What happens when you get a jury duty summons in the mail?

Khyron

Hello all,

I am looking to retire in a few years, and am trying to get things situated before hand.

This actually will have two questions.

The first is as the title specifies, I am in California at the moment. 

The second is, how did anyone get the junk mail separated from the legit mail after they moved? My wife and I don't have kids to impose on, and we don't want to burden our friends with going through the junk and real mail. unless that is the only way to do so?

I will probably ask a close friend to if I can use their address for bank stuff, but really nothing else.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

14 minutes ago, Khyron said:

Hello all,

I am looking to retire in a few years, and am trying to get things situated before hand.

This actually will have two questions.

The first is as the title specifies, I am in California at the moment. 

The second is, how did anyone get the junk mail separated from the legit mail after they moved? My wife and I don't have kids to impose on, and we don't want to burden our friends with going through the junk and real mail. unless that is the only way to do so?

I will probably ask a close friend to if I can use their address for bank stuff, but really nothing else.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Guess it depends on when you are going to move from California.................https://www.courts.ca.gov/juryservice.htm

18 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

There are many mai services that you can redirect your mail to.They will scan and email the contents if required.You leave your Instructions with them and they will handle it accordingly. Very simple and  easy solution.

Not sure i'd trust a total stranger with my mail tbh, but to each their own.

I’ve have 3 summons so far.. as i live and work here, attending isn’t a viable option.  What I did was to email the clerk/jury duty office and inform them.  My parents receive my mail and will open anything that looks to them as if it’s time critical or would require some action on my end.

The first time they asked me to write a letter, hand signed and mail it back to them indicating my circumstances.  The two later following times, I only needed to call. 

If you put in a change of address junk mail is not forwarded although new junk mail will start up at some point. Use a family member if they are willing or a mail service. You can also contact the Court Clerks office ahead of your move and notify them but if you continue to have a valid drivers license that may not work as you'll still potentially come up in the system (same with voter registration).  Technically if you dont live in that jurisdiction you cant serve on a jury anyway but you need to provide proof or a written statement. 

15 hours ago, Social Media said:

So the Post man and all the Post office staff are your family then ?...lol...you do it everyday with the mail service, its no diffeent.

Do the post man and post office staff open the mail?

It's completely different, you're giving people the authority to pen and scan your mail, postmen ( or women or binary nuetral humans ) do not do that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

What on earth are you waffling on about?

It's completely different, you're giving people the authority to pen and scan your mail, postmen ( or women or binary nuetral humans ) do not do that.

How naive are you? It happens globally!! 

Search "postman steals mail" ????

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I'm in Chiang Mai and use my father's address in PA as I don't have any kids to use theirs. He told me I got a jury duty notice a while back. He (and I) did nothing about it, the date came and went and never heard anything about it. 

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

You nmade no reference to "opening mail" you said "Not sure i'd trust a total stranger with my mail " !

and as for the second part you conveniently missed "if required"

3 minutes ago, Social Media said:

You nmade no reference to "opening mail" you said "Not sure i'd trust a total stranger with my mail " !

and as for the second part you conveniently missed "if required"

And you conveniently missed this, it's about a service provided for mail - you're welcome.

"There are many mai services that you can redirect your mail to.They will scan and email the contents if required.You leave your Instructions with them and they will handle it accordingly"

The underline bit explains strangers will open your mail, you may have missed that bit?

20 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

And you conveniently missed this; it's about a service provided for mail. You're welcome.

"There are many mail services that you can redirect your mail to.They will scan and email the contents if required.You leave your Instructions with them and they will handle it accordingly."

The underline bit explains that strangers will open your mail; you may have missed that bit.

And once again you missed out "if required" in that sentence, just using the first part 

"There are many mai services that you can redirect your mail to.They will scan and email the contents if required.You leave your Instructions with them and they will handle it accordingly"

The underline bit expalins they will do it "if required" does not mean its done automatically.

4 minutes ago, Social Media said:

And once again you missed out "if required" in that sentence, just using the first part 

The underline bit expalins they will do it "if required" does not mean its done automatically.

But surely if you need to read the contents it's required for the mail to be opened - lol.

4 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

But surely if you need to read the contents it's required for the mail to be opened - lol.

The last sentence....

"You leave your Instructions with them and they will handle it accordingly. Very simple and  easy solution."

So if your instruction is just "forward" they dont open it, if your insruction is "open it and tell me what it is" then of course they have to open it but its on your instruction not otherwise.

• Haha 1

This is my method in 15 years.  I use a free service called Catalog? Online sign up.

You need to create a personal log as to what is important to you know exact when they expire etc. 

Need to go paperless for everything. 

Are you leaving U.S. not to return,  so far I return basically once a year I run through the mail the junk. I contact personally or I online unsubscribe. 

Personal I know what I need so my family member doesn't have to worry I tell them if something looks importsnt open anything my life is a open book price of method. 

Credit card some will mail to Thailand I also leave a filled out FedEx slip if something important needs to be forwarded.  I also leave a number of personal checks.

As for jury notice I've always disregarded them never been warned etc.  Never sign up you want to vote.  

Last few years I've been getting notices being a good citizen I call them up from here get only six month extension went on for a year at my age I ask for a medical exception and told travel alot refused finally when new notice came I told friend trash it <deleted> them.

Really,  with people at my home robbing stores defunding of police turning Cities into <deleted> holes anyone walking over the border fentinol being sold everywhere is it illegal who cares they want to issue a warrant knock themselves out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My last driver license was connected to my daughter's address in Colorado.  She informed me that I got a jury duty letter.  There was an email address I could contact.  So I sent and email to that person working in that particular court house. I explained that I have been gone the past 4 years retired in Thailand. Attached a few photos of me on the beach showing some thai writing.  She replied no problem and took me off their list. 

• Like 1

There are couple of things which worked in California;

1. Register a business, any kind, and be a sole owner/worker.

- easy to get jury waivers due to "hardship"

2. Last time when I renewed DL I made X to "NO political connection". Meaning not part of any party. No more jury duty letters.

- I still vote, of course

• Thumbs Up 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/28/2023 at 2:40 AM, HappyExpat57 said:

Having said that, my son in Washington state has ignored 5 jury summons and nothing has happened to him.

My brother lives in Washington state. Are you my father??

OP - Does it really matter how much junk mail the post office forwards to you? You throw it away at home so just throw it away now. As for the jury summons - if you were living in CA. at the time you must reply - if you were living in Thailand at the time, you must reply. (they won't make you fly back for it)

• 4 weeks later...

For at least 10 years BC (before covid) I had no US address

Being stranded abroad from Thailand for months caused me to take action

Now I have a US address

I filled out the questionare about 6 months ago.

In  October received my first Jury Summons in more than 20 years

I go to the US almost every month anyway but  because I had company training  it would have been a big hassle.

Emailed the court and received an official continuance signed by a Judge because

Now today I see in  my email I got another summons for December. (I have the USPS service that sends me an email pic of just about every item I receive in the postbox except the advertisements).

That junk that stuffs my box full early. A bane of my existence. No way to opt out

The summons is just a postcard and I can clearly see all the info on it. I will attend but have to cancel a medical appointment now

I think I should maybe cancel the email service as being out of the country and never seeing your mail should be a pretty good excuse to have your contempt of court charges dropped. It is 2024 almost already why don't they call or send an email?

Thanks for all the replies, I was hoping that after a few years, everything would kind of fall away and you would just not be in the system anymore, guess that's not the case.

I figure that we (or me) will make a trip back every year or two. It would be easier if I were to keep my California DL, but with that, come jury summons.

I have heard that one of the Dakota's (North or South) allows you to claim residency without actually living there. I'll need to look at it more closely. My reasoning is that possibly I can get a DL and not get any summons? Thats what I heard anyway. 

On 11/25/2023 at 12:45 PM, Khyron said:

Thanks for all the replies, I was hoping that after a few years, everything would kind of fall away and you would just not be in the system anymore, guess that's not the case.

I figure that we (or me) will make a trip back every year or two. It would be easier if I were to keep my California DL, but with that, come jury summons.

I have heard that one of the Dakota's (North or South) allows you to claim residency without actually living there. I'll need to look at it more closely. My reasoning is that possibly I can get a DL and not get any summons? Thats what I heard anyway. 

I don't know I avoided it since 2020

You can ask to be take off the voter registration, and not renew DL, but what about proprrty tax?