but the comparisons still valid:

WARMEST LOCATIONS IN IMPORTANT SUB REGIONS
8. Asia (outside of the Arabian Peninsula): Klong Thoey, Bangkok, Thailand: 30.3°C/86.5°F (POR 1981-2010).
13.59°N, 100.42°E

Warmest places on earth - average annual temperatures

30 is perfect temp

6 hours ago, redwhiteandblue said:

No mention of pollution, rubbish everywhere, jet-ski and taxi mafia, soi dogs everywhere, rabies, malaria, dengue fever, corruption and corrupt police then 

Malaria in Thailand? Not been an issue since last century. What jetski mafia is there in Bangkok or CM? Thailand has Grab, Bolt and Maxim. Cheap trains, cheap flights, cheap hotels, cheap food.

Clearly your negative rant says more about you

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

Don't care what it says. It doesn't seem too hot to me, either. And that's what matters. I live in Bangkok all year round without a/c until very late at night, for the most part. Thailand/Bangkok is a great place to live.

I'm not complaining about the temperatures and have lived here for nearly 18 years, but...

I was showing that the temperature in Thailand is as hot as it gets (not max, but average annual). What you THINK of the temperature is irrelavent as the facts speak for themselves. It's a very hot country.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, bignok said:

30 is perfect temp

It depends on what you're doing. It's not perfect if you like to get off your a** and do vigorous physical exercise. In that case, 20 - 25C is perfect. My gym is held at 27C with fans, and my bedroom is 26C.

Just in case you missed the point, and I think you did... 30C was the annual average termperature. An average taken for 24 hours x 365 days. The humidity is also another very important factor to consider.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

It depends on what you're doing. It's not perfect if you like to get off your a** and do vigorous physical exercise. In that case, 20 - 25C is perfect. My gym is held at 27C with fans, and my bedroom is 26C.

Just in case you missed the point, and I think you did... 30C was the annual average termperature. An average taken for 24 hours x 365 days. The humidity is also another very important factor to consider.

I walk around in 34 all the time. You need to toughen up.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

I'm not complaining about the temperatures and have lived here for nearly 18 years, but...

I was showing that the temperature in Thailand is as hot as it gets (not max, but average annual). What you THINK of the temperature is irrelavent as the facts speak for themselves. It's a very hot country.

48 in some countries but much cooler at night. Thailand is only hot for 2 months a year. 

1 hour ago, bignok said:

48 in some countries but much cooler at night. Thailand is only hot for 2 months a year. 

Thailand is hot year round. Some people never leave the comfort of their homes except to go to the store, in an air conditioned car. It isn't the heat that's so bad, although with the humidity, it is, because back where I'm from in Texas it's actually hotter on average than here. It gets cold in Texas, and snows sometimes, and it has seasons, which Thailand doesn't. The rainy season here is a disaster in itself. Dirt roads, one of which I drive on to get to the main road, is like driving in oatmeal during the rainy season, and like driving in dust the rest of the year. Rain is constant, so you can't do much of anything outside. It brings bugs, which is another major problem. I thought Texas was bad, but it doesn't compare to the stinging and biting insects here, especially scorpions, ants and centipedes. I see snakes almost every other day, and some of these are among the worst on earth, so I'm always worried about my 6 year old walking around. People complain about the dogs, and they are a problem, even though I like dogs, I've never seen so many loose ones in my life, and it makes driving a hazard daily. I never hit a dog in 45 years of driving all over the US, but have hit three here. I saw all run off, but not sure what happened afterward. Malaria isn't bad here but Dengue is. I fear for my daughter more than myself, but don't want it either. I don't see the "mafia" where I live, but knew about the human trafficking that goes on here for many years, and it's a major reason I won't allow my daughter to stay too much longer here. It is cheaper to live here though.

• Thanks 2