Trump-backed Jim Jordan chosen as Speaker nominee

Social Media

image.png

Conservative firebrand Jim Jordan has been chosen as Republican nominee to become Speaker of the House.

The Ohio congressman won 124 votes from party members in the secret ballot held on Friday afternoon, with 81 against.

But Mr Jordan, who has the backing of former President Donald Trump, is already facing mounting opposition from the ranks of his own party.

The week ends with Republicans no closer to successfully installing a Speaker amid continued infighting.

While Mr Jordan emerged victorious from Friday's secret ballot against Georgia lawmaker Austin Scott, he faces mounting criticism from many House Republicans.

Immediately following the vote, Republican representatives held a second motion to determine whether members would support Mr Jordan in a floor vote, before breaking up for the weekend.

The second vote saw 55 members vote "no" on Mr Jordan. As things stand, Mr Jordan has no clear path to the Speaker's office, leaving House Republicans leaderless and wracked by uncertainty.

Supporters of Steve Scalise - who was nominated as the party's candidate for Speaker on Wednesday before withdrawing - have vowed to oppose Mr Jordan at all costs.

And Mr Jordan only narrowly expanded the fragile margin Mr Scalise earned on Wednesday of 113 votes to 99. Whether he has enough support to secure an overall majority in the chamber is therefore unclear.

Among those still opposed to Mr Jordan was Florida's Mario Díaz-Balart, who told reporters that Mr Jordan faces a "very, very big hurdle" to become Speaker.

"I don't think he is the one," Mr Díaz-Balart said. "Ultimately, we're going to have to have someone who can truly unify us."

FULL STORY

BBC-LOGO.png

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Morch said:

I see your Jim Jordan, and raise you Marjorie Taylor Greene.

Maybe we need to start a rumor that her name is "Greene" because she comes from a family of environmentalist commie jihadis. 

Going on the idea that there will emerge a new deloused GOP free of MAGA, eventually, now is the time for some sort of social wiz to emerge and start sorting things out.  If and when they finally get to locking people up (hey Jimbo, no need for shirt sleeves in a prison jumpsuit) they can do their purge and maybe get back to reality (well, sort of) in 2032.

Edited by bendejo
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

And this guy, who know nothing about nothing, wants to be speaker of the House. Only in America.

Ever find yourself in a situation where you deliberately ignore something because you just don't want to face it?  This is the way I feel about how easy it is to get elected to US Congress.  The shirt storm that began in 2015 has forced me to see it for what it is.  The ease with which that tenpin Santos got elected is a great example.  There is a US political pundit who previously worked as an aid to a House speaker who had this to say about Jordan when he was elected, I guess he had a source: Jordan was brought in for express purpose of confronting a certain Dem member.  He said it was inspired by something a basketball team did (I don't know sports) ten or so years ago, assigning one player with express job of always being on a certain opponents tail.  The guy I'm taking about is Chris Matthews.  I did some searching in regard to this but ran out of patience. 

The only move Jordan has is: "Did the blah blah blah (insert 30 seconds of mile-a-minute babble here), yes or no?" 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

From this overwelming MAGA posters replies, you know Gym has a sure thing going on.

I’m hoping they vote on it Monday then the dems put up Jeffery’s and just a few republicans support Jeffery’s lol could you imagine a dem speaker with a Republican majority lol I still bet more would get done!

1 minute ago, Tug said:

I’m hoping they vote on it Monday then the dems put up Jeffery’s and just a few republicans support Jeffery’s lol could you imagine a dem speaker with a Republican majority lol I still bet more would get done!

None of the Republicans can vote for a democrat. It would be political suicide. So unless 4-5 moderate republicans plan on retiring this is not going to happen.

14 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I’m thinking there can be no revision/ rebirth of a Republican Party unti a stake is driven through the heart of the current embodiment … submitting to the Tumpets.

In  Star Wars-esque terms, the New Republican Party will contain elements of the defeated Federation that need to be culled. 

There will probably be a fight for the brand name.

DT should call his Orange Party. 

4 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Hakeem Jeffries has just laid it out.

Gym Jordan 16 years in Congress and not a single bill to his name.

Jeffries nails the problem the GOP are struggling with, it’s one of their own making:

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4255999-jeffries-jordan-democrats-wont-support-house-speaker/amp/

All R's can do is whine and blame.

• Thumbs Up 1