Calls for clarification of new Tax regime which appears to target expat foreign income sources

webfact

22 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

May be you are referring to Capital gains and dividends from SET listed companies.

I don't know much about Thai tax rates at this point, I hope you are right.

Nothing to do with the SET. Money from abroad is what is being targeted. If the money from abroad is from CG or dividends then it should be declared as coming from those sources and taxed accordingly. If the money is from an inheritance are Thailand going to ignore their own tax rules for inheritance money and tax it as income?

8 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

The rich so & so has only been in office 5 minutes and already hate him with a passion. Bring back Phrayut! ????

I agee plus Phrayut did not make us endure a silly ear to ear grin with each and every photo-op...

Edited by redwood1
  • Like 2

On 9/26/2023 at 6:40 AM, findlay13 said:

Calls for clarification of new Tax regime [Good luck with that]

In addition, this New Order will bring about a significant change in the taxation principle of offshore-sourced income under section 41 of the Revenue Code, and this change may adversely affect individual taxpayers who have honestly relied on the current interpretation and practices of the Revenue Department. Therefore, it is questionable whether this change should 
be accomplished through the amendment of section 41 of the Revenue Code, which needs to go through the legislation process, rather than through the issuance of this New Order.

Clarification means it wont come in 2024.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pluto_manibo said:

all the Thai people who work abroad, invest abroad and want to remit funds, trying to survive in this difficult economic climate are the main targets.

This is an excellent point. Not sure of numbers but I assume there are many Thais working in areas such as the UAE, international shipping and offshore mining that will be taxed for the first time.

Malaysia has foreshadowed a similar tax regime which would impact significantly on the many Malaysians working in Singapore.

One difficulty I foresee is compliance. In Malaysia at least very few people are required to pay income tax (wages too low) so there is an absence of habit of paying taxes.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

Nothing to do with the SET. Money from abroad is what is being targeted. If the money from abroad is from CG or dividends then it should be declared as coming from those sources and taxed accordingly. If the money is from an inheritance are Thailand going to ignore their own tax rules for inheritance money and tax it as income?

https://www.taxesforexpats.com/country-guides/thailand/us-tax-preparation-in-thailand.html

Screenshot 2023-09-26 073244.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spilornis said:

Malaysia has foreshadowed a similar tax regime which would impact significantly on the many Malaysians working in Singapore.

Malaysia has postponed the implementation of tax on residents on their foreign incomes for 5 years, a possible option Thai may adopt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BE88 said:

Definitely leaving Thailand is my option as a classified Thai rich taxpayer, all my remittances will no longer enter Thailand from next month and consequently my bank accounts in Thailand will go to zero.

or you transfer 10M Baht in 2023 to avoid tax for the next 10y?

????Ony for the rich (non tax payers) of course

1 hour ago, Thailand J said:

For US retirees, the tax treaty exempts SS and pension incomes but it does not  help with capital gain (CG) and dividend incomes.

Based on my limited knowledge I made a table below, I am sure it's full of mistakes and it is over simplified, but the idea is that if you have CG and dividends from US and if Thai gov decided to tax them, you can only deduct taxes paid in US.

I am going to get insurance and apply for 10 yr LTR if I have to pay income tax  here. I have met other requirements.

Screenshot 2023-09-26 060049.png

That's one part of it. The other part of it is how do you prove tax gain amount when it's not a single purchase and selling... example:

You buy 100 of stock x at say 100$ on day 1 year 1, paying 10,000$

You buy 100 of stock x at say 150$ on day 1 year 2, paying 15,000$

You buy 200 of stock x at say 200$ on day 1 year 3, paying 40,000$

So basically right now you have 400 stocks with median price of 162.5$.

But now, the stock price is 150$ and you sell it. Technically, you're losing 12.5$ per one, but say you only sell 100 of them. You get 15,000$ for them. Against which in the list is capital gain calculated? Average price? Purchase price of which one? It would be 5k capital gain against first lot, 0 gain on second lot, and significant loss on the third lot.

I haven't got this clarified anywhere. In fact one of the posters here was claiming that I would get taxed on the whole amount... So in this case, if I sold 100 stocks at 15k$, I'd get taxed (let's assume it comes into 30% bracket), 5k$ in tax in Thailand, which would wipe out entire gain on first lot. That can't be right.

Is there anyone here who knows how capital gain is established in such cases, willing to share?

1 hour ago, Dogmatix said:

Under most tax treaties TH has a right to tax pensions other than government service pensions and US social security, Even the UK state pension is not protected. TH can demand the tax and tell you you claim a refund of tax paid to your home country. The UK’s HMRC has s very complicated form for this. 

In the Thai-Norwegian tax agreement Thailand can tax any pensions transfered to Thailand the same year. It does not differ on different kind of pensions. The same amount will be deducted from Norwegian taxable pension.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Nabbiex said:

Out of curiosity,

if we, expats, may be taxed, then will we be entitled to receive any Thai benefits such as Thai state pension, Thai personal tax income, family benefits, disability allowance, and so forth?

Nope, T.I.T.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

As a foreign resident, I don't have to lodge a tax return in my old country, so good luck getting anything out of me ????

If ever queried, well, it's savings, see, look at my banks account, not bank accounts ????

assuming you receive some type of government benefits from it, in which country do you not have to file a NR tax return?

20 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Is there anyone here who knows how capital gain is established in such cases, willing to share?

You have capital gain only if you sell any of those stocks. Make a table of what you sold and report the bottom line. Do not list any stocks you have not sell.

Add all the costs, add all the proceed, the difference is your gain or loss.

Example:1862493590_Screenshot2023-09-26080603.png.3744f46672b1edb5dd628e3cdfb1e744.png

Edited by Thailand J

1 hour ago, Nabbiex said:

Out of curiosity,

if we, expats, may be taxed, then will we be entitled to receive any Thai benefits such as Thai state pension, Thai personal tax income, family benefits, disability allowance, and so forth?

They might give you a bar of soap......And the soap will not be on a rope......lol

5 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Surely the logic of this nuts idea would be that ALL foreign ATM charges are now going to have to include thai income tax at X%, since it is basically the transfer of money from abroad and would need taxing at the same rate as bank transfers - TAT will shoot this down before any opposition does

Just pay with a credit card from a Thai bank account abroad. You even can get money from ATM in T. linked to a Thai account abroad:). 

Or just let the money fly in.

or, or, or.

I wont tell you all online????

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1