Thailand’s airlines resist price war despite rising operational costs

webfact

59 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

That's hilarious, wouldn't be a bad idea for a certain airline, no names mentioned (AA) to refund me my money for 4 tickets from a year ago after cancelling my flight.

Ditto. Our flight to Phuket was cancelled back in 2021, so we received a credit valid for 730 days. When we used the credit in March 2023, the flight to Phuket was again cancelled, so we now got a new credit to be used in the future (maybe??).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Resist?

What exactly would be the urge to cut costs whilst expenses rise?

A race to bankruptcy?

Seems to me the only thing that needs resisting is the urge to raise prices.

Volume...

Sure, they lose some money on each and every ticket, but they make it up in volume.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I'm looking at a flight London - Bangkok rtn in February '24. The last time I looked Thai Airways were wanting about £200 more than Eva Air (Taiwanese) for the same direct flight, and Eva are probably a nicer airline.

Just completed my return leg with Eva. Can confirm not only was it the most competitive and direct flight too,the aircraft was modern AND the baggage allowance was TWO X 23 kg checked bags even in economy which I took full advantage of to bring a load of stuff that's expensive here.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

That's hilarious, wouldn't be a bad idea for a certain airline, no names mentioned (AA) to refund me my money for 4 tickets from a year ago after cancelling my flight.

I will contact the Cabinet of the Transport Ministry to claim, i am a heart patient and cannot flight anymore, they received a medical certificate, the bank process was busy and after 1 month u turn, not able to pay back they give me 3 months credit account, no way i go further.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

As per CAAT rules, the upper limit for low-cost airfares is set at 9.4 baht (US$ 0.27) per kilometre, while full-service airfares are capped at 13.0 baht (US$ 0.37) per km.

So with approximately 500 kilometers from Suvarnabhumi to Samui this makes Bangkok Airways' ticket price almost cheap; i.e., 500 x 13.0 baht = 6,500 baht...:whistling:

10 minutes ago, Funkymover said:

I always love the western  guys who loves to think they are so thai, that they  run down the western thinkers 

I don't claim, nor aspire to be Thai.  But I worked with several dozen who were extremely competent.

I'd give a Thai a much better chance of succeeding in a western company than I'd give a westerner to succeed in a Thai company.

Edit:  You know how to get an extremely competent Thai to come work for your company?  You offer them 1/4 of what you'd have to pay a marginally competent westerner to fill the same role.  Instead of 1/8, like most western companies seem to try...

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, MrMojoRisin said:

Resist?

What exactly would be the urge to cut costs whilst expenses rise?

A race to bankruptcy?

Seems to me the only thing that needs resisting is the urge to raise prices.

It is get more passengers to fill the planes and get increased revenue. It can work, but other airlines soon cut their prices and you can end up worse off.

18 hours ago, vivananahuahin said:

I will contact the Cabinet of the Transport Ministry to claim, i am a heart patient and cannot flight anymore, they received a medical certificate, the bank process was busy and after 1 month u turn, not able to pay back they give me 3 months credit account, no way i go further.

Try contacting the Thai Office of Consumer Protection, they maybe able to help you with a refund.

21 hours ago, khunPer said:

So with approximately 500 kilometers from Suvarnabhumi to Samui this makes Bangkok Airways' ticket price almost cheap; i.e., 500 x 13.0 baht = 6,500 baht...:whistling:

Funny, as soon as I read the article I did the same thing. Wondering why my flight next week cost me 10,800 baht. But you made the same mistake as I did - that is one way. 1,000 x 13 baht = 13,000 baht return. So they are well within the cap.

On 9/16/2023 at 2:23 AM, impulse said:

Volume...

Sure, they lose some money on each and every ticket, but they make it up in volume.

If you're loosing money on each ticket sold you still loose, as volume doesn't matter if it's a loss. 

Now, if they only make a little each ticket then yes volume is a factor. 

On 9/16/2023 at 11:37 AM, DjSilver said:

Thai airways will go bankruptcy again. They have higher prices than let's say Qatar Airwats, Emirates and Etihad. However, their service and quality isn't even close to half. This is why most people doesn't want to pay overpriced for less. And Thai Airways are managed by Thais, so no wonder it goes bad. Thai business is never successful in the long run, since Thais only see fast money now.

Not my personal experience from my last 2 trips in April and August.  Qatar was £200 more expensive for a one-stop with not exactly great transit times when compared to a direct with Thai but most probably due to them sharing with BA?  Both Emirates and Etihad were roughly the same price or marginally under Thai but again with not exactly great transit times and the Emirates flight took off from Heathrow and returned to Gatwick. ????  

On 9/16/2023 at 11:37 AM, DjSilver said:

Thai airways will go bankruptcy again. They have higher prices than let's say Qatar Airwats, Emirates and Etihad. However, their service and quality isn't even close to half. This is why most people doesn't want to pay overpriced for less. And Thai Airways are managed by Thais, so no wonder it goes bad. Thai business is never successful in the long run, since Thais only see fast money now.

Thai would've gone bust 20 years ago if they weren't government-backed.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Trip Hop said:

Not my personal experience from my last 2 trips in April and August.  Qatar was £200 more expensive for a one-stop with not exactly great transit times when compared to a direct with Thai but most probably due to them sharing with BA?  Both Emirates and Etihad were roughly the same price or marginally under Thai but again with not exactly great transit times and the Emirates flight took off from Heathrow and returned to Gatwick. ????  

If it's 3 hours transit time, that is great. One only have to stay at the lounge eating, drunking, relaxing and having a shower. I always try to find transit time with around 3-4 hours when traveling with my 5 year old daughter.

On 9/17/2023 at 7:53 AM, josephbloggs said:
On 9/16/2023 at 10:25 AM, khunPer said:

Funny, as soon as I read the article I did the same thing. Wondering why my flight next week cost me 10,800 baht. But you made the same mistake as I did - that is one way. 1,000 x 13 baht = 13,000 baht return. So they are well within the cap.

No, I didn't make any mistake, 500 kilometers "from Suvarnabhumi to Samui" is the one way stretch from Bangkok to Samui. A one way ticket with Bangkok Airways is in the level of 5,000 baht, depending of departure time; early morning bird is still cheaper...:whistling:

On 9/16/2023 at 2:00 PM, Andrew65 said:

I'm looking at a flight London - Bangkok rtn in February '24. The last time I looked Thai Airways were wanting about £200 more than Eva Air (Taiwanese) for the same direct flight, and Eva are probably a nicer airline.

Just Book EVA M8......

On 9/16/2023 at 2:38 PM, nchuckle said:

Just completed my return leg with Eva. Can confirm not only was it the most competitive and direct flight too,the aircraft was modern AND the baggage allowance was TWO X 23 kg checked bags even in economy which I took full advantage of to bring a load of stuff that's expensive here.

That's a Hell of a lot of OXO Cubes M8