Has anyone else seen this lack of knowledge by some here while using a drill

steven100

5 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

hes too busy patrolling these threads .......with his sage wisdom and advice (waits for response)

I think he's smarting a bit after saying the bus that crashed yday wasn't electric, when actually it was, doesn't like being proved wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last year when on our daily visit to oversee our new house being built, the floor tiles had been layed only a few days before and there was a carpenter fixing door etc. He had brought his around 3-4 year old son with him, he was working in another room and the baby was playing with the live electric drill on the floor happily putting the trigger and letting the revolving drill bit scrape all over the tiles. 
I called out to my wife she told the boy off which resulted in him bawling his head off and then she went on to chastise the chippie for allowing it all to happen. A careful check on the tiles and thankfully no damage.  

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

There is a reason why those tools have manuals. And if people can't read or don't want to read then they could still ask someone to show them how to use them or watch a YouTube video.

But it seems that just doesn't happen.

IMHO it seems that most workers here don't use their brain - or maybe they don't have one.

Some things should be easy to understand like you write. But they don't understand. They don't even realize that they did something wrong. It's sad, but it is reality in Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

It is not only Thais but farangs also. Just seen a well known Thai based you tuber install a wall mount for a 55inch tv. He drills about 1/4 inch and the bit punches through in to fresh air. All four holes are the same result. He then inserts what looks like 3/16 inch plastic wall plugs with small screws. If he had left the screen parallel he might have got away with it, but he angles the screen downward putting the top screws in tension instead of shear. I am waiting for the headline, "Well known you tuber starts crowdfunding his medical bill after TV falls on his head".

13 hours ago, Adumbration said:

My personal favorite was watching a so called plumber put a fitting on the end of the pvc pipe and then smear the glue on the outside of the joint.

Best one i've seen is FIL connecting gas bottle.

Rubber grommet worn out and he was trying to improvise with thread tape to seal it.

On the drill,where is that chuck key????

• Haha 1

On 9/28/2023 at 3:37 PM, safarimike11 said:

I once (only once) tried to drill a hole with the drill (Black & Decker) switched in reverse; not a lot of people know that...

In fact running a drill in reverse, at the start, is a normal and acceptable way of using some drill bits in some materials as then they don’t walk around too much. Though of course after a second or two you need to change the direction.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Crossy said:

And then ...

My own experience (from that thread): -

Back in the late 90's I was working in Hong Kong on the airport express line (just before Chek Lap Cok-up opened). A Chinese guy was having a hell of a time drilling a wall to put up some sort of signage. Yes, he too had the drill in reverse, never had the heart to tell him (face and all that) but when we were back at that station two days later the sign was sitting forlornly on the floor, it could be there to this day.

Oh I can do better than that @Crossy

Roughly two million years ago I was a second year apprentice working in huge workshop of what was, back then, Australia's biggest electrical distrubution council.

There was lots of very expensive HV switchgear, lightning arrestors, et al arriving, mostly from Germany, and we had to put each item through its paces before signing off on the delivery.

This process was called acceptance testing and it included simulating lightning strikes.

A giant variac (about the size of a mini cooper I recall) was used to generate the strike voltage.  For those unfamiliar, a variac is basically an iron dougnut which is wrapped thousands, and in this case, millions of times with the same strand of copper wire.  The windings are then set in resin or something similar to protect them.

After much expense and a very long wait the new (even bigger and more expensive) variac arrived at our workshop from Germany.  The head of the acceptance testing department put it through it's paces, gave it the thumbs up, and then telephoned the supplier in Germany to inform them that all was good and their invoice would be paid.

A day or so later I was working at my workbench (calibrating meters) and another 2nd year apprentice was standing with me talking BS.  The head of the department saw this and grabbed the loafer by the ear and told him to put an asset tag on the new variac.

For those unfamiliar, back in the day, large organisations would attach an asset tag to all significant plant so that it could be accounted for.  This was well before computers, barcodes, skus  etc.

The asset tag was a small oblong shaped strip of aluminum about 3 inches long.  On it was stamped the asset ID number and at the end were two little tabs that could be fitted into a pair of drilled holes then folded over so the asset tag is well secured.  

The other apprenctice promptly fitted the asset tag to the variac and then, after lunch, we heard screaming from the lightning simulation bay.  It was the head of the department, literally screaming at the top of his lungs.

To fit the asset tag, the other apprentice had to drill a pair of small holes each about 6mm in diameter in the 3mm metal sheet outer housing of the variac. But once he punched through, he had also drilled into, and severed, a good number of copper windings that were located underneath.

Edited by Adumbration
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Oh I can do better than that @Crossy

Roughly two million years ago I was a second year apprentice working in huge workshop of what was, back then, Australia's biggest electrical distrubution council.

There was lots of very expensive HV switchgear, lightning arrestors, et al arriving, mostly from Germany, and we had to put each item through its paces before signing off on the delivery.

This process was called acceptance testing and it included simulating lightning strikes.

A giant variac (about the size of a mini cooper I recall) was used to generate the strike voltage.  For those unfamiliar, a variac is basically an iron dougnut which is wrapped thousands, and in this case, millions of times with the same strand of copper wire.  The windings are then set in resin or something similar to protect them.

After much expense and a very long wait the new (even bigger and more expensive) variac arrived at our workshop from Germany.  The head of the acceptance testing department put it through it's paces, gave it the thumbs up, and then telephoned the supplier in Germany to inform them that all was good and their invoice would be paid.

A day or so later I was working at my workbench (calibrating meters) and another 2nd year apprentice was standing with me talking BS.  The head of the department saw this and grabbed the loafer by the ear and told him to put an asset tag on the new variac.

For those unfamiliar, back in the day, large organisations would attach an asset tag to all significant plant so that it could be accounted for.  This was well before computers, barcodes, skus  etc.

The asset tag was a small oblong shaped strip of aluminum about 3 inches long.  On it was stamped the asset ID number and at the end were two little tabs that could be fitted into a pair of drilled holes then folded over so the asset tag is well secured.  

The other apprenctice promptly fitted the asset tag to the variac and then, after lunch, we heard screaming from the lightning simulation bay.  It was the head of the department, literally screaming at the top of his lungs.

To fit the asset tag, the other apprentice had to drill a pair of small holes each about 6mm in diameter in the 3mm metal sheet outer housing of the variac. But once he punched through, he had also drilled into, and severed, a good number of copper windings that were located underneath.

I - for one - need to know what the outcome was.

• 4 weeks later...