Doin' IT on The Rooftops of a Penthouse in Kowloon...

Close, but no cigar ???? 

• It was Hong Kong but in 1998
  • The girl was Korean
  • It wasn't the roof but it was a high floor in the Marco Polo Hotel, Tsim Sha Tsui so we could see the city lights.

As always, the lady in question was great fun, sadly she wouldn't marry me (asked twice) ????

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You might think Thailand is exciting. 

Thailand is BORING compared to HK years ago. 

I feel sorry for you. 

I worked in HK 1969-71. I was disappointed because it was a bit too civilised and modern for my taste. It wasn't a patch on my two year stay in Singapore 1963-65 which I thought was fantastic and nothing like what it is today. I suspect Thailand at that time was out of this world. I was never fortunate to visit here until 2007, but people used to talk about it in glowing terms. I have no desire to revisit HK or Singers.

• Like 1

You might think Thailand is exciting. 

Thailand is BORING compared to HK years ago. 

I feel sorry for you. 

You think you know so much, yet you know so little. What a silly comparison. Were you ever in Thailand 30+ years ago?

Are you smart enough to understand the meaning of CEDED IN PERPETUITY? 

Think about it. 

A bit condescending and based on incorrect information.  Kowloon peninsula was ceded to the British in 1842.  The area of the Kowloon peninsula north of Boundary Street now known as the New Territories was given to Britain on a 99 year lease commencing 1898 and expiring on 30 June 1997.  The subsequent talks between Maggie Thatcher and Deng Xiao Ping in the eighties resulted in the Joint Declaration stating that China would resume sovereignty over Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and the New Territories on the 1st July 1997.  Hong Kong and Kowloon were at that time so intertwined with the New Territories that it was impossible to separate them.

Was I there - Yes

Did I take part in the handover - Yes

Rooftop - Yes, and many other weird places over the years.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, marin said:

You think you know so much, yet you know so little. What a silly comparison. Were you ever in Thailand 30+ years ago?

I knew even less then. 

1971 was one of my silliest of years. 

Wasn't straight even a day in 1971. 

Have you ever been silly? 

Have you ever been experienced? 

• Love It 1

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The British should have installed a desalination plant on HK.

HK could have been sustained, easily, for perpetuity, according to the original agreement.

There was no need to leave.

Maybe they were just too worried about potable water and vegetables from the Mainland.

If only the British had had a bit of backbone, in 1997,  we would still be there, today.

What a mistake to leave.

The British did build a desalination plant at a place called Lok On Pai near Tuen Mun.  The growth of population and attendant demands for water and vegetables could not have been met locally.

How much backbone would be needed to feed and water a population of 6 million while trying to stop the Red Army from waltzing over the border?  It was militarily and logistically impossible.  The British military presence in HK in modern years was smaller than the presence that could not stop the Japanese in December 1941.

Apart from certain rooftops you appear to know very little about the place.

13 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I wasn't there no .

I once bought a flight from Philippines to Hong Kong in about 1990 , I went out for a drink the night before , got slaughtered , missed the flight and didn't ever end up going to Hong Kong 

I did something similar.  I got slaughtered at a work party in Hong Kong and woke up in the Philippines!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

A bit condescending and based on incorrect information.  Kowloon peninsula was ceded to the British in 1842.  The area of the Kowloon peninsula north of Boundary Street now known as the New Territories was given to Britain on a 99 year lease commencing 1898 and expiring on 30 June 1997.  The subsequent talks between Maggie Thatcher and Deng Xiao Ping in the eighties resulted in the Joint Declaration stating that China would resume sovereignty over Hong Kong Island, Kowloon and the New Territories on the 1st July 1997.  Hong Kong and Kowloon were at that time so intertwined with the New Territories that it was impossible to separate them.

Was I there - Yes

Did I take part in the handover - Yes

Rooftop - Yes, and many other weird places over the years.

OK. 

I cede to your greater wisdom.

But I was there in 1980. And for many years after that. 

So many good memories. 

There was a village feel to it. 

• Love It 1

13 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You cannot correct me, because what I stated is true 

He can, because you are not correct.  Hong Kong was ceded to the UK, not leased.   The part that was later leased from China was just the New Territories, not the whole of Hong Kong.

You seem to be such an apt student of history... 

Congrats! 

But, were you there? 

Well. He is 100%  correct. I'm presently in HK (permanent HKID),and ,yes, I for one was here when the  Brits left in 1997.

And Kowloon was (still is) crap.

Wanchai and LKF were where the action was. But Covid killed a lot of it, sadly.

I have a large house in outer Bangkok and a tiny flat in Wanchai.

So I know about "Tale of 2  cities".

13 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

The British did build a desalination plant at a place called Lok On Pai near Tuen Mun.  The growth of population and attendant demands for water and vegetables could not have been met locally.

How much backbone would be needed to feed and water a population of 6 million while trying to stop the Red Army from waltzing over the border?  It was militarily and logistically impossible.  The British military presence in HK in modern years was smaller than the presence that could not stop the Japanese in December 1941.

Apart from certain rooftops you appear to know very little about the place.

I knew my wife. 

Biblically. 

On the roof of her penthouse. 

• Love It 1

14 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

No. 

I'd much rather be doing it at night on a rooftop in HK. 

Or in a small boat in the HK harbor. 

Ever read James Clavel while floating in the South China Sea? 

Cannot identify with the former but Tai Pan is one of my all time favorites. A step down and it is watching the movie, Noble House.

Met a Filipina nurse in the elevator of Chungking Mansions back in 2000.  We carried on a torrid affair on and off for two years, whenever I would come thru HK on my way to or from BKK.  Although the handover was in 1997, HK retained a lot of its vibrancy for a few years.  By 2001, though, the bloom was definitely off the rose.

What I do remember seeing on rooftops of Wanchai from  high rise in QRE were  bags hanging from  poles being bashed with sticks.

Apparently it was the way dogs were tenderised before cooking.

Not even legal all those many years ago but it's what happened. 

Edited by Thailand
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, orchidfan said:

Well. He is 100%  correct. I'm presently in HK (permanent HKID),and ,yes, I for one was here when the  Brits left in 1997.

And Kowloon was (still is) crap.

Wanchai and LKF were where the action was. But Covid killed a lot of it, sadly.

I have a large house in outer Bangkok and a tiny flat in Wanchai.

So I know about "Tale of 2  cities".

I guess the tiny flat in Wanchai is worth as much if not more than the large house in outer Bangkok?

I remember a parking space in Causeway Bay, I think, that sold for $100,000 30+ years ago.

I see some are over 1 million US nowadays! :shock1:

11 minutes ago, Thailand said:

I guess the tiny flat in Wanchai is worth as much if not more than the large house in outer Bangkok?

I remember a parking space in Causeway Bay, I think, that sold for $100,000 30+ years ago.

I see some are over 1 million US nowadays! :shock1:

Yes, correct ! The 4br, 3 bathroom,  2 storey, big garden house in Pathum Thani cost (20yrs ago ) about 1 mill $HKD.

This tiny flat (2 br, 1 bathroom etc) now would sell for about 4~6 mill HKD !!! Crazy.

But good location, next to an MTR exit. Tram,  5 mins walk away,etc.

And as a Senior (or Elder person ) I go almost anywhere for $HK 2.

Although airport bus is only 50% discount,  but at 21 Hkd, not too bad.

As you probably know, everything works here....power, internet etc, typhoon or not.

But Thailand (thai wife) is a third of the cost, or less (especially medical...virtually free ) to live long term.

9 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Yes, correct ! The 4br, 3 bathroom,  2 storey, big garden house in Pathum Thani cost (20yrs ago ) about 1 mill $HKD.

This tiny flat (2 br, 1 bathroom etc) now would sell for about 4~6 mill HKD !!! Crazy.

But good location, next to an MTR exit. Tram,  5 mins walk away,etc.

And as a Senior (or Elder person ) I go almost anywhere for $HK 2.

Although airport bus is only 50% discount,  but at 21 Hkd, not too bad.

As you probably know, everything works here....power, internet etc, typhoon or not.

But Thailand (thai wife) is a third of the cost, or less (especially medical...virtually free ) to live long term.

The flat sounds like close to Southorn?

Friends have 3 flats in Star Street and one in North Point

15 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Please stop trolling me. 

Find a GF, if you can, and.. try to be happy.. even if happiness may be beyond you... 

At least, try to be happy, why don't you? 

Ironic…. don’t you think?

Found HK to be vapid and boring. Full of superficial people seemingly only interested in networking, drugs etc

Was happy to leave even though I had free apartment in Lan Kwai Fong and another at The Peak. Wasn’t the place for me. 

That being said, my friends there were some of the nicest people I know. 

16 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

No. 

I'd much rather be doing it at night on a rooftop in HK. 

Or in a small boat in the HK harbor. 

Ever read James Clavel while floating in the South China Sea? 

I have... everything from Shogun through Noble House... Granted it's been a long time, but I do not remember him describing "doing it" no top of a high-rise. 555

15 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

YES!

Correct.  And I think you are thinking of Chungking Mansions.

Plenty of great Indian food in that great monstrosity of a building.

But the most interesting thing about that building is the film....CHUNGKING EXPRESS.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chungking_Mansions

It was a very dangerous place to stay, I remember using the stairs one time from way up, had to walk through a kitchen and their rubbish was on the stairs and if my memory serves me well just shortly after we left for 3 months China there was a fire and residents had to be rescued from the roof by helicopter. But it was very cheap to stay there at the time...The building had a central well and you could look down on all the A/C units piled on top with rubbish. ????

17 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You have not lived

Until you have done this...

With your China Girl.

How many here have made love on the rooftops of buildings in Hong Kong, before 1997, and before the British were kicked out....

Just asking.

Ever been to the APPLE disco in Hong Kong, years ago?

Any other interesting memories about HK before the commies marched in?

Doing it on the rooftops of HK is pretty exciting.

All those lights around and above you....

You know that someone is watching....

BUT....

Who cares!

I was living in HK from 1973 to 2008.  

If it could be done in HK, I've done it.

19 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Don't you ever have anything constructive to add to my Topics? 

Are any of your posts remotely interesting or constructive? They are all about YOU!

And don't tell me I don't need to read them because I don't know it is you until I click!

Stop trying to be smart and being  special with what you think is unique or profound!

Have you packed your bags yet?

And please, no more of the god stuff - some of us are smarter than that!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

He can, because you are not correct.  Hong Kong was ceded to the UK, not leased.   The part that was later leased from China was just the New Territories, not the whole of Hong Kong.

Point being that the U.K left Hong Kong willingly and were not chased off , although Hong Kongers seem to want the British back, rather than having Chinese rule 

• Haha 1