Electricity consumption expected to surge in 2027 due to increased use of EVs

webfact

4 hours ago, sungod said:

I tend to get out at my destination, kinda defeats the object of traveling otherwise. ????

What triggered my comment, was when I went out to my vehicle yesterday. Walking through BigCX carpark, I passed quite a few cars/trucks with sidelights on, and engine running.

Edited by jacko45k

4 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

I am neither a lover or hater of EV's but tell me what the big advantage of them is because I cant find anything to justify the price.

For me the main one is how they drive, silent, very fast and you can't buy ICE performance anywhere near the EV price.

22 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

For me the main one is how they drive, silent, very fast and you can't buy ICE performance anywhere near the EV price.

@Photoguy21 Yea, what he said, performance.  Savings to maintain & operate.

They don't cost more than ICEVs. 

MG EP @ ฿771K

MG4 @ ฿869K

MG ZS @ ฿949K

Comparable featured ICEVs cost same or more.

If not having solar, cost for 360kms

Comparing MG ZS EV vs ICEV version

EV - ฿208 per 360 kms (฿4.5/kWh (46.3kWh)

ICEV - ฿1015 per 360 kms (฿39.5/L (14kpL)

EV - 20k kms @ ฿11,555

ICEV - 20k  kms @ ฿56,388

Edited by KhunLA

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

MG EP @ ฿771K

MG4 @ ฿869K

MG ZS @ ฿949K

If not having solar, cost for 360kms

What about charging times, battery replacement costs and second hand value? These surely must be a downside to having one

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

MG EP @ 771K

MG4 @ 859K

MG ZS @ 949K

If not having solar, for us, cost for 360kms

Is battery leakage not a long term concern for our EV owners?

Who haven't opened an old remote control or flashlight to find leaking batteries?

leaky-cell-featured.jpg

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

What about charging times, battery replacement costs and second hand value? These surely must be a downside to having one

My charging is done at home overnight, if traveling far then maybe 20-30 minutes at service station whilst having a coffee.

Battery longevity is currently estimated at 15-20 years.

Nobody knows about 2nd hand value yet, but I think it's going to be good.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Is battery leakage not a long term concern for our EV owners?

Who haven't opened an old remote control or flashlight to find leaking batteries?

leaky-cell-featured.jpg

Gruber Motor Company repairing old Tesla Roadster battery packs haven't found any leakage.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Battery warranty for 8 yrs

ICEV petrol cost for 8 yrs = ฿450k

... nuff said

If you have to ask the same queries over & over, then EV isn't for you.  Not that you would ever consider one anyway.

Have a nice day

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If you have to ask the same queries over & over, then EV isn't for you.  Not that you would ever consider one anyway.

@Photoguy21

That opinion from your anti EV/CH stance:

CH makes crap

ignorance of batteries

and again

more ignorance

more of your silliness

you just can't stop trolling the EV threads .... Just Stop

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

Gruber Motor Company repairing old Tesla Roadster battery packs haven't found any leakage.

That is great ???? and when the Chinese rushed into this new industry and are mass producing cars faster than they can build ships to carry them away, they overnight adopted quality control and moved beyond long traditions of cost cutting?

I honestly think it is great you enjoy your EV and your car might operate trouble free for as long as you need.

I just fear the Chinese EV miracle might turn into a nightmare for some car owners. 

Even Japanese cars were junk when they first came along in the '60 and '70. Quality takes time.

31 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Even Japanese cars were junk when they first came along in the '60 and '70. Quality takes time.

I think that is a lesson that cost MG dear.

When they came here with MG3, 5 & 6 they were terrible and they lost the confidence of the Thai people, they are clawing it back slowly but it would have been so much better if they got it right first time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

I think that is a lesson that cost MG dear.

When they came here with MG3, 5 & 6 they were terrible and they lost the confidence of the Thai people, they are clawing it back slowly but it would have been so much better if they got it right first time.

Yes, I peeked at the MG3 when it first got here, and didn't even bother with a test drive, as it met my negative expectations, just on the showroom floor.  They certainly turned that around.  

So glad I took another peek, few years later, MG3 still didn't do much for me, as wanting to move up from the Mazda 2, instead of the same.   But the ZS in the other corner of the showroom impressed for ride, price point & value.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mithunonthenet said:

And just like China, will Thailand increase the number of coal plants to produce cheap electricity?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/apr/24/china-ramps-up-coal-power-despite-carbon-neutral-pledges

Highly doubtful, as have 2 online now (Rayong & Lampang), and 2 pre-permit stage (Krabi & Songkhla).  One planned for PKK got cancelled.

PKK, aside from natural gas, went solar, and solar farms almost produces as much as the coal pant would have.

Any others are private own/used.

Edited by KhunLA

20 hours ago, stoner said:

right. rather than having an actual discussion.

is it not a valid question to ask where this new electricity will come from. and the source. 

Solar panels. When the sun is out you charge a car. If you look at Google satellites view in places like Australia you can see solar panels on rooftops everywhere. In Thailand. Zero.  Obviously petrol cars will be around for many more years to come with the policies in place. It's just humans are not good at organising things. Control and monetization is of first importance. Not the well being and health of planet, animals and people.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

Don't you think it's more likely that increasing use of EV's triggers more green electricity production? Or that the Gov't subsidies on EV's are part of a wider "Green" plan?

I do 100%.

Or conversely, there may be complacency, that now private vehicles are not pumping out the pollutants, we can afford a bit more at the power station chimneys! Reducing that requires some focus and long term effort too..... along with public transport, goods transportation (HGVs and the like), trains, lawn mowers and many other sources, even rubbish disposal. I was in Bangkok recently, and despite the electric trains, I felt it unsafe to even breathe with the level of vehicle pollution. 

7 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Australia you can see solar panels on rooftops everywhere. In Thailand. Zero. 

You're not looking very hard.  But if you have not interest, I guess you wouldn't notice many things.  Whether while out & about or on Gmap.

Edited by KhunLA

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Or conversely, there may be complacency, that now private vehicles are not pumping out the pollutants, we can afford a bit more at the power station chimneys! Reducing that requires some focus and long term effort too..... along with public transport, goods transportation (HGVs and the like), trains, lawn mowers and many other sources, even rubbish disposal. I was in Bangkok recently, and despite the electric trains, I felt it unsafe to even breathe with the level of vehicle pollution. 

Were you driving an EV, or adding to that pollution?  Hopefully not the latter.

2 minutes ago, positivevibes said:

Global warming is the biggest scam after the fake pandemic.

People that go along with these agendas are intellectually disabled, in other words, completely retarded.

Good to have some positive vibes at the EV thread ️. 

It is a new technology and I can see it has a segment in the car market.

For some people a pickup truck is the right car, others a station car, some need a family saloon. How about a hot hatchback, a SUV or why not, an EV?

The "green" argument is total garbage and it is sad that many governments "force" us toward EVs.

Let technology and free will decide the future of transportation. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Good to have some positive vibes at the EV thread ️. 

It is a new technology and I can see it has a segment in the car market.

For some people a pickup truck is the right car, others a station car, some need a family saloon. How about a hot hatchback, a SUV or why not, an EV?

The "green" argument is total garbage and it is sad that many governments "force" us toward EVs.

Let technology and free will decide the future of transportation. 

I have made a <deleted> tonne from US oil stocks. Thank you for your hard work.

The wokes can go choke on a plant.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1