just a reminder, they will ******* kill you

NorthernRyland

1 hour ago, NorthernRyland said:

I love riding in Thailand and ironically it's the best part of the country for me but eventually if you're on the road long enough they will ******* kill you.

it's not just thailand.

riding a motorcyle is dangerous anywhere in the world. 

https://www.forbes.com/advisor/legal/motorcycle-accident-statistics/

Motorcycle riders account for 14% of all traffic facilities, despite the fact only 3% of all registered vehicles are motorcycles.

Do not ride a motorcycle in the world’s deadliest road accident country - Thailand, it’s far too dangerous.

Little or no traffic rule enforcement ensures a huge % of distracted, drunk, drugged, speeding, careless, unlicensed drivers of bigger, often unsafe vehicles are all waiting to kill you.
No amount of riding experience will save you because you cannot control what idiot is going to slam into the back of you when they are playing on their phone, which they ALL do. 

So if you’re a cheap Charlie and can’t afford a car, good luck - you will need it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

notice how they pass you going around blind curves? So many of these people are absolutely willing to put it all on the line and kill themselves, their family, you, your family etc... if it means they save some time on the drive. They don't have control over their emotions and they're too simple to know any better. Sad truth of the matter it is.

Why they are top 2 for road deaths. Saw 2 near misses on 1 bus trip. Was nearly run into by a car in Loei coming the other way. 

7 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

Folks passing on blind curves and hills are one thing but what about the idiots in town that like to do a right hand turn at a light in town before oncoming traffic goes through.....

Don't these folks know the rules of the road?

or what about those who put their left indicator / blinker on and turn right .....

they drive at high speed on the highways and major roads,  while drunk,  in the rain,  zero thought for safety.

Edited by steven100
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I'm a road cyclists and motorcyclist in Chiang Mai with over 15 years experience riding the roads here so I've seen just about everything. It's nigh impossible to have a single day where you don't see or experience something shocking and appalling in regards to how the locals drive.

I am also a long time road cyclist & also rode Motorcycles in Thailand

One thing I can say is I no longer like to road cycle in Chiang Mai as it is pretty much as you said.

But we have a house in the country & it is completely the opposite. There the farmers & trucks etc that pass us are nice to a degree that I worry for the oncoming cars if any because they give us such a wide berth ????

We only spend 3 months or so in Thailand these days & no longer plan on cycling in Chiang Mai which is kinda sad for us as we use to live there & have riding friends there. But even last year doing Suthep & Samoeng was just a bit much & as they say for us  the juice is just not worth the squeeze anymore ????

Edited by mania
  • Love It 1

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And cars must yield to trucks, motorbikes must yield to cars, and bicyclists are beyond invisible. 

that's the real rule of the road here. I'm bigger and I got here first. If your traffic law is "rule of the jungle" you're not yet a civilized people.

36 minutes ago, mania said:

We only spend 3 months or so in Thailand these days & no longer plan on cycling in Chiang Mai which is kinda sad for us as we use to live there & have riding friends there. But even last year doing Suthep & Samoeng was just a bit much & as they say for us  the juice is just not worth the squeeze anymore ????

and it gets worse every year. I'm in Mae Jo and the roads continue to get more crowded every year. No parking, dangerous, stressful etc... not nice. I have a house in Samoeng and I'm gonna start staying up there more often and let my wife hang out alone in the city during the work week more.

Long term I'd like to move out entirely and not see the city more than once a month. If I could get my wife away I'd try to any of the smaller northern cities like Mae Hong Son, Phayao, Nan etc...

• Love It 1

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

the sad story of the forum member being killed on his bike today

Have the circumstances of the accident been made known to forum members? On the RIP thread, the details seem to have only been shared with known friends and associates via PM. If you are going to go on a racist rant about Thais and their poor driving skills based on this accident, perhaps the details of the accident should be shared openly.

Recreational motorcycle riding, particularly long distance touring, in a country with a poor road safety record is ill-advised. Drinking and driving are a disastrous combination. Hyper defensive driving skills are needed for those who choose to engage in motorcycle or any motoring activities. Beyond reminding people of these obvious truths, I don't see the value of this thread.

Edited by Gecko123

18 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

that's the real rule of the road here. I'm bigger and I got here first. If your traffic law is "rule of the jungle" you're not yet a civilized people.

Thailand is somewhere between a developing country, and the 3rd world. And many have not driven for long, so the lack of skills combined with a lack of common sense can be lethal. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Have the circumstances of the accident been made known to forum members? On the RIP thread, the details seem to have only been shared by known friends and associates. If you are going to go on a racist rant about Thais and their poor driving skills based on this accident, perhaps the details of the accident should be shared openly.

Recreational motorcycle riding, particularly long distance touring, in a country with a poor road safety record is ill-advised. Drinking and driving are a disastrous combination. Hyper defensive driving skills are needed for those who choose to engage in motorcycle or any motoring activities. Beyond reminding people of these obvious truths, I don't see the value of this thread.

well pro active or hyper defensive is the question, personally I like active riding where I keep the traffic behind me, create space and room around me, as well being pro active when passing trucks, u turns and expect anything to happen from any directions. 

Jumping wehericles from the sides is a huge problem, but staying on the left side of the road, will not give you much room for surprises coming from left. I rather have enough power to stay in the active line to the right which is better in my opinion, but again, then you need to keep traffic behind, which also means driving faster than the traffic. At the end, there is no safe riding in Thailand, just luck, and when your luck bucket is empty, time to quit. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

If you are going to go on a racist rant about Thais and their poor driving skills based on this accident, perhaps the details of the accident should be shared openly.

It wouldn't matter if it was his fault, not likely though. Many Thai people behave like uncivilized savages on the road. I don't care if that's racist because it's the truth.

Just in case you forgot here's an example. The truck driver had zero intention of stopping because he has no respect for others. These are the people that inhabit Thai roads and you need to deal with them on a daily basis. Savages.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

We also have our friends the driving licence people at the DLT who in many cities will make it a point to make a fuss on driver foreigner driver licence conversion and many offices have rude staff who just love hushing foreigners away and find some excuse not to do the foreign licence conversion for Thailand.

Well, take a test, if you are a 'good' driver it should not be problem!

There should not be a 'conversion' from a foreign licence, the qualification of which was 40 years ago!

Is there a 'conversion' from a foreign available in your country