Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

2 hours ago, newnative said:

If push comes to shove, as an American I will probably switch the direct deposit of my social security to my Thai bank, rather than my American bank, where it goes now.  It seems pretty clear that with the government tax agreement in place between the US and Thailand, social security should be safe from being taxed twice.  (I know, 'should' is the iffy word in that sentence.)

At a rate of 36 baht to the dollar, that would get me about 61,000 baht each month.  Maybe not quite enough for my partner and I to live on but fairly close and we would not have to take too much out of the Thai savings we already have here to make up the difference.  Some months it might be enough since I pay some of our bills with an American debit card.

In an earlier post on one of these threads, I mentioned that all my foreign income goes into my American bank account and I wondered how Thailand would know that this dollar I send to Thailand is from already taxed social security and not from capital gains or dividend income (which is also already  taxed but, apparently, fair game).  If the onus is on me to prove the money source, at least I can show a deposit coming in directly from the social security administration.

Yes, bringing Social Security direct to a separate Thai bank account seems like a safe idea.  The reason I don’t do it now—I get a better rate with Wise than a bank exchange rate, and I have no control on the rate when SS comes in near the beginning of the month.  Right now, I have the luxury of waiting for the best rate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

If foreigners are not buying houses,condos,cars and keeping their money out of Thailand, I can guarantee the Baht is going nowhere but down down down...

They would have to sell up and leave fairly quickly (and not coming back). Don't see that happen in very big volumes. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Yes, bringing Social Security direct to a separate Thai bank account seems like a safe idea.  The reason I don’t do it now—I get a better rate with Wise than a bank exchange rate, and I have no control on the rate when SS comes in near the beginning of the month.  Right now, I have the luxury of waiting for the best rate.

Yes, my reason, too, for having it currently deposited in my USA bank.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, redwood1 said:

If foreigners are not buying houses,condos,cars and keeping their money out of Thailand, I can guarantee the Baht is going nowhere but down down down...

Not likely. According to a recent BP article, there were (only) 156,596 expats in 2022. Exchange rates are mostly influenced by a strong/weak dollar, the crude oil price, or if Thailand's exports slump significantly.

Haven't checked that forum in one week. Seems things are the same. Have to wait for clarification for a correct understanding.

I didn't expect that but I almost feel nostalgic of previous military government. So far, that "more modern" government is promising more tax headaches for expats, more Indian/Chinese tourists, and closing of canabis shops. This doesn't seem really attractive.

I keep waiting for a potential 90 days visa exemption for more hassle free visits to compensate but so far, nothing on the table.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Yumthai said:

Easy workaround with savings earned prior getting LTR Visa:

If you want to transfer $100K to Thailand, just buy an S&P500 ETF for $100K, then sell your shares right away or any time you need it (with good timing you could even realize some capital gain).

You then have proof of the ETF sale and can transfer sale proceed tax free the same year in Thailand.

If you worry about volatility just select a less volatile ETF/Stock of your choice or any other asset.

No one knows how this tax will be calculated exactly but I suppose if you open a separate bank account it SHOULD work. But maybe they ask where did the 100K come from...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, RafPinto said:

I think soon, all those Youtubers living and working here and some of them making big money, they will soon stop to post more videos. Has anyone of them a work permit?

"It's also worth noting that YouTube takes a cut of the revenue generated by ads, which is around 45%. So, a YouTuber with 10,000 subscribers may earn an average of $1 to $2 per thousand views. Therefore, assuming a YouTuber gets around 1000 views per video and uploads two videos per week, they could earn approximately $8 to $16 per week, or $32 to $64 per month, solely from YouTube ads. However, this is just an estimate, and the actual earnings can be lower or higher, depending on the factors mentioned above.Reed More"

So really really big money to be made...????

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

IMO Americans will not be subjected to this new 'interpretation' - wait for confirmation, but it is very clear to me (and I know a bit about this area). American citizens are required to pay taxes irrespective of where they live in the World, and the US Tax Authorities mandate that all other countries coimpley with this - or else. Thailand will not be able to tax Americans on any monies transferred to Thailand under their DTA, and the US Tax Dept will be responding very strongly if they attempt to do so.  USA is the only country in the world (AFAIK) that does this and gets away with it worldwide.   

It is my understanding that US citizens that earn under 100K USD a year do not pay taxes to Uncle Sam, at least that is what a US guy told me.

• Haha 2

So all those of us from the US need to do is submit our IRS filings (which includes our social security numbers, financial status, home address, phone numbers, and bank accounts) to the Thai tax department and where it goes and how it's used, who knows??? No chance of it being passed along to people working illegally in the US for identity theft. Nope, not at all.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

They couldn't manage to collect a small departure tax; do you really think they could become tax collectors??

would be easy if they wish it to so ..... just an extra document demanded by I.O. when doing whatever connection to your Stay Thailand status .... TIN  number by example ...

Edited by david555
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, newnative said:

Yes, my reason, too, for having it currently deposited in my USA bank.

That gives me an idea:  how about a dedicated Social Security account at the Thai bank—but use Wise to fund it?  We could prove we send the same $$ amount each month, by referencing the rate that day on the Wise site.  It might be worth a try.  
This is a worst case example.  More likely this whole taxation BS will fall by the wayside.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

IMO Americans will not be subjected to this new 'interpretation' - wait for confirmation, but it is very clear to me (and I know a bit about this area). American citizens are required to pay taxes irrespective of where they live in the World, and the US Tax Authorities mandate that all other countries coimpley with this - or else.

At what rate do Americans pay tax on for the first $120k ?

It's zero isn't it......

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, K2938 said:

Probably nobody even thought about foreigners when drafting this (...)

The prime minister was quoted as saying that 'foreigners in Thailand are the target due to some "inequalities". (A post on this news forum quoted a related newspaper article a few days ago.)

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, ukrules said:

At what rate do Americans pay tax on for the first $120k ?

It's zero isn't it......

Your thinking of Foreign Income Exclusion while working in a foreign country for a certain amount of time.  That is working income only.  Not retirement nor investment income.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Robin said:

iIt seems to me that the crucial term here is "Tax Resident"  How is this defined?

Can someone confirm that the figure of 180days/year in Thailand is the correct qualification?  Is it days or nights in the country?

How they count the 180 days?

Quite simple, let's say you arrive in Thailand on the 5th of March 11:00 PM and leave on the 25th of March at 03:00 AM.

They will count 21 days and not 20.

Every day you stay in the Kingdom counts and they will tell it from the stamps in your passport.

It doesn't make a difference if you arrived in Thailand at 11:00 PM on the 5th of March, as long as the arrival stamp in your passport says 5th of March, you have been in Thailand since the 5th of March.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, stat said:

I am glad you realized that regardless of a royal degree etc everyone COULD be in danger of having to pay taxes on every penny they ever earned before the LTR visa and maybe even after.

Rhetorical questions