Overstaying Indian man requests extension to spend budget before he’s deported

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

His Thai journey encompassed visits to Pattaya, Bangkok, and Narathiwat

The most interesting tidbit of the story is missing. Why Narathiwat? What was he doing there, of all places?

He overstayed by 4-5 months and still has money left over. That sounds a bit suspicious, too. Maybe he worked illegally, maybe he told family back home a sob story to send him more.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

Deport him. if he had extra money, he could have gone to an immigration office to ask for an extension.

We all love to give excuses, or reasons for events like this.

Thailand doesn't deport overstayers, they throw them into the Pits of Hell until they can come up with the overinflated cost of a ticket home.

You are sick in the head if you wish this upon anyone.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, MangoKorat said:
On 9/22/2023 at 2:26 PM, jippytum said:

Pity he didn't make it to the airport with his remaining cash. 20000 would have enabled him to return and evade being banned and jailed before departing. 

Not on a 5 month overstay I'm afraid.

I recall if one made it safely to the airport with a wedge sufficient for the maximum overstay fine, you were allowed to escape while being caught while travelling on overstay afforded no such benefit. When they rejigged the penalties and bans for overstaying, did that 'loophole' disappear?

On 9/22/2023 at 8:56 PM, Caldera said:

The most interesting tidbit of the story is missing. Why Narathiwat? What was he doing there, of all places?

He overstayed by 4-5 months and still has money left over. That sounds a bit suspicious, too. Maybe he worked illegally, maybe he told family back home a sob story to send him more.

Maybe he mistakenly thought he could do a cheap border hop and "extend" his Thai adventure?

As for still having money, we really don't know what his nest egg or budget was, but I am sure @Celsius can advise on the latter as he seems quite obsessed with the habits of the south Asian monger.

Edited by NanLaew

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

I recall if one made it safely to the airport with a wedge sufficient for the maximum overstay fine, you were allowed to escape while being caught while travelling on overstay afforded no such benefit. When they rejigged the penalties and bans for overstaying, did that 'loophole' disappear?

I can't remember the exact details but the penalties for overstay became much more draconian a few years ago. Pretty sure a 5 month overstay will result in a ban. I'm sure someone here will know what the new (er) penalties are.