Dr. Thira Analyzes the COVID-19 Situation in Thailand

webfact

22 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

No more masking for me. Ever again. My immune system is strong, I had Omi and it was like a minor flu, and this is endemic by now. Zero worries. 

Yeah.  Wife got Covid and me shortly after.  High viral load in the house - where can a guy go?  Sort like chicken pox as a kid when your sister comes down with it - you're gonna get it.

Wife wanted to go to the hospital where she was loaded up with med and sent home. 

I came down with it two days later.  Positive antigen test.  I stayed home - didn't see any reason to go to the hospital as I wasn't any more sick then with a typical 'flu.'  It was over in 60 hours - two and a half days.  In the past, I've had much worse bouts of influenza.  

So much fear and loathing over a nothing-burger.  As you age and your immune system decreases, yeah, you may die of IAB or IAC influenza or SARS_Cov_nnn "flus" if secondary infections, like bacterial pneumonia, set in.  For the vast number of humans on this planet with healthy immune systems, it ain't a big deal after so much fear-mongering.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, connda said:

Yeah.  Wife got Covid and me shortly after.  High viral load in the house - where can a guy go?  Sort like chicken pox as a kid when your sister comes down with it - you're gonna get it.

Wife wanted to go to the hospital where she was loaded up with med and sent home. 

I came down with it two days later.  Positive antigen test.  I stayed home - didn't see any reason to go to the hospital as I wasn't any more sick then with a typical 'flu.'  It was over in 60 hours - two and a half days.  In the past, I've had much worse bouts of influenza.  

So much fear and loathing over a nothing-burger.  As you age and your immune system decreases, yeah, you may die of IAB or IAC influenza or SARS_Cov_nnn "flus" if secondary infections, like bacterial pneumonia, set in.  For the vast number of humans on this planet with healthy immune systems, it ain't a big deal after so much fear-mongering.

Couldn't agree more. With Delta, it was dangerous. Now? If you are already on the edge, maybe. For those of us who are strong, healthy and eat well, it is truly not a concern. The flu or getting a boil or ingrown toenail worries me more. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

With the current Omicron strains, those who are elderly and/or those with various pre-existing medical conditions (like heart disease, diabetes, obesity, high blood pressure, etc.) are at the highest risk for bad COVID outcomes.

Others than above are not exempt from risk of bad COVID outcomes, but their odds as things stand now are much better.

Prior vaccinations and prior COVID infections are believed to be among the factors that are blunting the current severity of the disease.

COVID-19 less severe due to Omicron variants, vaccinations and previous infections

07-03-2023

"The consequences of infections involving the coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 are decreasing. This is because nearly everyone in the Netherlands has built up immunity to COVID-19 as a result of vaccination and/or previous infection, and because the current Omicron variants are less likely to cause serious illness."

"Compared to the Alpha and Delta variants, the Omicron variants are less likely to cause serious illness."

https://www.rivm.nl/en/news/covid-19-less-severe-due-to-omicron-variants-vaccinations-and-previous-infections-0

• Thanks 1

Perspective from the U.S.:

It seems like everyone has COVID. Why this wave may be worse than official data suggests

Experts agree that there are probably more infections than the current surveillance systems can capture.

September 5, 2023

"But despite the clear signs of a summer surge, the US has been living in a "fantasy world" where people pretend COVID-19 is "not relevant," Dr. Deborah Birx, the White House Coronavirus Response Task Force coordinator during the Trump administration, told ABC's "Start Here" podcast.

"We wanted to make it like flu because that was easier, but it's never going to be like flu," Birx said, explaining that COVID-19 comes in more frequent waves, makes people sicker, kills more people and can have longer-term complications such as long COVID."

https://abc7chicago.com/covid-cases-2023-cdc-immunity-testing/13738857/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Seriously, an update on Covid-19 in September 2023?

The pandemic is over, it's endemic now. There really isn't anything more to say.

Except for, among other things, the more than 33,000 Thais who have been hospitalized because of COVID thus far this year, and the 800+ who have died because of it, all during 2023.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just now, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Except for, among other things, the more than 33,000 Thais who have been hospitalized because of COVID thus far this year, and the 800+ who have died because of it, all during 2023.

I didn't say it's gone, I said it's endemic. Of course people still get hospitalized and die from it, same as from many other diseases.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

No more masking for me. Ever again. My immune system is strong, I had Omi and it was like a minor flu, and this is endemic by now. Zero worries. 

"Your immune system is strong", so you're special, safe from all the zillion nasty's out there...............????

But, your immune system can't be that strong, because I haven't had any variety of Covid........????

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

He said on Monday that the number of patients with respiratory diseases, specifically influenza, has risen significantly after the ministry scrapped mandatory mask-wearing in October last year. From Jan.

From Jan 1-Sept 16, there were 185,216 cases, or 279.9 cases per 100,000 population, and four deaths.

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2652778/flu-spike-prompts-warning. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Bangkok Post PCL. All rights reserved.

Another stat. Is this Covid any worse than other respiratory diseases right now? Seems not!

Please credit and share this article with others using this link:https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2652778/flu-spike-prompts-warning. View our policies at http://goo.gl/9HgTd and http://goo.gl/ou6Ip. © Bangkok Post PCL. All rights reserved.

27 minutes ago, Sametboy2019 said:

From Jan 1-Sept 16, there were 185,216 cases, or 279.9 cases per 100,000 population, and four deaths.

Your cite above seems to involve influenza cases and deaths (four) in Thailand during 2023 up to mid-September.

During that same period, the Thai MoPH reported 802 COVID deaths thru Sept. 16, and stopped counting actual COVID cases (infections) as of last fall, now counting only new COVID hospitalizations.

Is this Covid any worse than other respiratory diseases right now? Seems not!

Considering your cited four influenza deaths vs. 800+ COVID deaths during the same period of 2023, seems SO!

Screenshot_2.jpg.a416316d6b3d9ccfe4bc908d2a073479.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

He said on Monday that the number of patients with respiratory diseases, specifically influenza, has risen significantly after the ministry scrapped mandatory mask-wearing in October last year.

It also sounds like a pretty compelling argument for the public to continue wearing face masks both as a protection against COVID and other respiratory illnesses. He's certainly convinced me!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thumbs Up 2

Just because you only got mild symptoms from having Covid.  Doesn’t mean other people can’t get seriously ill from it.  And if you get it again.  It doesn’t mean you won’t have serious complications. Precautions still have to be taken.  Especially since Thailand doesn’t have a current vaccine 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

No one ever said you had to be smart or sensible to be a Thai politician.

No one ever said you had to be smart or sensible to be still wearing a mask. Most of the world isn't wearing masks.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But the smart and sensible folks are.... ????

"Precautions like masking and staying up-to-date on vaccinations are especially important as this rise in COVID-19 carries into the broader respiratory virus season, experts say.

"With every respiratory disease season -- whether it's COVID, whether it's influenza, whether it's RSV -- those increases can impact different individuals in different ways, and there are always severe outcomes associated with respiratory disease season," Hamilton said.

"Now is the time for us to be practicing good respiratory etiquette. Now is the time for us to remind ourselves to think about our own individual health status and those individuals that we may be around."

https://abc7chicago.com/covid-cases-2023-cdc-immunity-testing/13738857/

Experts said vaccines will stop transmission. Experts said vaccines are safe. Wrong on both occassions.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, swm59nj said:

Just because you only got mild symptoms from having Covid.  Doesn’t mean other people can’t get seriously ill from it.  And if you get it again.  It doesn’t mean you won’t have serious complications. Precautions still have to be taken.  Especially since Thailand doesn’t have a current vaccine 

Current vaccine for what? Which variant? This virus is amazing and changes all the time. As it is now  (Omicron) for the majority of people it's quite mild. Do you need a jab? If you are in the risk catagory consult a doctor.