No Plans to Shut Down Facebook in Thailand, Says New Digital Minister

webfact

1 hour ago, Muzzique said:

Great job, have a stupid idea, spend a lot of money to plan for it then throw the idea away. Taxpayers money well spent as usual.

How was it planned that cost 'a lot of money' to do? You've made a statement of fact, now back it up with evidence please. As far as I know, an outgoing minster made a statement about an action that he was never going to carry through, but you apparently have more insight into what that cost than the rest of us do.

Or did you just make it up, the same as the ex-minister did?

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Thieves are the issue, not the platform. You do not shut down an entire open market as someone fleeced you for some expensive dodgy flip-flops !

This reflects what I've said before, and it applies to all social media. The companies are not to blame, it is the people who mis-use it. Whatever humans invent, it is certain to be corrupted because we are a flawed species.

• Like 1

At last, someone with some foresight, something usually lacking in Thai Government!

Usually, the answer is an ill thought out knee jerk reaction to a problem without any thought to the consequences.

For instance, a few years ago, a rail employee who was high on drugs, raped and murdered a young girl and threw her off the train. The answer - stop the sale and drinking of alcohol by everybody travelling on trains!!! Goodness knows how much revenue this has lost the Thai Railways System - I used to use the service regularly from Surat Thani to Bangkok, but after that ridiculous decision have stopped using Thai trains, and I know a few of my friends who are of the same mind!!!

The closing down of Facebook in Thailand would have been a disaster for the economy, and the outgoing Digital Economy and Society Minister Chaiwat Thanakamanusorn   is travelling in the right direction - OUT! 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Minister of the Digital Economy and Society Mr. Prasert Chantararuangthong might be a sharper knife in the Thai government drawer than his predecessor. 

It is possibly the most ridiculous idea to close down Facebook as Thailand has literally nothing to say in the operation of Facebook. What they can do is to block access to Facebook from a Thai IP server which would create havoc among the millions and millions of Thais who waste their working hours on "friending" and "liking" all that carp which flies around on Facebook these days. While it took 3+ months to formulate a new "government", you can take it to the bank that it will take 24 - 48 hours to unseat the present leadership due to afore-mentioned addiction to all these social media offerings. 

The problem is not Facebook but the very own (Thai) citizen who cheat on all the others. So get more transparency, educate your citizen before the fall victim. 

Closing Facebook is dealing with the symptoms but not with the root of the problem which is, once more again, their own loving fellow citizen! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The New Minister of the Digital Economy and Society Mr. Prasert Chantararuangthong

Since the new government , more p0rn sites are blocked .

So this guy Mr. Prasert Chantararuangthong is doing it ?

Shut down facebook , yeah !

Don't touch the naughty sites .

VPN is slower.