Bangkok Submerged with Record Rainfall in Phra Khanong District

webfact

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The continuous rainfall serves as a reminder of the importance of urban planning and infrastructure improvements to mitigate future flooding incidents in the city.

That ship sailed a long time ago.

Think they'd learn from that lesson, and, apparently not.  Build build build, keep attracting more tourist.

Yet to understand why TH gets so many.  Rainy season way to iffy for a holiday, dry season too smoggy.  Is the rest of the world that screwed up or that much more expensive?

7 hours ago, KhunLA said:

EV Hell ... ????

I wouldn't drive a ICEV through that, unless you know your wheel bearings are sealed.  Made that mistake before and had to replace them all.

Agreed....  Well, I wouldn't take an MG through it anyway !!! :giggle:

Seriously, though... Don't all modern vehicles have sealed bearings ?

The rain gets so heavy here at times, driving through heavy rain even when the roads are not flooded could be problematic otherwise. 

Flooding such as this, which is not completely uncommon is just one of the reasons I have an SUV.... 

I've been in too many situations over years in a regular sedan where I can feel and hear the flood water lapping at the underside of the car... Its not a comfortable feeling and happens less in something slightly higher (even a few cm can make the difference). 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KhunLA said:

EV Hell ... ????

I wouldn't drive a ICEV through that, unless you know your wheel bearings are sealed.  Made that mistake before and had to replace them all.

Don't other vehicles, ie electric, have wheel bearings at all?

16 hours ago, KhunLA said:

That ship sailed a long time ago.

Think they'd learn from that lesson, and, apparently not.  Build build build, keep attracting more tourist.

Yet to understand why TH gets so many.  Rainy season way to iffy for a holiday, dry season too smoggy.  Is the rest of the world that screwed up or that much more expensive?

I'd say more expensive. 

My son and family of 7 are in Italy for a few months holiday then come here to see us.

He was talking about Euro 200 for massages and Euro 100 for deck chairs on the pebbly sand.

He said they are doing a lot of cooking in the B&B as everything too expensive.

I just had a massage at our house by our local village massager boy/girl. B200 for 2 hours.:)

• Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yup... when we have this amount of rainfall in such a short period of time, flooding is inevitable in any city....

Can't be repeated often enough.

142 mm in a DAY!!

What do you expect but disruption?

Average YEARLY rainfall in eastern Germany about 500 mm.

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 9/27/2023 at 5:48 AM, webfact said:

Local authorities, along with the BMA, are working to alleviate the situation by deploying teams to pump out excess water and clear blocked drains.

Shouldn't they be a bit more proactive. Beeing prepared not acting when it's too late.

Where are they pumping out this excess waters? 555

Thai logic

The options are simple.  Spend $Trillions to make the city floodproof, spend $Trillions to move it all upstream, or spend a few $Million to clean up after each flood.

I'm sure they could do a better job of keeping the drains open, but 5+ inches of rain in one day in a city no more than a few feet above sea level is always going to cause problems, no matter how much money they throw at it.

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed....  Well, I wouldn't take an MG through it anyway !!! :giggle:

Seriously, though... Don't all modern vehicles have sealed bearings ?

The rain gets so heavy here at times, driving through heavy rain even when the roads are not flooded could be problematic otherwise. 

Flooding such as this, which is not completely uncommon is just one of the reasons I have an SUV.... 

I've been in too many situations over years in a regular sedan where I can feel and hear the flood water lapping at the underside of the car... Its not a comfortable feeling and happens less in something slightly higher (even a few cm can make the difference). 

My Ranger enjoys driving through the floods.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

You may enjoy it, but your Ranger will suffer in silence until one of the bearings rots out, the brakes corrode away, or its electrical system starts throwing error messages.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

You may enjoy it, but your Ranger will suffer in silence until one of the bearings rots out, the brakes corrode away, or its electrical system starts throwing error messages.

Until now, never a single problem in 4 years.

The only thing I changed was the battery. A very reliable car.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Until now, never a single problem in 4 years.

The only thing I changed was the battery. A very reliable car.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

I drove my 2001 Ford Ranger drove through the floods in Bangkok in 2002. I am still driving it in 2023.

None of the wheel bearings have been replaced, the brakes have never corroded and it does not have the latest electronics.

What it does have is over 491,xxx kms on the clock. It rattles away every day, it starts first time and the only times it let me down is when the battery died, because I didn't replace it after every 4 or 5 years.

Out here in rural Kamphaeng there are still quite a few Ford Rangers older than mine that are still rattling along.

@Impulse  Have you ever owned a Ford Ranger?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, billd766 said:

@Impulse  Have you ever owned a Ford Ranger?

Had one that clocked 350,000 miles before the odometer cable broke (probably rusted from driving it in high water).  Then continued to drive it for a few more years, probably over 600,000 km.

That was a US Ford Ranger, not one of the Thai models.  Great little trucks, all of them.  But if you're claiming that driving through floods isn't deleterious to auto longevity, you're wrong.

Edit:  And I don't talk about reliability until it's 10 years old and has at least 150,000km on the clock.  Until then, it's still a new car.

Edited by impulse

4 hours ago, RafPinto said:

Careful...   These vehicles doing their own thing cause problems...

Every day we read reports about these trucks, cars and bikes going too fast in the rain, driving into poles etc...  with no comment about the human inside !!!  :whistling: