Thai health minister backs cannabis ban, citing surge in teen usage

webfact

50 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

Elon smokes ...

Actually, Elon doesn't smoke weed.  He did once on a podcast in 2018 but for the following year passed random drug tests at Space X.

He's also on record as saying Weed is not good for productivity.

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Datsun 1200 said:

Do you really think "The Govt" is going to compensate the 6,000 licenses already issued? A LOT of  capital has been spent by all these Cannabis shops, and they won't/can't suddenly change direction on them.

The horse has bolted, making it illegal again will never happen. And the idea that just calling something a Narcotic will make it so, is insane. Cannabis has been used in Siam for 1,000s of years as a "medicinal herb" and that is what is always will be. A rose by any other name........

IH

Why should they close them down or even compensate them?

They can continue to sell what is legal and if they can't make money they can choose to close (already happening judging by the number shutting down in Chiang Rai).

The cheap cannabis has been nice but the rampant teenage usage is probably not beneficial to their mental growth.  The kids seem to be able to get good weed for 50-200 baht a gram which makes it almost free.  It is new and as time passes it does seem teenagers aren't seeking it out as much in my area but might be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bob smith said:

back to buying from tuk-tuk drivers and doing it behind closed doors in 2024 then... It will probably be a lot cheaper that way.

I just didn't like that process.  Felt dirty and with a good share of bad luck could end poorly for a tourist.  I chose to liquor it up and that was more detrimental to my health.  Maybe 1 bowl and 2 shots every evening so I can go with the flow and new regs won't matter as much.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, impulse said:

But I've never seen a stoner attack someone on the street,

I am sorry but I must disagree. Some 10 years or so ago I drove a taxi for a while in a medium sized city in the South West of England.

There was a spate of vicious attacks and robberies on taxi drivers on one of the council estates. The perpetrators, two brothers, would object to using the meter and go for the driver. The most egregious was probably when a (Polish) driver was badly beaten, and they threatened to cut off his ring finger if he didn't give them his wedding ring. 

The police told us that these attacks were caused by the perpetrators being high on home produced cannabis. They caught them after a couple of weeks, (I don't think they tried terribly hard). Several of us were badly beaten, I was lucky, I ended up with a damaged eye through being kicked in the face. It healed, although I still have to wear special lenses for my left eye. I lost a couple of weeks off work. Eventually we were awarded compensation. The proportion to be paid by the perpetrators was of course never paid.

I don't like the stuff, and I don't care for the apologists who claim that it is entirely harmless. It is a mind altering substance (and, yes, like alcohol) takes people in different ways.

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Additionally this is just one guy not really to be taken seriously the opposition to it is not really going anywhere. Health Minister Anutin has already promised that this would not happen. And I’m sure everyone in the tourism industry is reading and shaking their heads at how their names are being used. The tourist industry clearly wants the opposite of this and they have already spoken loud and clear. Now I’m going to my local head shop where you can smoke a test hit right there even outside. It ain’t going anywhere. You all have been spreading misinformation about this since they first started legalizing THC back in 2019. You’re a joke. 

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Funny how the out-going health minister thought this was all for the benefit of the general public, or was he just trying to garner popularity?

We should all know by now where the outgoing Health Minister's interests lay!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I just didn't like that process.  Felt dirty and with a good share of bad luck could end poorly for a tourist.  I chose to liquor it up and that was more detrimental to my health.  Maybe 1 bowl and 2 shots every evening so I can go with the flow and new regs won't matter as much.

I don't smoke the stuff, just hypothesizing about what's in store for your average chonger next year..

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, webfact said:

The draft law, which consolidates measures against public use that the government now relies on to rein in misbehavior, is expected to take a year to finalize and pass.

Don't rush, get it right! ????

15 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

My 'friend' says he is still buying brick for at 3k per 100g, as he has done for 10yrs. he recons he has tried the more expensive stuff, the only difference for him was the taste not the effect.

Sounds like he's getting the Paraquat insecteside free! Ah the old brick weed!

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, sambum said:

".....they can choose to close......"

Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with the legalisation of cannabis, these people are not choosing to close  - they are being forced to close. It's like having a TV shop and being told you can't sell TV's any more, so you "choose" to close?

They are "already" choosing to close, it's market dynamics, supply & demand, there is oversupply and not enough demand.  Normally, this would result in price compression, Thailand is the only country I know where if something doesn't sell, they don't drop the price, often they raise it.

The shops and growers knew they were taking a risk and exploiting a loophole, Anutin himself was pretty clear when he removed it from the narcotic list that recreational use remained illegal.  You have to be pretty stupid to invest in a loophole when the minister who creates it issues the warning at the same time.

Why would anyone compensate a stupid person?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1