New Toyota Yaris Cross question?

SBACM

Thinking about purchasing and ordering as we retire next year, since I am not in country wondering if any tall people out there have sat in one and can share their thoughts, I am 188cm tall? I think they are about 4 months out today to order. 

It's a 'Corolla' Cross, which I didn't realize till now.  Yaris would definitely be out of the question.  And Corolla, also I'd doubt would be comfy, as most nicer taxi in Krung Thep are Corollas and personally think they're crap.

If same interior specs, I'd give the Cross a pass.  They really do look nice on the highway though, as I see a lot when out and about.   Does explain why they are inexpensive, since based on Corolla platform.

Might want to take a peek at the MG ZS ICE or EV version, as more than enough headroom.  Not sure about legroom though, as I'm 175cm, and plenty for me.  Owned/own both, and happy with both, having EV (1 yr) now after 2 yrs owning the ICE version.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, LosLobo said:

The new 2024 Yaris Cross released in Thailand is based on the DNGA platform – also known as the Daihatsu New Global Architecture.

Looks like it will only be released in Asia and is bigger than the one released on European markets some years ago.

Thanks , Yes Thailand is DNGA platform Outside of Asia is TNGA platform 

size differences are

4310mm DNGA vs 4192mm TNGA length
1770mm DNGA vs 1765mm TNGA wide
1615mm DNGA vs 1595mm TNGA height

https://www.autoindustriya.com/features/toyota-yaris-cross-spec-check-dnga-vs-tnga.html

UK Review here

https://www.drivingelectric.com/toyota/yaris/yaris-cross/practicality#:~:text

• Like 1

On 10/9/2023 at 9:14 AM, KhunLA said:

It's a 'Corolla' Cross, which I didn't realize till now.  Yaris would definitely be out of the question.  And Corolla, also I'd doubt would be comfy, as most nicer taxi in Krung Thep are Corollas and personally think they're crap.

If same interior specs, I'd give the Cross a pass.  They really do look nice on the highway though, as I see a lot when out and about.   Does explain why they are inexpensive, since based on Corolla platform.

Might want to take a peek at the MG ZS ICE or EV version, as more than enough headroom.  Not sure about legroom though, as I'm 175cm, and plenty for me.  Owned/own both, and happy with both, having EV (1 yr) now after 2 yrs owning the ICE version.

Buy Chinese for What , has anybody been in one the road noise is crap and it’s Chinese 

14 hours ago, vinny41 said:

New year, new honour for the Toyota Yaris Cross

The Toyota Yaris Cross has maintained its award-winning reputation into 2023, being named Small Car of the Year in the Company Car and Van Awards.

This latest success confirms the compact SUV’s all-round appeal as a spacious, stylish and highly efficient electrified model. Since its launch in summer 2021, it has received numerous accolades, including the World Urban Car of the Year title and best small crossover in the UK Car of the Year

https://media.toyota.co.uk/new-year-new-honour-for-the-toyota-yaris-cross/

I am 185cm and used to drive a Yaris Verso no problem 

The MG fanboys on this forum will point you in the direction of MG

problem is they never post and failings or negative points so you just get the sales spiel as you get in a showroom

Yaris cross has been around In Europe for 2-3 years now

Good ground clearance at 210mm 

https://www.headlightmag.com/2023-10-05-official-price-toyota-yaris-cross/

Road noise is outrageous, why so many China Supporters on here mostly English Blokes fanboys 

10 minutes ago, Irish star said:

Road noise is outrageous, why so many China Supporters on here mostly English Blokes fanboys 

The Asian version of the Yaris cross is manufactured in Indonesia, The European version is  manufactured in Japan and France

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I can't imagine the 'Cross' being much better, if at all.  Had a Vios (basically a Varis) and road noise was the worse of any car I've had.  Pretty sad since a new vehicle at the time.  Mazda 2 a bit better.

Doubt you've been in either MG that I suggest the OP to 'peek' at.  As pretty sure, OP is not fitting in either Cross comfortably.

The ZS, probably cheaper than both Cross's is quite comfy & quite enough.  Never been in the MG5, but at the price point, wouldn't expect any miracles, but also, nothing like the Varis, hopefully.

Just peaked, the Varis Cross starts at the highest price ZS (ICE), 800k ish and Corolla version @ 1M

NO THANKS

Just another CH hater ... have a nice day.

You do know that Toyota doesn't  produced any vehicle called the Varis

Edited by vinny41
typo
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Datsun 1200 said:

I bought a new Toyota Cross Hybrid 2023 model from the dealer in Phuket Town about 6 months ago and have been very happy with it. I don't know how, but the turning circle for a medium size SUV is amazing. They mention that in many reviews. 

I had a Ford Escape 2014 model and it had many faults, especially as it got old (the Ford dealer is worst I have ever dealt with, some things they could not fix?), so far there is nothing I don't like about the Cross https://www.toyota.co.th/model/corollacross

It seems to have plenty of headroom and I am 180cm

IH

Ha, ha, I owns that Ford escape also long time ago and I have to agree with you about the car but also with the worst  dealerS, in Phetchaburi as wel in Huahin.

When I think back on that....

Edited by Tubulat
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ujayujay said:

A MG owner calls Toyota Corolla crap:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

Yes, I've ridden in enough of them, (made in TH) and would never own.  That goes for most of the Japanese badged cars made in TH.  

Drivetrains were fine, as everyone has the 1.5L down to a science, but the ride (Vios & Mazda) leaves a bit to be desired.

For the price and lack of performance, just take a peek at the EVs on offer before spending your hard earned THB.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

On 10/9/2023 at 4:40 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs and old... so the yaris was not for me... I prefer to step out of a car/suv rather than climb out.

???????? Gee, I'm only 172 cm (aka 5' 7-3/4"), 231 lbs and just 70 years old, but I've thought the same since I was 55 and only 192 lbs.  Any vehicle that I would own needs to be at least 7.8" off the ground. The Yaris Cross is only 6.7" (170mm). That makes a big difference on the knee strain.

4 hours ago, vinny41 said:

The Asian version of the Yaris cross is manufactured in Indonesia, The European version is  manufactured in Japan and France

Seems, the Thailand version may be 'produced' at Chachoengsao Thailand.

Though, there are conflicting reports that say that early batches were fully imported CBU and later ones were imported CKD from Indonesia and assembled here.

'The AC200 series Yaris Cross was launched in Thailand on 5 October 2023. Produced at the Gateway plant in Chachoengsao, it is offered in three grades: Smart, Premium and Premium Luxury, it is only offered with a 1.5-litre 2NR-VEX hybrid powertrain. Toyota Safety Sense is standard for the Premium and Luxury grades.[58]'.

Toyota Yaris Cross - Wikipedia

Edited by LosLobo
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

???????? Gee, I'm only 172 cm (aka 5' 7-3/4"), 231 lbs and just 70 years old, but I've thought the same since I was 55 and only 192 lbs.  Any vehicle that I would own needs to be at least 7.8" off the ground. The Yaris Cross is only 6.7" (170mm). That makes a big difference on the knee strain.

I have to say, after watching the video and seeing the interior of the car, it's a nice package. Maybe 'climbing' out wouldn't be so bad. Good luck with your purchase. Driving on Thailand's roads brings about a new awareness and appreciation of the traffic police in the UK and USA.  (Motorcycles can be more closely associated with swarming flies. They come out and around from everywhere. And the solid, do not pass, line on the highway means nothing to many drivers, especially hotshot delivery drivers).

Good luck. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Seems the DNGA version here has a 210mm ground clearance.

I thought all the world metricated except for the third world countries of Myanmar and Liberia and of course the US.

'The AC200 series Yaris Cross has ground clearance is rated at 210 mm (8.3 in).[39]'

Toyota Yaris Cross - Wikipedia

• Thumbs Up 1

Off topic, I know but does anybody know when the new BYD Seal suv will arrive in Thailand?  I know the sedan model is being introduced here now.  Gorgeous styling, from the videos my partner and I have seen.  We like the Atto 3 but want something a little bigger.  Thanks!

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

Off topic, I know but does anybody know when the new BYD Seal suv will arrive in Thailand?  I know the sedan model is being introduced here now.  Gorgeous styling, from the videos my partner and I have seen.  We like the Atto 3 but want something a little bigger.  Thanks!

Quite the discussion about on the "EV in TH" thread, probably better info there.

Already available, I believe:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1257405-electric-vehicles-in-thailand/page/116/