Is Phat Kaphrao worth a try?

KC1980

52 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

It's Pad Krapow. You can use chicken, beef, or pork, minced or in pieces. My girlfriend cooks it a variety of ways, as do I, and the restaurant right next to where she lives makes it, and it looks exactly like the picture.

Where's the chili? shouldn't there be little red pieces in it? slices of garlic?

Some folks omit the onion / shallot .. Im not a lover of adding onions, but don't you have it with sliced long bean? Perhaps its a regional thing, coming from the Deep South, it's not Krakow if it doesn't have long beans.

2 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Where's the chili? shouldn't there be little red pieces in it? slices of garlic?

Some folks omit the onion / shallot .. Im not a lover of adding onions, but don't you have it with sliced long bean? Perhaps its a regional thing, coming from the Deep South, it's not Krakow if it doesn't have long beans.

It's one of my favorite dishes, and I've had it many ways before i came here and while here. Long beans, onions, chili and no chili, basil and krapow seasonings.

• Confused 1

20 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I'm almost positive those aren't bai grapao leaves in the picture. Looks more like baby collards, possibly some other green.

Yeah... probably not grapao.  The leaves in the OP's picture could be holopah, but they do look a little too wide.

I married my Thai wife in USA and lived there with her for 21 years.  Bai grapao was very hard to find so my wife used regular sweet basil for this dish. It was a pretty reasonable substitute, in fact better than regular Thai basil. As is normal for her, she trimmed off most of the fat from the chicken and or pork she used.  She also cut back on the added sugar.  The basil and chilli's came from our back yard usually just minutes before cooking.

Pud grapao is still one of my favorites but I like it made with ½ pork and ½ chicken and with normal Thai level of heat.  Some times with 2cm pieces of long beans added.  

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...
17 minutes ago, miss_evelin said:

Of course! It's like getting a front-row seat to a flavour concert when you try Phat Kaphrao. It's more than simply a dish; it's an epicurean experience that will wow your taste buds. Take a bite and your palate may give you a standing ovation! 🌶

Fairly simple ingredients, easy to make at home. I just tone down the chilli

Edited by Seppius
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, miss_evelin said:

Of course! It's like getting a front-row seat to a flavour concert when you try Phat Kaphrao. It's more than simply a dish; it's an epicurean experience that will wow your taste buds. Take a bite and your palate may give you a standing ovation! 🌶

A while back now, I do remember making it from scratch using a recipe online, and it turned out fine, using pork and the usual ingredients, including some chili because I like chili infused food.

So a couple of weeks ago I was meandering around Big C and decided to buy one of the packets of pad kraphao mix and all the ingredients and have it for dinner that evening.

As I said I like spicy food but the spice level in this packet of ingredients, although I only used half of it, was overpowering (chili -wise) so I decided against buying any more like that and if I want it I'll make it from scratch.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1