Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

23 minutes ago, Lorry said:

You are a tax resident if you stay more than 180 days in one calendar year. 

You need to stay outside of Thailand for the other 185 days. 

Thanks ....

oh  dear they close all our gaps ????

Only my approx 6 month's silverSnowbird solution remains  ????

Edited by david555
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2023 at 9:49 AM, webfact said:

Thailand’s revenue departments has released new guidelines which will see all income from abroad taxed as personal income tax regardless of whether it was earned income or savings.

This makes no sense.

Taxing all money you send to Thailand, even if it's not income/gains?

So, if you invested, for example, 10k abroad and you gained 1k profit.

Then, you send the whole lot to Thailand, they would tax you on the 11k? 

Is that what would happen? It would defeat the point in even investing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

This makes no sense.

Taxing all money you send to Thailand, even if it's not income/gains?

So, if you invested, for example, 10k abroad and you gained 1k profit.

Then, you send the whole lot to Thailand, they would tax you on the 11k? 

Is that what would happen? It would defeat the point in even investing.

Exactly.  Where did the 10k principle come from in the first place?  If you didn't remit it from Thailand, you must have earned it overseas somehow.  Therefore it is also taxable overseas income. That is the problem caused by distorting the interpretation of the existing law by saying that there are no longer any limitations on far back the  income can be to be taxable, rather than coming out with a new, tailor made law.

Edited by Dogmatix
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, transam said:

So what is a "tax resident"...? :stoner:

Personal Income Tax | The Revenue Department (English Site) (rd.go.th)

1.Taxable Person

Taxpayers are classified into “resident” and “non-resident”. “Resident” means any person residing in Thailand for a period or periods aggregating more than 180 days in any tax (calendar) year. A resident of Thailand is liable to pay tax on income from sources in Thailand as well as on the portion of income from foreign sources that is brought into Thailand. A non-resident is, however, subject to tax only on income from sources in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

They already have and it starts on January 1 2024.  From that date onwards Thailand will be exchanging financial information on all tax residents with all signatory countries. They will give them your details and financial information in Thailand, and your home country (and others) will give Thailand your details and financial information there. 

As stated by one taxation expert - the days of easy living long term in Thailand and not having to even think about taxation issues is coming to an end. He reckons it is likely that all annual renewals sometime from 2024 onwards, will require a TIN to be provided.  

Your bank in the us or Europe is not exchanging data on how much money you have withdrawn from your bank account and brought into Thailand. Only money brought into Thailand could be taxed by Thailand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Thanks mate.  Everyone should watch the first 20 minutes at least - this could be huge.

Remember - forwarned means you can be forarmed (prepared).

This is IMO one of those situations where you should prepare for the worst, middle and best outcomes.

I will be bringing in about 1 million baht each year, and that means I will pay 70,000 Baht in VAT.

That IMO is enough tax paid by me - I get none of the Govt services that Thais do for free.

The big issue is how will this affect me - paying another 10-20K PA would be acceptable - another 100K PA NOT. 

It starts Jan 1 2024 so therefore I can stay living in Thailand until end June 2024, before you are officially a tax resident. 

I will be watching this issue very closely and deciding before June 2024 what course I will take - leave or stay.

Maybe consider using credit card to withdraw cash 33x30.000 Baht and you "should" be under the radar. Additional layer of security, use someone elses credit card (family member that does not live in Thailand if possible). I know not allowed by cc companies...

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, JimTripper said:

They would probably just nix the O-A visa eventually, solving that problem. I already heard a couple rumors about it being a black sheep of the visa options.

the problem arises if you are still in the country and have not paid millions of baht of taxes. You will not get out then, that is what is was refering to. OA Visa does not get tea money as it is made available outside of Thailand so i guess you are right, not the favorite visa of the IOs.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, stat said:

Maybe consider using credit card to withdraw cash 33x30.000 Baht and you "should" be under the radar. Additional layer of security, use someone elses credit card (family member that does not live in Thailand if possible). I know not allowed by cc companies...

Thai ATMs are run by Thai banks.  And the data of Thai banks is accessible to the government if it so wishes.  So the "secret ATM withdrawal" route is unlikely to work if the government is determined enough.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K2938 said:

Thai ATMs are run by Thai banks.  And the data of Thai banks is accessible to the government if it so wishes.  So the "secret ATM withdrawal" route is unlikely to work if the government is determined enough.

They're going to be coming for the wealthy Thais way before they come after us lot.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Do you know someone who is retired at 50 and is drawing a pension?

I retired with an immediate pension at age 51, and could have done so the day I turned 50 if I had wanted to. So it does happen. (I didn't get my LTR until age 59, but that's only because the program didn't exist before that.)

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, ukrules said:

They're going to be coming for the wealthy Thais way before they come after us lot.

It indeed would appear that foreigners are the unintended collateral damage in all this.  And the key difference they seem to have overlooked is that foreigners start with having all their money abroad whereas for Thais it is largely the opposite. 

However, Thais with money abroad might also be keen to withdraw some of their foreign funds via ATMs in Thailand, so there is absolutely no guarantee that this could be a "safe" method unmonitored by the authorities

Edited by K2938

My understanding is they will simply delete the line "Foreign income is not taxed if remitted the next year" meaning any foreign income earned during the year will be taxed. And there will be tax credits according to the tax treaty.

Many people seem to extrapolate it would mean a tax on remittance.

I can't name any country taxing incoming transaction for income tax purpose. I know Thai do their own way but you can't logistically make an income tax with various brackets on all incoming transactions.

The simple common practise is to make an annual declaration with all income earned during the year.

Before, you had to include foreign income IF you were stupid enough to remit it the same year.

Now, you will have to include foreign income WHATEVER you do.

• Like 1

Wow, that guy "Doctor Tax" is in the right place at the right time. Cha Ching...

Bet he and his staff are on cloud nine about now. 

Steak and lobster every night now boys... hahaha

10-1 they won't leave anyone out now.. The 67K monthly will be a blanket tax. And your amount that has to be brought in will go up to cover the tax. 

Edited by Gknrd

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Doesn't matter, you will be required to have a tax ID number and file a tax return. Just because you are not Thai and not wealthy does not mean they will not want their pound of flesh if owed to them. No way around it now.

Personally I don't buy the idea it is the wealthy Thai's that caused this.

China is loosing it foothold on manufacturing and thousands of company are relocating. Thailand is one country that is reaping the rewards of this. Now this comes into effect just at the right time. Yeah right...

Edited by Gknrd
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Lorry said:

Somewhere in this thread someone said in Thailand it's 20 years. 

Hard to imagine this would really happen. 

Google: 'How long can a tax man go back in time to assess you' with name of aBangkok based newspaper.

2-5 years

10 years statute of limitations generally applies if you have not filed.

9 hours ago, david555 said:

A small visit to Phnomh Pehn or Sihanoukville before the 6 months "stay Thailand " kicks in could be a solution ....

Just a thought for some

A small visit which would need to be in excess of 169  days?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Many years ago i was summoned to my local tax office  in Thailand and asked about my income. I was told as I come from a country with a double tax agreement i was not liable to pay tax here. They issued me with a card and a number on it. I still have the card and they never contacted me again.

I presume when the new regulations come into force they cannot now claim I am liable to  pay back taxes?

11 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

You're giving them way too much credit. They can't even keep track of expats residing at the same address, whom are annually extended (some providing a map!), every 90-day reported, excessive copies of address, in need of countless certicates of residence for every little thing, home visits...and a smartcar????

So they can't possibly ever keep track of tens of thousands of ATM transactions by every foreigner...some residents, some not...and then track those transactions back to precisely the correct resident...whom they've already lost track of, despite their endless reporting requirements, countless copies and certificates. They're a joke. Inept and incapable. 

They will push the onus of proof onto us, and in a format specified by them.