Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

5 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The RD doesn't have the power to reinterpret the law which has stood without challenge for 38 years.  If there is to a be a reinterpretation, this should be the role of the Tax Court.  

He says the reinterpretation flies in the face of established tax law principles which require that, if a law is unclear and has two possible meanings, it should be interpreted in the way that is more favorable to taxpayers.  <snip>

If they insist on going ahead with a type of global taxation, it should be properly thought through with all types of income and overseas tax practices and DTAs thoroughly reviewed first.

Thanks. Very helpful.

17 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

The RD's unilateral amendment to the Tax Code could easily open the floodgates for that sort of extortion again. 

Yes, it may well not be the tax payment itself that is the worry, but yet another basis to extort. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, ukrules said:

This is exactly what would happen, it's exactly what I would do if I needed some money in a hurry

By back to back loans what Kittipong meant was, for example, X Co based in HK borrows HK$ and lends them to a subsidiary of Thai based Z Co in HK. Meanwhile Z Co in Bangkok reciprocates by borrowing in baht which it lends to a Thai subsidiary or affiliate of the HK based X Co which uses the funds to invest in a Thai project. X Co in HK is, of course, a shell company established in HK by a wealthy Thai investor for the purpose of repatriating funds to Thailand tax free. The profits of the new Thai venture remain in Thailand but principle can be remitted offshore with interest if desired. Alternatively, the loan could perhaps be structured as a convertible with an option to convert to equity and not bother with servicing and the debt. The super wealthy will find ways around this. 

For regular expats some type of loan mechanism may be possible, if you have an offshore company with a bank account or another name you can route money through. A loan agreement could be set up that rolls up all interest as a bullet payment for a 10 year term which is extendable indefinitely at the discretion of the lender.  Perhaps naturalized Thai citizens can adopt a Thai name and lend to themselves from an account in their birth name. 555. The RD might need to come up with another reinterpretation to reclassify this type of loan as income but it would probably take them many years to track the unrepaid loans. One could also issue a new loan to repay the principle and forgive the interest which would be taxable in remittance and restart the clock.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Somjot said:

Some Ministry had asked for a comparative study. They wanted to know which factor had the greatest impact on the development of the rural region in Issan, the Thai government projects, the Thai NGO projects, or the money sent by foreigners to their Thai girlfriends or wives.

“And?” I asked “what was the result?”

“We were never allowed to publish it.” He answered.

“Why?”

“It was devastating” he said with a serious face, then he took a big sip and finished “Devastating for us.”

That is another example of what is seriously wrong in Thailand. Those of us married to a Thai, especially those who are from Isaan, know only too well the positive impact our money has on the locals - especially those that live there.  But the majority of the Thai authorities do not want to know that fact for vested interests.  And when it is shown - the Thais quickly hide the truth, because they know that the authorities do not want to know.  

Thailand - the ultimate epitome of 'the XXX has no clothes' syndrome.  Some would say that Pita was the young boy who spoke out (far too loudly). 

• Thanks 1

Hello,

I’m new to the forum and joined primarily because of this topic.

Just recently applied for the Elite Visa prior to the September 15th deadline and now I am unsure how to proceed when I receive the approval letter.

From my prior research, Elite Visa holders were not required to pay foreign income tax as residents (seemingly even for income earned/transferred within the same tax year.)

Curious if anyone expects this to change as it relates to Elite Visa holders?

If so, would it be possible to avoid income tax by paying for bills/purchases directly with foreign credit cards/bank accounts? 

Thanks in advance for your insights.

2 minutes ago, K2938 said:

Just by analogy have a look at these UK rules (shown here even in a simplified way) and you can see that things can get extremely complicated with remittance taxation:  

https://pjdtax.co.uk/updates/can-i-transfer-money-to-the-uk/

Of course, nobody knows what the eventual Thai rules will be, but you should expect a bureaucratic nightmare

Very useful comparison.  It would be much more of a nightmare in Thailand because they are incapable of setting up clear rules like this and so much is left to the discretion and interpretation of different government offices and individual officials, not to mention endemic corruption and extortion. 

One of the recommendations made me laugh - open a new offshore account every year.  Did it occur to the writer how difficult it is to open offshore accounts nowadays or just onshore accounts with an overseas address?  You have to find a bank that will do it first. Then go through their KYC and compliance regulations.  One Swiss banker told him he tried to open an account for a guy who had made many millions from crypto. The bank's compliance department spent months demanding document after document and finally rejected the application.  I can see the point of opening new accounts to segregate funds but I don't think this is a viable approach for expats here. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a wild card:

What if under CPR or just anyways Thai banks insist on a TIN to open or MAINTAIN a Thai bank account? Anybody not already registered for tax would have to register for tax in order to maintain the account and be able to present a bank book at extension time.

SCB ALREADY requires a TIN to open a new account for foreigner apparently. There is always the risk that could be extended to existing accounts.

Views?

Edited by mokwit
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

What if under CPR or just anyways Thai banks insist on a TIN to open or MAINTAIN a Thai bank account? Anybody not already registered for tax would have to register for tax in order to maintain the account and be able to present a bank book at extension time.

SCB ALREADY requires a TIN to open a new account for foreigner apparently. There is always the risk that could be extended to existing accounts.

Views?

It does not really matter since not having a TIN does not spare you from taxation.  Some people have mentioned this, but this is just an illusion.  If you entered Thailand legally which I assume, the Thai authorities know about you and can find you.  Having a TIN facilitates things for the Thai authorities, but not having one does not really save you.

6 minutes ago, K2938 said:

It does not really matter since not having a TIN does not spare you from taxation.  Some people have mentioned this, but this is just an illusion.  If you entered Thailand legally which I assume, the Thai authorities know about you and can find you.  Having a TIN facilitates things for the Thai authorities, but not having one does not really save you.

My understanding is if you are here for 180 days+ BUT are not eligible for taxation e.g. because you have been transferring money in the year after it is earned you strictly speaking do not have to register - you are kind of on your honour to register if you have taxable income.

In other words just being here 180+ days does not require you to register but that AND having taxable income does.

Happy to be told I am wrong if I am.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, mokwit said:

My understanding is if you are here for 180 days+ BUT are not eligible for taxation e.g. because you have been transferring money in the year after it is earned you strictly speaking do not have to register - you are kind of on your honour to register if you have taxable income.

True, but I interpreted your question such that you wanted to ask if by not having a TIN you could avoid violating the new tax rules.  And that would not be the case.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, K2938 said:

True, but I interpreted your question such that you wanted to ask if by not having a TIN you could avoid violating the new tax rules.  And that would not be the case.

The point I was making was that you might have a situation where you can't not have a TIN to maintain a bank account and you need a bank account for visa extensions.

True, if the new law comes in people who are legitimately walking around without a TIN now may be required to have one by law anyway.

Here is 10 year old article from the Nation which discusses the difficulty of getting foreign tax credits for those earning money from employment overseas who need to remit the money to Thailand for living expenses.  https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30210696

This is going to apply to many of Thailand's overseas labourers whose families in Thailand depend on their remittances, as well as expats.

I note one part in particular referring to use of DTAs:

"But even then, actually getting the FTC from the Thai Revenue Department is not easy. Success in getting the FTC depends on presentation, defence and how an FTC refund request is substantiated and documented to the Revenue Department."

That makes clear that in the few cases the RD currently has to deal with, getting the RD to accept foreign tax credits will depend on the documentation provided and discretion of individual officials.

On 9/29/2023 at 9:35 AM, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Liable Taxation is like Murder, it never goes away and if/when you are caught out, the investigation and punishment is backdated. That is what seriosuly worries me. In 5-8-10-12 years time I receive a letter from Thai RD claiming that I owe millions of baht in back taxes, advising me that my passport has been 'held' and any attempt to leave Thailand before finalisation of the issue is a criminal offence and will be severely punishable (and will be an admission of guilt). 

There is a statute of limitations - 2-5 years if you filed, courts apply 10 years max if you didn't.

Google: 'How long can a tax man go back in time to assess you' with name of a Bangkok based newspaper.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, blackcab said:

When applying for a Non-B extension for the purpose of working for a Thai company you have to submit your previous years PND91 to prove income tax has been paid.

I am sure you still have to submit the paper but apparently Imm now have online access - that could be used for retirement applicant checking also.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, beammeup said:

Some have suggested that you may need a TIN in order to maintain a Thai bank account. Does that include the 40 or so million Thais that don't have a TIN but have bank accounts?

Good point: Seems pointless when of the 40 million Thais many are not eligible for income tax.

Don't know what the Thai interpretation would be but in the UK, officially all UK citizens must be tax resident to have a UK bank account, no?

What we DO know is that one bank (SCB) are now requiring a tax ID for foreigners to open a bank account BUT: that may just be a way of screening out less profitable accounts. Contrary to popular belief Thai banks don't really want foreigner accounts because they don't make enough money from them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Liable Taxation is like Murder, it never goes away and if/when you are caught out, the investigation and punishment is backdated. That is what seriosuly worries me. In 5-8-10-12 years time I receive a letter from Thai RD claiming that I owe millions of baht in back taxes, advising me that my passport has been 'held' and any attempt to leave Thailand before finalisation of the issue is a criminal offence and will be severely punishable (and will be an admission of guilt). 

It is actually @TroubleandGrumpy who said this, but lets assume that you really did not pay tax for lets say a few years, 4, 5. Do you then think it is better before December 31, 2023 to approach the RD to declare that instead of occasionally get caught in 8 years if this seriously worries you ? It could well be that many are in this situation. I have even heard the story (nothing but rumour of course) of someone who wanted to declare this pension but was sent home by RD. They said at the time it was too complicated for them to verify when what was paid when and did not even provide him with a tax ID. But this may be just a story (which I can hardly really believe I must admit).

2 hours ago, K2938 said:

Just by analogy have a look at these UK rules (shown here even in a simplified way) and you can see that things can get extremely complicated with remittance taxation:  

https://pjdtax.co.uk/updates/can-i-transfer-money-to-the-uk/
Of course, nobody knows what the eventual Thai rules will be, but you should expect a bureaucratic nightmare

I just got another 'nightmare' scenario just sent to me by a legal/tax expert:

Quote: "The new rules state that if you spend more than 180 days in Thailand per year, you will be required to declare all of your foreign income, regardless of when it was earned or whether it was remitted to Thailand. This is a significant change from the previous rules, which only required you to declare foreign income that was remitted to Thailand. The Thai Revenue Department is still working out the details of the new rules, so it is not yet clear what additional paperwork or translations will be required. However, it is important to be aware of the new rules and to start planning for how you will comply with them."

Please note that this is advice and may not be pertinent or correct or apply to everyone. 

But if I/we are now legally required to report/declare all of my 'foreign income' to the Thai RD (meaning all my transfers into my Thai bank account) this is going to be a nightmare. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

"The new rules state that if you spend more than 180 days in Thailand per year, you will be required to declare all of your foreign income, regardless of when it was earned or whether it was remitted to Thailand. This is a significant change from the previous rules, which only required you to declare foreign income that was remitted to Thailand. The Thai Revenue Department is still working out the details of the new rules, so it is not yet clear what additional paperwork or translations will be required. However, it is important to be aware of the new rules and to start planning for how you will comply with them."

Very strange about declaring ALL income if it is not remitted and not sure what the purpose of that should be.  If you do not mind the question, may I ask if this was from a highly reputable tax firm, like one of the Big 4?

• Thumbs Up 1