Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

What part of ANY, don't you understand?

Any? I have got many.

What I don't understand is what you are getting at - or are you just trolling again.

I would be asking about specific qualifications, if it was indeed relevant at all. 

Which it isn't.

19 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Not likely. According to a recent BP article, there were (only) 156,596 expats in 2022. Exchange rates are mostly influenced by a strong/weak dollar, the crude oil price, or if Thailand's exports slump significantly.

That 150K is the number of employed 'well off' Expats in Thailand - and the largest group is the Japanese.  That number is reliable because the numbers are counted and monitored by the Thai Govt.

It is estimated that there are about 250-300K 'well off' Expats who are either retired or marrried or digital nomads etc. Expats being any foreigner that stays in Thailand over 180 days in a year. That number is not counted or monitored as such - each Province does it differently and most do not count how many. 

They also estimated (at peak) that 1.5 to 2 million 'poorer' workers were in Thailand working (legally and illegally) with the vast majority being from the bordering countries.

18 hours ago, John Drake said:

So all those of us from the US need to do is submit our IRS filings (which includes our social security numbers, financial status, home address, phone numbers, and bank accounts) to the Thai tax department and where it goes and how it's used, who knows??? No chance of it being passed along to people working illegally in the US for identity theft. Nope, not at all.

Good Point John. I had not thought about that one.  Employees at Thai RD would be a serious risk.

Did you know that when that Malaysian flight 370 'disappeared' many years ago, that of the 272 passengers 19 of them had false passports.  That is also what is done with 'stolen' personal information - and the number one source is first world people visiting third world countries.  I always let the wife make rural hotel bookings in her name plus husband - and then wait outside while she checks in. Give Somchai at the 'Royal Cheapie Resort' in Issan my passport - none and buckleys.  OK at Marriott or Amari - but not the cheapies. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Many years ago tax certificates were required for people who had been ini country, presumably over 6 months. My pals passport was blocked in USA because his ex was disputing the alimony!

Some countries when a person returns home, the tax office want to see the tax residence certificate that taxes were paid on income for each year whilst one was living/working abroad. If the tax paid is lower than the home country during those years then additional tax has to be paid.

4 minutes ago, freeworld said:

So everyone can meet an accountant and get advice to prepare for the future.

My accountant has told me to take all the rubbish and throw it in the trash can......He said thats the best way to plan for my future......I have to agree, my accountant is a smart guy....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotandsticky said:

Any? I have got many.

What I don't understand is what you are getting at - or are you just trolling again.

I would be asking about specific qualifications, if it was indeed relevant at all. 

Which it isn't.

I would ignore the guy mate - judging by his past 'activity' I have added him/her/it to my blocked list. 

• Like 2

On 9/18/2023 at 12:32 PM, freeworld said:

Basically I think they are referring to a capital gain. If the taxes are paid and can be proven elsewhere then it can be avoided. If the money is not taxed in a foreign jurisdiction then Thailand tax laws would govern the taxation if that wealth was brought into Thailand if the person was tax resident.

It will not be a joyride to prove that the transfer from your savings account abroad was earned and taxed 10 years ago. sounds like an admin nightmare and once they have people on the hook it will be on them to prove the money was taxed before.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Yep 57 pages and it is totally voluntary - both to read and write.

Noen of the That taxation professionals know - and that is the problem.  But even then, as my accountants back home always advised over the years - it is worth knowing and doing what is needed BEFORE it becomes a problem, rather than waiting until it is a problem.  I will never forget the best example - "they are going to start taxing money in super funds over xyz amount and I suggest over the next month or two you move abc funds into your bla bla investment accounts". Sure enough, 3 months later the Govt announced new taxation rates for super funds - applicable immediately.  If you know of a taxation expert in Thailand that has all the answers and knows exactly what and how the Thai RD is going to do it, please pray tell us all.  Meanwhile I am interested in hearing what others think and any information, and I will likewise share what I think and information I find about what wil happen after Jan 1 2024 - voluntarily. 

AFAIC we know one thing: it will start on January 1, 2024. So until then money earned before December 2022 and transferred in 2023 isn't taxable. So plan ahead.

Also BOI interpretation is now that income earned abroad by LTR visa holders is not taxable  for the duration of the visa. i.e money earned before and after is.

We should read carefully the Thailand Revenue Code, and maybe discuss it with a tax agent, to assess the risks of doing or not doing certain things. (cash transfers, splitting income with your wife, etc..).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

This article from a while back shows that this was always coming: Newly released Royal Act for the Exchange of Info.... - KPMG Thailand   The Junta overlooked telling people, especially the applicants for the LTR and Elite Visas, and they did nothing about preparing for it.  The Junta allowed many of those target organisations and people to move money into and out of Thailand, using that 'tax free' arrangement - especially the Chinese based 'mafia' (some say 'overlords').  The Thai RD were not prepared, even though this has been coming for years, because the Junta was 'otherwise occupied' and never gave them the 'go ahead'.

This sudden move to comply with 'international obligations' with regards to the 'trafficking' of money by terrorist and illegal organisations will start on Jan 1 2024 because the Thai Govt are desperate for funds. After many years of inaction, this should have been announced for 2025 - giving the Thai RD time to prepare. But I  am sure that the new PM decided to implement the change immediately, once they got a good look at the books and realised how bad things really are.  A suspicious person might say that the months of delay in getting a new Govt in place had something to do with both avoiding a disaster (Pita tearing them all apart) and also so that those who needed to move 'things' here and there, had the necessary time to do so. 

Either way, whatever the reasons, this is happenning and the Thai RD is not prepared, and we Expats could be caught up in the net, and it would be wise IMO to stay across this issue. 

I note that the list of financial service provides having to report stuff in the KPMG link includes credit card operators which gives rise to the possibility of tax residents having to pay tax on the use of offshore credit cards in Thailand. It would probably be challenge to shift out tax residents from the thousands of daily tourist ransactions but the risk to putting significant amounts on a foreign credit card seems there. Interesting that trustees are on the list when there is no trust law in Thailand.  Perhaps that was on the international list and the Thai side just thought they would include it to have access to overseas trustees and to cover themselves for a future Thai trust law.

Reporting person(s)

1. Banks and financial institutions
  2. Securities companies
  3. Governmental financial institutions
  4. Authorized life insurance licensees
  5. Derivatives business operators
  6. Escrow agents
  7. Credit card operators
  8. Trustees
  9. Other persons with financial accounting information as prescribed by Minister of Finance
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

What the RD meant is that they themselves wanted to do it and felt that joining CRS would give them enough information about overseas accounts of Thais to make it easier for them to go after Thai overseas investors and Thais with overseas employment income to make the whole thing viable.

Yet they choose to tax only income which is remitted to Thailand and therefore infinitely more monitorable than the small amount of information which arrives each year via the CRS system on some accounts where the person is a Thai tax resident AND has notified the foreign bank of their TIN inside Thailand.

It might help them to make a shortlist of people to look into.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Yet they choose to tax only income which is remitted to Thailand and therefore infinitely more monitorable than the small amount of information which arrives each year via the CRS system on some accounts where the person is a Thai tax resident AND has notified the foreign bank of their TIN inside Thailand.

Yes, and my gut makes me think  that  once they've explored all ramifications of their initiative they could  come up  with a two percent tax on all remittance and cash foreign card cash withdrawals with some tourists queueing at Suvarnabhumi to get their refunds...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Yes, and my gut makes me think  that  once they've explored all ramifications of their initiative they could  come up  with a two percent tax on all remittance and cash foreign card cash withdrawals with some tourists queueing at Suvarnabhumi to get their refunds...

There is already about a 1% tax at ATMs with a 20,000 baht withdrawal.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

There's no chance that will happen, the entire business world relies on international payments via the swift network.

I'll bet the 'wire rooms' in the major banks are very busy each day processing incoming payments, mostly for corporate recipients