Did you just go on the spur of the moment

georgegeorgia

39 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most of us have pensions that will last until we die.

My pension will last until my much younger Thai wife dies.

Doesn't matter how long we live, no need to plan.

If western pensions were to fail, it's unlikely the western banks or the world as we know it would survive. So still no need to plan, unless your plans include building a hidden fortress, arming it, and filling it with 20 years of supplies.

Hopefully mine will, as told wife, not to tell anyone, and bury my butt in the garden.  So I better die in my sleep, and not while O&A ????

She's not eligible for my govt Soc Sec, and my company pension is a pittance, so not worth telling them I crapped out, as SS will know.

Not even sure if she is eligible for my pension (฿13k now), and would be enough for the basics (food), since not having any real monthly bills.

Edited by KhunLA

On 9/30/2023 at 7:56 AM, georgegeorgia said:

There is a man at my work currently on disciplinary paid leave .

But he is 60 and recently divorced and has  1 million dollars AUD which is 23 million baht  , after selling the house in Australia and retirement savings combined 60yo

He is going to Thailand ,no plans ,no nothing ,he has been there many times 

I told him not to ,he said stress ,life ,divorce , has given him a breakdown he must leave as soon as the money hits his bank account,he starts crying to me at work on one of his days of interview,he said I had enough, the house is sold ,the Superannuation will hit the bank account and I'm off ,no planning ,no nothing and I won't be back !! 

Obviously he won't survive,why ?

No planning ,I'm 62 and still planning , unable to survive on that money for the next 50 years he has left .

Did you plan on retiring to Asia or just left !

At 55, I divorced my cheating wife, quit my high-paying but utterly thankless job, took early retirement and left the US - all in a 6 month period.  No plans at all other than to travel.

15 years later I have a wife of 14 years, 1 rai of land, two houses, and a quality of life in conservative rural Thailand that would be impossible in the US.  Now at a time when US federal and local governments keep ratcheting up the tax burden as well as implementing more and more petty laws governing how you can live.  Then let's not even mention the rampant crime that is now allow to happen with virtually no consequences in cities with progressive District Attorney's and progressive petty tyrant government official that insinuate themselves into even conservative communities with traditional values.  And then the totally irresponsible government spending in the Trillions of dollars USD that is now coming home to roost as rampant inflation.
It's no longer the country that I grew up in during the the latter part of the 20th Century. 

Nope - I don't miss much of anything from that life thank you very much. 

Edited by connda

2 minutes ago, connda said:

At 55, I divorced my cheating wife, quit my high-paying but utterly thankless job, took early retirement and left the US - all in a 6 month period.  No plans at all other than to travel.

15 years later I have a wife of 14 years, 1 rai of land, two houses, and a quality of life in conservative rural Thailand that would be impossible in the US.  Now at a time when US federal and local governments keep ratcheting up the tax burden as well as implementing more and more petty laws governing how you can live.  Then let's not even mention the rampant crime that is now allow to happen with virtually no consequences in cities with progressive District Attorney's and progressive petty tyrant government official that insinuate themselves into even conservative communities with traditional values.  And then the totally irresponsible government spending in the Trillions of dollars USD that is now coming home to roost as rampant inflation.
It's no longer the country that I grew up in during the the latter part of the 20th Century. 

Nope - I don't miss much of anything from that life thank you very much. 

And your "friend" will do fine.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

How many of your peers made 84?

Then ask yourself, do I want to live 20-30 years as an old unhealthy/disabled person?

In my 40's so don't know many older folks. Both my parents mid 80's.

I think disabled people still have a desire for life.

If you are a fat, smoking, heaver drinker then those folks should listen to you. 

Your points are typical of folks who probably didn’t quite plan that well for retirement: i need less because blah blah blah

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, noobexpat said:

If you are a fat, smoking, heaver drinker then those folks should listen to you. 

Your points are typical of folks who probably didn’t quite plan that well for retirement: i need less because blah blah blah

As stated, a cousin made past 80, but aside from him, I don't know anyone, family or peers that have.  My mother/73, and father/69, oldest in their family line.  Most self induced, alky & smokers, and cancer killing most early on, pre-60 yrs old.

Peers, I've outlived most. My brothers are 63, 70, 76, and all healthy.  Non heavy drinkers, and only 1 smoker, quitting long time ago.  I probably abused my body more than them.  Though rarely sip anything the past 10-15 yrs, and never smoked cigs, quit regular ganga smoking almost 30 yrs ago.

I'll be happy, thrilled with 75-80, if healthy, but don't expect to be around after 80.  Certainly wouldn't waste any of their inheritance, keeping myself going, if having a medical oops, that wasn't 100% recovery adding 5 more years, and no doc can guarantee that at my age.

Exceeded life expectancy for being born 1954, which is 67.7.  On borrowed time ... Tic Toc Tic Toc ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2023 at 4:02 PM, hotandsticky said:

Coming here for a year, straight off, would not be sensible.

Try a taster first. Money is not an issue, I only mentioned budget for a one month trip to LIMIT the amount he spends. Later, after a period of reelection back home, he can then make plans for a longer stay  -  that is the time to take a look around, research the country, the female company and think about where he might want to put some roots down - or not.

He's been to LOS many times ( it's in the OP ). He probably knows as much as he needs to.

1 hour ago, noobexpat said:

Mother still golfing at 81. Grandmother 99. 

Wife' s grandfather was 108

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 9:37 AM, spidermike007 said:

How many years does he have left? Do you know what percentage of the population lives to be 110? He likely has no more than 25 years left. And he has enough money, especially with his pension. 

Quite the contrary to your position. Life is way too short to hang out in a broken down nation, that gives you no fulfillment. 

Cut off point for Aus OAP is circa 850K cash.  So no pension.

Ok so let's define this as the OP 

23 Million he has give or take 

Out of that he has to pay medical insurance, buy a condo perhaps, etc 

I have more than 23 million baht in assets if I sold my house and cash in my retirement funds and I'm still working at nearly 62:, in fact I'm on night shift this week then Day shift next week 

There is absolutely no way I will risk it yet 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I have more than 23 million baht in assets if I sold my house and cash in my retirement funds and I'm still working at nearly 62:, in fact I'm on night shift this week then Day shift next week 

ok wait until you're 70 when you won't have long left due to ill health. Aren't you diabetic? high blood pressure meds? you'll be very lucky to get anywhere near 80

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

So, for you retiring in Thailand is a pipe dream. If you won't risk it with 23 million. you never will. 

If, as another poster mentioned you have diabetes. Then for sure you will never reach 100 years of age!  

Edited by CharlieKo
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

Cut off point for Aus OAP is circa 850K cash.  So no pension.

Correct. But the guy is only 60 so he still has 2 more years to legally park it somewhere as the Aus OAP don’t care what you did with your cash 5 or more years prior to your pension application at 67.  

Edited by Nemises

8 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

If your house is paid for then rent it, don't sell.

5 hours ago, Nemises said:

Correct. But the guy is only 60 so he still has 2 more years to legally park it somewhere as the Aus OAP don’t care what you did with your cash 5 or more years prior to your pension application at 67.  

You mean if you have xxx amount of savings you can't collect the government money?

So the guy works his entire life in one of the best countries on the planet to earn

a wage and only has to show AUD 1 million and only after he sells a house that probably appreciated 500% since he bought it.

I come to Thailand at age 39 with barely 200k CAD in savings and 11 years later I have close to 1 million CAD while working 2-3 hours per day.

Yes, I am gloating because I spent my working life in Thailand while he was slaving away on the prison island and for wot?

Yes, he will absolutely and utterly fail here because guys like him end up with a first hooker who will separate him from money. After kids auntie and a bro are taken care off after the obligatory house in Isaan he will be back with a tail between his legs. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Celsius said:

So the guy works his entire life in one of the best countries on the planet to earn

a wage and only has to show AUD 1 million and only after he sells a house that probably appreciated 500% since he bought it.

I come to Thailand at age 39 with barely 200k CAD in savings and 11 years later I have close to 1 million CAD while working 2-3 hours per day.

Yes, I am gloating because I spent my working life in Thailand while he was slaving away on the prison island and for wot?

Yes, he will absolutely and utterly fail here because guys like him end up with a first hooker who will separate him from money. After kids auntie and a bro are taken care off after the obligatory house in Isaan he will be back with a tail between his legs. 

Prison island? You don't know Australia; I was born in Europe moved to Australia long time ago made plenty of money had a good business and lost everything in LOS. Moved back to Australia and couldn't be happier 

2 minutes ago, still kicking said:

Prison island? You don't know Australia; I was born in Europe moved to Australia long time ago made plenty of money had a good business and lost everything in LOS. Moved back to Australia and couldn't be happier 

My ex wife is Australian.

And I like Australia, but the ones who choose to leave usually try and make every excuse under the sun as to why Thailand is better.

The OP's friend seems to be literay crying to get out of there.

Primed for being ripped off

I agree that you should do research and have plans.

I left with much much less than that 20 years ago and now my net worth has almost doubled.

He definitely has enough money!

But anyone might fail for a wide variety of reasons not necessarily related to money.

2 minutes ago, Celsius said:

My ex wife is Australian.

And I like Australia, but the ones who choose to leave usually try and make every excuse under the sun as to why Thailand is better.

The OP's friend seems to be literay crying to get out of there.

Primed for being ripped off

My wife is Thai as well (dual citizen) yet she would not go to Thailand to live there apart from visiting family she has been here since 2003 she loves Australia and has a good job.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I agree that you should do research and have plans.

I left with much much less than that 20 years ago and now my net worth has almost doubled.

He definitely has enough money!

But anyone might fail for a wide variety of reasons not necessarily related to money.

Spot on!

On 9/30/2023 at 3:11 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I don't understand why not ,I am planning to 100.

That's why I'm still working and doing shift work and overtime even at my age which I'm finding it very hard to work one week day and then night etc but I'm doing it so I can retire in case I live to 100

I tell myself and friends that I signed up for the 140 year plan, not because I'm a good prognosticator, but because I believe optimism keeps me going.  But I finally retired last year and now at 82, I and my 41 yr old TGF are now exploring retirement locations.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, still kicking said:

May I ask what happened?

Similar to thaibeachlovers ?

1 hour ago, habuspasha said:

I tell myself and friends that I signed up for the 140 year plan, not because I'm a good prognosticator, but because I believe optimism keeps me going.  But I finally retired last year and now at 82, I and my 41 yr old TGF are now exploring retirement locations.

Congratulations , it seems you have done your planning and shouldn't run out of money .