Need a new visa to stay in thailand. Want to know if Phnom Penh or Ho Chi Minh is better embassy

I'm just finishing up a work visa on a contract. I need to get a new visa next month to stay here in Thailand. I wanted to get the Single Entry Tourist Visa and then extend it for 30 days later.

I would just like to get some others opinions as to what city has the better embassy, Phnom Penh (PP) or Ho Chi Minh (HCM)?

I do plan to make a trip out of it as I understand the process takes about 3 business days and I need a holiday anyway.

Both destinations are pretty comparable on price but I think HCM has some better accomodation and transport options.

I am also aware that I will need to apply for a visa on arrival in both countries (as an Australian I understand some USD will be exchanged)

I've heard that PP is quite strict and I am concerned about my history of visa before 2019. I have been on a work visa ever since.
I just wonder if HCM has a more friendly experience for getting a SETV.

However the proof of onward journey I do not understand too well. If I plan to pay 1900 THB for the 30 day extension - does that mean I need to book an open flexible ticket out of thailand (that can be changed once i get extension)?

I plan to fly over for a week at whatever destination. Have to do it next month.

2 hours ago, Douglas123 said:

I would just like to get some others opinions as to what city has the better embassy, Phnom Penh (PP) or Ho Chi Minh (HCM)?

I do plan to make a trip out of it as I understand the process takes about 3 business days and I need a holiday anyway.

Both destinations are pretty comparable on price but I think HCM has some better accomodation and transport options.

I am also aware that I will need to apply for a visa on arrival in both countries (as an Australian I understand some USD will be exchanged)

IMO Saigon is best option.

Very easy transport option to District 1 (tourist area) from airport.

Thai consulate is easy to get to from Bui Vien area.

Note that you would need appointment. Here is link

https://booking.setmore.com/scheduleappointment/f8af2588-daa5-4e23-9bea-6b35c5e06758/services/1fd945a8-1937-43af-99b3-51b251017d1a

Being Oz you require eVisa.

No visa on arrival.

The application is simple and $25 usd for 30 day tourist visa. 

Process time is 5 working days.

Edited by DrJack54

Here are the tourist visa requirements for  Ho Chi Minh

https://hochiminh.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/tourist-visa?page=5d80ab3315e39c2fe800a7a7&menu=5d80ab3315e39c2fe800a7a8

2.6. Evidence of adequate finance 

A bank statement in the past 6 months showing minimum fund of 20,000.- THB per person / 40,000.- THB per family  

Here is recent report

https://aseannow.com/topic/1300789-apply-for-tourist-visa-in-vietnam-hcmc-doubts/#comment-18310994

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Seems it is pretty clear that I need a round trip flight ticket (a land border bus booking will not suffice).

So I am trying to find an airline where i can book a flight ticket out to nearby SEA country and then just cancel/refund it as soon as I get the visa approved.

Can anyone recommend a carrier that can do this? I find the usual flight carriers policy on this very vague:

Viet Jet
Air Asia
Scoot
Lion Air
etc

PS - I have my current condo lease until November this year so that should be fine.

10 hours ago, Douglas123 said:

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Seems it is pretty clear that I need a round trip flight ticket (a land border bus booking will not suffice).

So I am trying to find an airline where i can book a flight ticket out to nearby SEA country and then just cancel/refund it as soon as I get the visa approved.

Can anyone recommend a carrier that can do this? I find the usual flight carriers policy on this very vague:

Viet Jet
Air Asia
Scoot
Lion Air
etc

PS - I have my current condo lease until November this year so that should be fine.

I believe fully refundable tickets (which always have some deductions that are not refundable) are expensive, and leave you for months without the cash before you get (most of) it back.

Either use one of the ticket rental companies, or use skyscanner.com to find a cheap throw away ticket (search for one-way flight out of Thailand to anywhere specifying Entire Month as the departure date).

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Douglas123 said:

I'm just finishing up a work visa on a contract. I need to get a new visa next month to stay here in Thailand. I wanted to get the Single Entry Tourist Visa and then extend it for 30 days later.

I've heard that PP is quite strict and I am concerned about my history of visa before 2019. I have been on a work visa ever since.
I just wonder if HCM has a more friendly experience for getting a SETV.

However the proof of onward journey I do not understand too well. If I plan to pay 1900 THB for the 30 day extension - does that mean I need to book an open flexible ticket out of thailand (that can be changed once i get extension)?

I plan to fly over for a week at whatever destination. Have to do it next month.

A fella with a similar situation as yours had asked on Thai Visa Advice yesterday and was provided helpful advice.

We wish you success.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thaivisaadvice/permalink/3772655923058249/?mibextid=Nif5oz

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Douglas123 said:

Viet Jet
Air Asia
Scoot
Lion Air
etc

https://onwardflights.com/

less than $10

Edited by zzzzz

Thanks zzz for the suggestion. I have also heard of dummyflights.com. I checked out their reviews and posts activity and seemed to have gone quiet since last year. Would just like to know if any of the users on here have had recent success with these companies?

Cheers

1 minute ago, Douglas123 said:

Would just like to know if any of the users on here have had recent success with these companies?

The one posted by zzz is the one most recommended on AseanNow and yes they work

Note they are mainly used for flying without visa to satisfy airline at departure  for flight to Thailand.

They only remain valid for couple of days so purchase very close to application for SETV.

With a visa the airline at departure will not ask for onward flight. 

4 hours ago, travelerjim said:

A fella with a similar situation as yours had asked on Thai Visa Advice yesterday and was provided helpful advice.

We wish you success.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/thaivisaadvice/permalink/3772655923058249/?mibextid=Nif5oz

ha ha that was actually me. Putting multiple fishing rods out on the river - so to speak.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 9/20/2023 at 3:59 PM, DrJack54 said:

IMO Saigon is best option.

Very easy transport option to District 1 (tourist area) from airport.

Thai consulate is easy to get to from Bui Vien area.

Note that you would need appointment. Here is link

https://booking.setmore.com/scheduleappointment/f8af2588-daa5-4e23-9bea-6b35c5e06758/services/1fd945a8-1937-43af-99b3-51b251017d1a

Being Oz you require eVisa.

No visa on arrival.

The application is simple and $25 usd for 30 day tourist visa. 

Process time is 5 working days.

The new application process for the Viet evisa on their new website is anything but simple. It looks like it was designed in a madhouse. It took me 9 hours of trying over and over again  until I finally got my visa. Hopefully the OP is from a visa exempt country. 

28 minutes ago, thecyclist said:

The new application process for the Viet evisa on their new website is anything but simple. It looks like it was designed in a madhouse. It took me 9 hours of trying over and over again  until I finally got my visa. Hopefully the OP is from a visa exempt country. 

My application for eVisa for single entry tourist visa for Vietnam took approx 10 minutes. 

The visa was processed in 5 business days and eVisa was sent out via email..

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

My application for eVisa for single entry tourist visa for Vietnam took approx 10 minutes. 

The visa was processed in 5 business days and eVisa was sent out via email..

Did you apply on the old or the new website?If on the new one, that took effect on Aug 15,and you managed to get through it in 10 minutes, you are a genius, your PhD is well deserved. The Facebook Vietnam group forums are chock-full with comments and enquiries of people despairing over the application process .A lot of them threw up their hands and gave up.I persevered ,and after trying over and over and over again, I finally succeeded. 10 minutes, for a first time applicant, no way in the mortal realm. There are, of course, other immortal dimensions. 

2 hours ago, thecyclist said:

Did you apply on the old or the new website?

I used this....

Vietnam evisa - National portal on Immigration https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

The only think that I'm aware of aware of is that August 15 the multi entry 90 day visa was added to list of options.

Prior to covid that was available.

When eVisa was introduced only SETV 30 days was available.

I had quick look at link posted just now and seems the same.

I best apply as I'm going to Saigon next month..

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I used this....

Vietnam evisa - National portal on Immigration https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/trang-chu-ttdt

The only think that I'm aware of aware of is that August 15 the multi entry 90 day visa was added to list of options.

That is the old one. And that one still works? When did you apply?

7 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I used this....

Well,it looks like Vietnamese immigration has gone back to the old website. Probably gotten too many complaints .I applied during the couple of weeks when you had to use the long and complicated new system  which was one big pain in the behind.

1 hour ago, thecyclist said:

That is the old one. And that one still works? When did you apply?

I went through few steps after reading your post that it was difficult.

Seemed to work OK ...

My last eVisa using that link was for a single entry 30 day tourist visa Feb of this year.

Applying for a multiple entry 90 day TV in couple of weeks, so hoping the process is as simple as it was previously.