Why are UK expats still doing the 800K deposit for retirement extensions ?

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

The other option is to use monthly transfers .

After all one does require money to live off. 

Another bonus of using agent or income method is that 800k not locked in a bank and difficult for Thai partner to access

and that is exactly what i do and i have no problems getting my extension. Having spent most of my working life in financial services i'm always looking for the best returns on my money and depositing 800K in a Thai bank to obtain my extensions is just a no brainer for me what with the deposit interest rate currently available in the UK.

But of course if you're a millionaire i quite understand BM's could'nt GAF attitude lol  

Edited by Pumpuynarak

2 minutes ago, Pumpuynarak said:

and that is exactly what i do and i have no problems getting my extension.

Bit off topic but my guess is that many folk here (myself included) have not included in their thinking ......what happens to the 800k if hit by a bus.

Access to those funds for Thai partner (if not married) would be difficult/impossible.

Or repatriated to family home country

Very little consequences if using income method. 

At most few baht would be tied up.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You didn't include Window 3.

Transfer 65k+ per month from home country. 

Personally I use 800k+ all year round in bank and of course I require 100k+ per month to live on.

My option is stupid.

I should be using income method.

Will switch at some point. 

BINGO ????

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Bit off topic but my guess is that many folk here (myself included) have not included in their thinking ......what happens to the 800k if hit by a bus.

Access to those funds for Thai partner (if not married) would be difficult/impossible.

Or repatriated to family home country

Very little consequences if using income method. 

At most few baht would be tied up.

BINGO ????

54 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

You didn't include Window 3.

Transfer 65k+ per month from home country. 

Personally I use 800k+ all year round in bank and of course I require 100k+ per month to live on.

My option is stupid.

I should be using income method.

Will switch at some point. 

I'm in the same situation and plan on finally doing something this year.  My plan is to run down the 1,000,000 I have now down to 400k and then start depositing 65k a month.  Theoretically this should work and will run by immigration.  If I run into difficulties, I'll move into one my GF condos in Pattaya and go the agent route.  Currently in Ubon area and immigration seems to be very helpful so don't anticipate problems.

My main issue is that running down the 1,000,000 to 400,000 might take 10 months because I now spend so little living Ubon.  GF has her own money and home so I live very well off 50,000 a month here where my enjoyment revolves around activities the don't involve much money.  Wonder if immigration might frown on switching to income at the tail end of a visa.  

So many get out jail options when it come to Thai retirement visas.

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Is it worth the hassle and uncertainty of maintaining the monthly transfers? How much income tax would you pay HMRC for the interest earned in year on 800k baht Pounds sterling equivalent?

There is no income tax on interest earned from banks. Certainly not on 800K Baht which is only about 24K GBP luck to get about 600GBP interest per year! 

• Confused 4

2 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Is it worth the hassle and uncertainty of maintaining the monthly transfers? How much income tax would you pay HMRC for the interest earned in year on 800k baht Pounds sterling equivalent?

That would depend on what other income you have in UK. The tax threshold is  £12570, so anything over that, up to £50270 is at 20%.

As for the 'hassle' of monthly transfers......use Wise where there is the facility to set up a regular monthly transfer, or 'repeat the transfer' on a previous one.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, jerrymahoney said:

Correct. What I write and what's in my head sometimes do not correlate.

BTW the 'grandfather' provision is at Item 6.

image.png.ab1fa98026661dc62cdd743786b1ee89.png

This will only apply to retirees , over 50, back in 1998, who will be about 76 now.

But thanks for the information.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

The other option is to use monthly transfers .

After all one does require money to live off. 

Another bonus of using agent or income method is that 800k not locked in a bank and difficult for Thai partner to access

Another option, which my IO allows, is the Combination Method. I have Bht410,000 in Bangkok Bank and transfer, via Wise, Bht 40,000 per month to live on (or is it OFF ?)

Total must be over Bht 800k. I haven't asked if the bank deposit can go down by 50% for the middle 7 months of the year.

Edited by KannikaP
  • Like 1