Foreign survivor criticises slow response of Thai police in Siam Paragon shooting (video)

webfact

The police might had been able to respond quicker.  But they are probably not trained to handle this sort of situation.  Except for a special operations team unfortunately. 
The ambulances were probably held up in traffic as part of the reasons.  But the usual protocol is an ambulance won’t enter an area  unless a serious situation in completely contained 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Not defending the RTP but getting to everyone in this type of circumstance in a rapid manner is essentially “mission impossible”.  Otherwise BKK can become like Manila  where most shopping malls have actual security guards posted at all entrances along with actual bag searches.  One can imagine how long it would take to get people into the malls if actual security procedures were implemented in BKK.  

Actually, you are correct.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Not defending the RTP but getting to everyone in this type of circumstance in a rapid manner is essentially “mission impossible”.  Otherwise BKK can become like Manila  where most shopping malls have actual security guards posted at all entrances along with actual bag searches.  One can imagine how long it would take to get people into the malls if actual security procedures were implemented in BKK.  

a rapid bag and body scanner system..Im sure 10 seconds of your precious time would be acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

39 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

I would have thought of all places to have a rapid response units would be the head office, great planning that is, now we know why it's chaos on the roads, 

Commando Unit has been out in Latphao forever.

image.png.a0bca45c15ed8093ef254434b90edcc7.png

• Confused 2

37 minutes ago, tandor said:

a rapid bag and body scanner system..Im sure 10 seconds of your precious time would be acceptable.

How many scanners and how many additional trained, qualified and competent security officers would each mall have to hire?  Even the TSA misses firearms , grenades and even explosives on a frequent basis. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

This is a very negative take on things; scanners are used at the entrances to malls all over the world. They are far from perfect as you point out, and they cost money, but we are talking about trying to save the lives of innocent members of the public.

Are there any better solutions out there that you know of, rather than doing nothing at all  ?

The problem, even if the scanner show something is there. nobody stop you and look.. The scanners are there but nobody really looks on it. It's even simple to walk around the scanners. And this works in every mall. If you want bring anything inside a mall.. this is a very easy task.

But what I do not understand is the complain about how long it took. They need long to clear up the whole shopping center after they cached the shooter. But I think before you can go inside shopping mall and release all the customers and staff waiting inside the stores. you have to make sure there is no danger anymore.

What I saw and heard the security this time have done in general a great job... closed the store, and told all the customer and staff to go inside store in the back-part. This is a much better thing, than let run out all customers so they can run directly into the shooter.

• Confused 1

30 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

This is a very negative take on things; scanners are used at the entrances to malls all over the world. They are far from perfect as you point out, and they cost money, but we are talking about trying to save the lives of innocent members of the public.

Are there any better solutions out there that you know of, rather than doing nothing at all  ?

I did not say “do nothing at all”.  I said the cost  would be a major impediment for any company to consider.  No security screening system is 100-%.  

• Confused 1

Special Ops team is not located in city center. Given how bad traffic is during rush hour, they wouldn’t have made it to the scene fast unless by helicopter.

It’s up to police to make the arrests, which is what happen in this cases police had to search floor by floor. And they were on the scene within 15 minutes. Keeping people safe and evacuating is just as important.

Rescue takes time, and yes it feels like forever if you are in the middle of the incident.

From what I read online, Paragon security and many staff were well prepared for the scenario. They were trained to close doors and keep visitors safe in the event of a situation like this.

Since Royal Thai Police headquarters is nearby, you would imagine they would / should a tactical unit stationed there at all times. 

• Confused 1

my questions:

does the security control room with  CCTV monitors properly manned?

is the a direct line from the control room to Police, fireman, ambulances, available.?

is there an emergency situation policy available and known by all security guards?

how often the security guards are trained to deal with various situations?