Expats seeking a new life face challenges with stricter banking and taxation rules being pushed

webfact

24 minutes ago, mania said:

That would be a tough one...I wonder how you prove it is savings?

I think it should be on the other foot...meaning they prove its not. If I say I'm retired & my income is SS & savings & they think otherwise then it is they who need to prove that

I mean how do I prove this money of savings? I can of course prove my SS is X amount a month with the US SS verification letter but savings? I have no idea

It's always on the peasants to do their work for them. I'm not a fan of the IRD.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SuperSaiyan said:

The same way (stupid) people say Covid (flu) crashed the economies - it did not, the reaction to it crashed it. Or now they (the stupid people) say its the Ukraine war responsible for Germany going into a massive recession or increasing massive inflation, no, it's not the war, the reaction to it. They want to establish the same narrative for climate change (hoax, no emergency) so that people think stuff magically happens because of climate change and not because of the changes the gov's are doing.

Money grab off the low hanging fruit and no impact on local votes - "rich farangs not us"

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Perhaps it comes down to proof. If you can prove the money comes from savings then not taxed in LOS. If can't prove it then taxed.

Most, if not all, savings must have originated as some kind of income, taxable or not (this will vary according to what situation/country you are in): Salary, interest, dividends, capital gains, etc. Or is it only a matter of time: Does income turn to savings after one or more year? Like how Thailand until now seem to have treated transfers from abroad?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I've been saying for some time that it's only going to get worse, and not only in Thailand for farangs. Everything is getting worse, not better, IMO.

Government agendas and leading firms, including banks, are increasingly dominated by one world government bodies such as the United Nations and intergovernmental panels.

Fixed it for you.

I have been saying it too. Not to sound like some mega prophet, but any idiot could see it 

The next thing on the agenda will be a complete cutoff of any government payouts if you are not a resident for tax purposes in your country. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Wonder how they’ll pull this off without forcing banks to disclose all incoming int’l money transfers? I will have to ask my bank. Seems like it might be hard to universally enforce this.

From what the UK pensions office is saying..... You are quite safe having your state pension transferred into a Thai bank from the UK or their overseas banking agency. It is any other personal pensions such as Company, private, disability pensions that can be taxed at 25%. Thailand has the right to tax state pensions (which you can claim back) But as far as they know State pension are not on the agenda, as yet!

2 hours ago, Walker88 said:

I'm a "whatsoever". How about you?

Just stayed because of your wife, eh? Didn't come for the temples?

You were off to a good start with your mention of the ubiquitous bogeyman George Soros, and THE WORLD ELITE, but you had me hoping for chemtrails, Bilderbergers, Bohemian Grove and the rogue planet Nibiru.

Too late to edit?

... not to forget the Trilateral Commission.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newbee2022 said:

Thank you for the list. I wonder if I can have an accomodation in the Vatican? Probably I've to show special qualification?????

I was thinking Vatican too, I hear they have safe balconies.

But can get a bit overcrowded on public holidays.

Edited by brianthainess
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Lopburikid said:

From what the UK pensions office is saying..... You are quite safe having your state pension transferred into a Thai bank from the UK or their overseas banking agency. It is any other personal pensions such as Company, private, disability pensions that can be taxed at 25%. Thailand has the right to tax state pensions (which you can claim back) But as far as they know State pension are not on the agenda, as yet!

The way I understand it, I paid tax on my earnings, and my national insurance was taken out of my Net earnings, so tax already paid. :unsure:

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

Thailand is moving toward greater tax compliance from the hundreds of thousands of expats living in the kingdom. At the same time, banking facilities at home are being challenged. They are likely to be more expensive as the world acclaims Environmental, Social and Governance values driven by the United Nations 2015 Sustainable Development Goals.

In Thailand, UK customers of Barclays Bank have been scrambling to make new arrangements before mid-November 2023. From January 1st, there will be the beginning of a new era for taxation in Thailand on income from foreign countries because of a change in a 38-year-old interpretation of the Thai Revenue Code. It also comes with unique difficulties for pensioners seeking to finalise pensions in the UK and other European countries while resident abroad. The changes impact American expats less, with the Social Security Administration paying benefits directly to Thai bank accounts. In contrast, the American income tax system is based on a global earnings principle. Nonetheless, all expats are impacted by corporate moves to pursue ESG-friendly policies to further the 2015 UN Sustainable Development Goals, including climate action.

Government agendas and leading firms, including banks, are increasingly dominated by environmental, social, and governance values pushed by bodies such as the United Nations and intergovernmental panels. The trend especially includes the financial industry. This growing impetus has begun to impact Western expats living in Thailand, challenging their lifestyle with the curtailment of trusted bank facilities in their home countries. There is also an increased push towards the global taxation principle targeting those who have sought a better lifestyle abroad and, in many cases, more personal freedom.

UK expats in Thailand are increasingly anxious about their financial arrangements. The situation has come about due to moves by leading UK banks to restrict services to overseas residents and a new push by the Revenue Department in Thailand to widen its tax base, targeting tax residents in the kingdom deriving income from abroad.

by Joseph O' Connor

Full story: Thai Examiner.com 2023-10-12

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

You live and work here, pay tax. If you don't like it move on, goodbye.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I can't see how this affects me. My pension is paid into an Australian financial institution. I transfer funds periodically to Thailand via WISE.

Unless the Thai government is going to start taxing ALL transfers from foreign countries into Thailand, which would be an administrative nightmare.

It won't be an admin. nightmare for the Thai government, They'll make the banks do it...

6 hours ago, SuperSaiyan said:

Philippines is the way to go. It's 20 years behind in time, like it or hate it. No taxes on world income, no visa hassles and by that I mean absolutely ZERO. More young marriage type girls available and they speak English and not just "I go boom boom".

But the food sucks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BE88 said:

Exactly and that's why we have time from January 1, 2024 up to the following 178 days to decide where to go for an extended holiday in another country, calculation to be made in accordance with the date of visa extension which could be different but always less than 180 days per year..

Perhaps by deciding to discover the inconveniences and advantages of other countries.

Yes, I was also thinking on those lines

• Thumbs Up 1