A stark reminder of Thai "hospitality"

mike111

On 9/10/2023 at 10:44 AM, mike111 said:

I bought a pack of rubbish bags at 7-11 yesterday. Didn't open it & had the receipt.

Went back to the same shop today, approached the staff at the entrance to show I came in with the item & asked if I could exchange for something else. She said yes.

Good, collected a few snacks and headed back to the cashier. Out of nowhere she says "cannot". Surprised I asked why and she replied "more than 1 day".

WTF. I bought a pack of plastic bags less than 24h ago, never opened the pack & cannot exchange ? I didn't even ask for a refund.

Then I insisted and told her that the other staff said this would be possible. The gates of hell then opened wide ensuing with swearing in Thai, angry faces and what not. Eventually she said "I give you money back". I said I can just get other items instead but she insisted I just get the money & leave the shop, as a punishment for my wrongdoings.

I left determined not to place a foot in that shop again.

Moral of the story:

1. A reminder that foreigners are welcome in Thailand only while they're walking ATMs. If you're actually asking for something back, well...good luck.

2. 7-11 has ridiculous unwritten (at least in English) policies. Caveat emptor.

typical Thai if you ask me.

why does everyone say they are so nice?

I dont think so..........the niceness is all an act

me me me attitude is norm here.

selfishness and lack of manners is typical.

ever know a Thai let you out in traffic?

ever know a Thai let you in front at checkout if you have only 1 item?

still............its better than UK........and ok for me now........but i need regular visits away or it drives me nuts

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

Not a possibility, as I pay my bills first. Lived there, paid for a house 32 years, before moving here. I would have stayed in that house if she moved there, but she wanted to stay in a country where she had no relationship to speak of with anyone in her family.  When I go back, I'll rent to own, and then mortgage, just like everyone else does that re locates.

You can get a mortgage when over 60? 

They won't allow that in the UK.

5 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

typical Thai if you ask me.

why does everyone say they are so nice?

I dont think so..........the niceness is all an act

me me me attitude is norm here.

selfishness and lack of manners is typical.

ever know a Thai let you out in traffic?

still............its better than UK........and ok for me now........but i need regular visits away or it drives me nuts

So Thais are nicer than Brits. Rare you guys admit it.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

So you would take a teenage girls story over an adult farang? 

As I said in the post that you replied to, I would like to hear her side of the story first , but even saying that , hearing just his side of the story , he does seem to be making a big fuss about nothing and of course he cannot just put an item back and take another item, that would be theft .

He was asking the cashier whether he could steal something and I can understand her getting annoyed 

2 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

As I said in the post that you replied to, I would like to hear her side of the story first , but even saying that , hearing just his side of the story , he does seem to be making a big fuss about nothing and of course he cannot just put an item back and take another item, that would be theft .

He was asking the cashier whether he could steal something and I can understand her getting annoyed 

I didn't see anything regarding him stealing anything. Just exchanging for other items or a cash refund.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I didn't see anything regarding him stealing anything. Just exchanging for other items or a cash refund.

He wanted to put the bin bags back and take something else off the shelf without paying for the second item , that would have been theft, because he didn't pay for the second item .

You cannot pay for things with bin bags , you cannot barter 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

He wanted to put the bin bags back and take something else off the shelf without paying for the second item , that would have been theft, because he didn't pay for the second item .

You cannot pay for things with bin bags , you cannot barter 

He wanted to exchange for items equal to the bin bags. That's an exchange, as you can for anything for equal or lesser value, depending on their policy.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

He wanted to exchange for items equal to the bin bags. That's an exchange, as you can for anything for equal or lesser value, depending on their policy.

It would have to register at the till as being sold .

Scan the item and receive payment and then the item has been sold , it would mess up their stock records if the item wasn't scanned and their till records would show the new taken item as being in stock and the bin bags as not being in stock 

On 9/10/2023 at 1:44 PM, mike111 said:

I left determined not to place a foot in that shop again.

Um, I had passport photos done for 150 baht, Embassy emailed me and said cannot accept as they had been photoshopped unbeknown to me.

Did I go back, nope, but never will, suffice to say went across the road and got some done for 200 baht.

Because the 1st shop failed to deliver to me what I wanted, i.e. passport photos, they will never get my business again, and when the wife and children are due for their passports next year, it will be across the road.

Was I pi$$ed off that I did the 150 baht, yes, but I couldn't return the photos as 2 had gone in with the passport renewal application to the embassy.

Moral of the story, remember where you are and smile as they do.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4MyEgo said:

Um, I had passport photos done for 150 baht, Embassy emailed me and said cannot accept as they had been photoshopped unbeknown to me.

Did I go back, nope, but never will, suffice to say went across the road and got some done for 200 baht.

Because the 1st shop failed to deliver to me what I wanted, i.e. passport photos, they will never get my business again, and when the wife and children are due for their passports next year, it will be across the road.

Was I pi$$ed off that I did the 150 baht, yes, but I couldn't return the photos as 2 had gone in with the passport renewal application to the embassy.

Moral of the story, remember where you are and smile as they do.

Could you go back to the first shop and let them know that their photos are not acceptable because they are photo shopped  , explain that they were not accepted .

They would probably change their process to developing  photos that are acceptable .

That would be helpful to all concerned in the future

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

This has nothing to do with Thai hospitality. Try living in Russia, China or Japan for awhile. I find most Thais to be kind and pleasant. Some are indifferent. I will take the indifference of Thais, over the hostility of Russians. 

China is nice, everyone was friendly (as friendly as people with no ability to communicate), one example when I was on the train some rural farm types insisted on sharing their fruit with me, another was when I hunted down a policeman to help me find the bus station (he used his phone translation app), not been to Russia or Japan.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

let them know that their photos are not acceptable because they are photo shopped  , explain that they were not accepted .

They would probably change their process to developing  photos that are acceptable .

Surely your not that naive .... how long have you been here,   they certainly won't listen to a grumpy farang who's trying to tell them how to run their business that's for damn sure. 

Edited by steven100
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, nickmondo said:

In 7/11's , customers do not often have more than a few items , so theres no need to let a person with 1 item in front , (if the other person has a few items)

Supermarkets often have tills for people with a few items , so people with trolleys go to one till and people with baskets go to another till. 

Theres not much opportunity to let customers ahead of you if they just have one item 

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Surely your not that naive .... how long have you been here,   they certainly won't listen to a grumpy farang who's trying to tell them how to run their business that's for damn sure. 

If you refrain from shouting and being abusive and confrontational and politely explain that the Embassy didn't accept the photos because of photo shopping  , its quite likely that they wouldn't photoshop photos in the future .

IMO, that would be the better thing to do, rather than boycotting the shop 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/10/2023 at 3:04 AM, richard_smith237 said:

The first member of staff was simply not very sharp and didn't catch my Thai.

Battery is the same word in English and Thai BTW !!!... (just different intonation).

I believe that Thais use "battery" to refer to batteries within cars, computers and smartphones. 

If seeking batteries at 7-11, I suspect you would see better results if you use the Thai word for "charcoal" (It would be helpful to write Thai script here, but I believe its usage is prohibited outside the language forum.).  

After saying the word for "charcoal," then specify by using the Thai word for "size" (a two-syllable word beginning with a "k" sound), and then add  "A"  or  "AA"  or "AAA."

Edited by BananaBandit

12 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

If you refrain from shouting and being abusive and confrontational and politely explain that the Embassy didn't accept the photos because of photo shopping  , its quite likely that they wouldn't photoshop photos in the future .

IMO, that would be the better thing to do, rather than boycotting the shop 

while what you say is correct and the best way to approach it .... imo I don't think the shop will do anything as I mentioned ....  you think a Thai shop owner will listen or even like a farang trying to explain how his business should run?  even though you may be right.   Just saying.

I know how thai's think and it's not the way you would expect or the logical way,  it's me me I'm the shop owner and a farang is telling me what i'm doing wrong...   haha    good luck with that one.     

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

while what you say is correct and the best way to approach it .... imo I don't think the shop will do anything as I mentioned ....  you think a Thai shop owner will listen or even like a farang trying to explain how his business should run?  even though you may be right.   Just saying.

I know how thai's think and it's not the way you would expect or the logical way,  it's me me I'm the shop owner and a farang is telling me what i'm doing wrong...   haha    good luck with that one.     

I did have a similar situation where I got some passport photos done and my face was too big as the UK has strict PP photo measurements .

I showed him the required measurements  and he printed some more photos .

I didn't boycott the shop or write a social media post about it 

On 9/10/2023 at 11:41 AM, fredwiggy said:

I am as soon as I can, trust me. The longer you stay here, besides the brown nosers, the more you understand the mentality of what goes on, and the more you miss what reality is.

The longer you stay here the more you understand the reality of it. If it happened then it was definitely real.

Wherever you are and whatever happens to you, unless you're asleep, then it's reality. Reality is one of those things that happens whether you like it or not.

Much wiser to acknowledge reality than not; fantasy can get you into trouble.

I'm an American too, and I can assure that there are many realities there that I don't like either. That's one reason I'm here.

Up to you.