Thai women preferences for Asian or Farang men?

RamenRaven

I've heard people say that many (though not all) Thai women prefer East Asian men (ethnic Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Filipino) over Farang/Caucasian/white men if they could have the choice.

Particularly the lighter-skinned or more dollish-looking Thai women, maybe from the North Lanna area or Bangkok, rather than darker Isan women.

How true is this?

If true, why would they prefer East Asian over Caucasian men?

To me, old, wrinkly balding Asian and Farang men are all just old, wrinkly balding men.

Young Asian and Farang men both look pretty good. Cute boy bands are just cute boy bands.

The language gap is the same whether the guy is Asian or Farang.

Other Asians also don't get the weird nuances of Thai culture and social interactions.

No racism towards Asians, Thais, or Farangs alike meant here. Definitely don't mean to hurt any feelings.

Just curious why random people, both Farangs and Thais, would keep telling me this from time to time.

Edited by RamenRaven
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Koreans are 555 or something like that? 5 minutes, 5 inches, 5000... That's what the Insanity girls used to say when the club was still around. One night as I was walking on soi 11 heard a girl loudly announcing "you give me 5000!" to the Korean taking her home.

They should give Yao Ming a try.

10 inches, 100,000, maybe 100 minutes?

Some Asian men can be really tall and strong. But I guess they all get snatched up pretty quickly back home.

And the ones that grow up in Farang countries are often Farang sized.

8 minutes ago, Phillip9 said:

That's quite a diverse group.  Do you realize that men from these countries have nothing at all in common with each other?

That's my point.

They have nothing in common with each other, and with Thais.

But some Thai women still prefer them over guys from other continents?

• Like 1

Mileage varies and there is a whole spectrum of preferences and reasons for those preferences...  This is definitely one of those subjects where we can shoe horn generalisations into a convenient pigeon-hole.... 

I know women from financially independent backgrounds who could be with wealthy Thai guys of their own age... they are with their foreign husband.

Educated, financially independent Thai women are happy to meet someone of similar socio-economic status... of course, there are loads of Thai men to compete with - if a Westerner has game this is no issue - I know of many such relationships.

When language & communication is difficult and cultural boundaries are less flexible I'd imagine a Thai female would prefer a Thai male, financial insecurity will then influence her decision to step outside of a comfort zone and perhaps ultimately find herself in a comfortable situation (or not).

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, RamenRaven said:

Just curious why random people, both Farangs and Thais, would keep telling me this from time to time.

Because they're repeating a stereotype and generalisation.

The reality is different... Females from Wealthy Thai backgrounds like anywhere have plenty of choice, and do date and marry men from from all cultures and races - That said, doing so may be less common for a couple of obvious reasons.

- There are more Thai guys for Thai women to meet in Thailand .

- There is family pressure to marry within their own culture.

- Cultural understanding is easier.

What distorts a lot of opinion is those basing their observations on financial disparity where a female is making a choice out of necessity rather than actual preference.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1
  • Love It 1

Demographics of guys shopping around for girlfriends from Western countries vs other countries tend to be different: Western guys tend to be older, maybe have more income while Asian, South Asian, other ASEAN countries, Middle East, Africa seem to be younger, still working age.

Key factor in the girl's decision may be where they're likely to end up after marriage. If in Thailand, Thai woman may feel someone from Asian background would blend in better back in village or in town while a Caucasian hubby might carry more of a stigma as ex-bar girl, no matter what story was concocted to dispel this notion.

If it's a 'Take Me Out of Thailand' situation, final destination might weigh heavily in the decision making process, depending on the sophistication and worldliness of the girl. If the girl's goal is to get out of Thailand, then a move to Seattle or London with an older white guy is going to be more attractive than a younger wealthier Indian, ASEAN or Arab boyfriend who is proposing a relocation to say, New Delhi, Phnom Penn or perhaps Cairo.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, ezzra said:

With 237 posts telling that this topic and similar have been discussed several times with few possibilities of the why and how come, bottom line, no clear answer yet...

Where are those topics?

I searched several times and couldn't find any.