Thainess. What is it?

Kalasin Jo

Here's an easy explanation. Thainess is similar to Englishness ???? On a serious note, I was once asked by the head of English department in one of public high schools to translate a text and there was a word Thainess "Kwam Pen Thai" (ความเป็นไทย).  Instead of Thainess I translated it to Thai culture, traditions and values. I explained to my boss that Thainess was invented by someone Thai and could not be used in the same meaning with other nationalities. Though, I don't know what happened to may translation ???? 

Edited by nowhereman
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

unlike some countries that seem to think the US is the leader in culture.

Maybe once, but not in this century. To many, the US is a country to be pitied, with its political situation and frequent shootings. Many, if they cared, might feel the same about Thailand.

3 hours ago, Woof999 said:

Not sure I can answer the question without being labelled anti Thai by some (I choose to live in Thailand and I'm marries to a Thai, so I can't be that anti Thai, but anyway....).

I just wish that in England it would be possible to talk about Englishness, to put the needs of the English above all else, to discriminate against anyone not English. It's not though. In that regard, I think Thailand has it spot on.

That's called xenophobia as opposed to Thainess!!

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

delivery motorcycles everywhere

With no idea where to go, ask somebody, hell no, thainess, check mobile map, no, thainess.  Thainess is calling 12 times to deliver a single cold cheeseburger.

Yes yes, I tip the poor bastards and am never mean, they make nothing.

• Like 1