Transferring Visa to a New passport

At CW last month they wanted filled in application form your old and new passport, copy of old and new passport bio page and copy of old visa/extension of stay and you need a copy of your last entry into Thailand, i had a particular hard time she wanted a copy of my last 90 day report and print out of TM30

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=3202      number 22

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bigt3116 said:

If you truly mean VISA, then these are not transferred, you just carry both passports

True that visas are not transfered however information reference to the visa is so no need to carry both passports.

OP, note that there have been reports of some offices requiring your bankbook.

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

True that visas are not transfered however information reference to the visa is so no need to carry both passports.

Although this probably does not apply to the OP, if he wanted to use the visa to enter Thailand, he would need both passports. As you are aware, the visa is not transferred to the new passport, and the reference back to it in the new passport is insufficient to use it to enter Thailand.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Read my post again, I am telling the OP that if he has a valid VISA, then that is not transferred and he carries both passports!!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Although this probably does not apply to the OP, if he wanted to use the visa to enter Thailand, he would need both passports.

True.

However the OP is in Thailand and been on extensions based on retirement from his other posts.

• Like 1

All legit immigration forms have an ID number such as TM30, TM47. TM6 etc. The above form doesn't seem to have this notification and I can only assume it's a scam worked by the office to obtain a fee?

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

All legit immigration forms have an ID number such as TM30, TM47. TM6 etc. The above form doesn't seem to have this notification and I can only assume it's a scam worked by the office to obtain a fee?

No, it's a legit form used at Chaengwattana too.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

I never payed a fee at Chiang Mai and I was asked to fill in the above form. 

But the form you filled in didn't carry an ID number signifying as to its purpose which is standard procedure at government offices in Thailand.  All it said was TM.

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Locally developed forms can be legit and, unlike the standard forms, will not have such identification numbers. Thai officials love paper, and some senior officials are in heaven when designing their own contribution to paper waste. They can be used for extortion purposes, but more often are just a bright idea of the senior official's.

Thanks for All the replies and advice. But still not clear from the replies.Do we need to transfer the Visa stamp to the new passport or is it optional to keep it in the old passport and carry two passports when departing and entering the country .

6 minutes ago, steveb5 said:

Thanks for All the replies and advice. But still not clear from the replies.Do we need to transfer the Visa stamp to the new passport or is it optional to keep it in the old passport and carry two passports when departing and entering the country .

If by visa you mean a sticker or stamp issued by a Thai Embassy overseas, then it cannot be transferred. You just keep both passports until the visa has expired.

If you actually mean an Extension of Stay ("admitted until...') stamp, issued at a point of entry into Thailand or an Immigration office in Thailand, you need to get the stamp transferred.

7 minutes ago, steveb5 said:

I assume you acquired the new passport while in Thailand.

You are not obliged to transfer anything from the old to the new passport within any specific period of time.

If you make a trip out of Thailand without having had stamp transfer done, the airport officials will do the minimal necessary transfers to allow them to then stamp you out of Thailand using the new passport. This leaves you in a sort of half and half state where some stamps remain in the old passport. You will continue to need both passports for travel while in that state.

When you visit your immigration office for any other service (such as a new extension of stay) the official will transfer additional stamps from the old to the new passport. That will include your previous extension and (if originally issued by them) re-entry permit.

Visas and, sometimes, re-entry permits are not transferred. If there are unexpired visas or re-entry permits in the old passport that were not transferred to the new passport, you will still need the old passport to travel, but this will not apply to most people.

19 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

It's form 22 on the immigration's website, page 3, you can download it from there. There is no TM number.

https://www.immigration.go.th/en/?page_id=3202

Edited by 4MyEgo