Thailand Ruined

Celsius

Celcius ...... i may have missed it :    did you say where you are going ?  

and, btw ... where are you from ?

just curious.   I left the US more than 30 years ago .   I can't imagine anywhere that is  "better"  than it was . 

The goods and bads regarding Thailand have been gone over a hundred times on this forum by the scholarly participants . 

I'm still doing ok here.    but , things have changed , no doubt about it .  The ladies don't even bother calling me hansum man anymore ! 

18 minutes ago, bignok said:

Whats your fav place in Vietnam?

Not one place: I very much enjoy, equally, being in:

-Hanoi

-Halong Bay

-Ho Chi Minh City

All have their own 'flavor' all have friendly helpful people, great food, not that difficult to find English speakers.

Hanoi has it's old quarter (lots of old different culture / architecture / food)  which is delightful, friendly and great food. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It's not like we notice anything of most of you fake postivo's either, you are usually hiding at home anyway.

And yet my Gmap timeline says I'm not hiding at home, though a great place to hide; custom build house designed by & built for us, in lovely environment & living area.  Independent of the grid, and even petrol stations ???? Water if we installed more holding tanks ????  

Surf 2 ish kms away, can walk there. and nice rolling hills, a few kms further the other direction.

And my timeline is missing the first 14 yrs of traveling around:

image.png.b47acd9aa9512629112ecf2a034bcee7.png

Edited by KhunLA

2 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

And yet my Gmap timeline says I'm not hiding at home, though a great place to hide; custom build house designed by & for us, in lovely environment & living area.

And my timeline is missing the first 14 yrs of traveling around:

image.png.b47acd9aa9512629112ecf2a034bcee7.png

Ok you win. I got the silver.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Ok you win. I got the silver.

There's a lot missing, that I did when first got here.   All along the far E, N, W borders.  Still haven't made it down to far South/Gulf side.  There, and always change my mind.   Really isn't that much further than bottom of Phatthalung province.  Just a few 100 kms to most Southern point.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

There's a lot missing, that I did when first got here.   All along the far E, N, W borders.  Still haven't made it down to far South/Gulf side.  There, and always change my mind.   Really isn't that much further than bottom of Phatthalung province.  Just a few 100 kms to most Southern point.

Bueng Kan? 3 whale rock? Nice place.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Prubangboy said:

Tell me more about the retirement options -is it a bring your own boat affair?

I have no idea about the retirement visa or any other visa options for Vietnam. Always here on 30 day visa granted to visiting uni lecturers, always had about 5 to 7 days extra days after uni course finished.

From my knowledge same visa (and other Visas) also available to other visitors. Never extended the visa but I understand it's possible, needs checking.

Halong Bay is a very pleasant 'mixed bag'. Many visitors get there by using an overnight boat service from Hanoi. On arrival you can stay on a boat, bring your own or stay in one of many 2, 3, 4 star hotels. All with good rooms, service, clean etc.

I'm not aware of any 5 star hotels, haven't checked.

• Like 1

Why does it always seem to involve so much drama when folks leave?

I've lived (and I don't mean visited) in 6 countries in my life, all were great until they weren't.

Some move because of work, others just tire of it

Thailand comes somewhere in the middle. 

Still like the place, we still have a house there, but I was bored with it and MrsG wanted to follow our son to the US.

You are allowed to still like a place but not want to live there 100% of the time, we snowbird back to Thailand.

In many respects only being in Thailand a couple of months of the year makes me enjoy it like I did when I first visited.

So my only advise would be, if things are beginning to irritate you, cut the cord, go home, reset and then re-access how you feel about Thailand.

You might find it's a great vacation, but maybe not a place to live

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, rumak said:

Celcius ...... i may have missed it :    did you say where you are going ?  

and, btw ... where are you from ?

just curious.   I left the US more than 30 years ago .   I can't imagine anywhere that is  "better"  than it was . 

The goods and bads regarding Thailand have been gone over a hundred times on this forum by the scholarly participants . 

I'm still doing ok here.    but , things have changed , no doubt about it .  The ladies don't even bother calling me hansum man anymore ! 

No, he conspicuously has not said where he's going, so the post is rather meaningless, or just a wind-up which is what I suspect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

You might find it's a great vacation, but maybe not a place to live

Find it a better place to live, than holiday, as doubt I would ever come here, strictly for holiday.  Since living here, wouldn't recommend it as a holiday destination.

That said, I haven't been to the places I did love, as a holiday destination in over 23 years, before TH.  They may all be overpriced crap now, and I wouldn't like them.  Who know ?  Who cares ? ????

Living in the here & now, and quite liking it.

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Growing disrespect for older people is symptomatic of fascist attempts to undermine respect and trust in all societal institutions. Fascists attempt to undermine confidence in institutions and break down the social fabric (by demonizing the "other") with the goal of presenting themselves as the only solution to the very problem that they have largely created.

This is why you see these constant attacks on the FBI, the courts, the congress, election integrity, medical expertise (Covid), scientific community (climate change), anti-wokeism, meddling in school curriculums, and it's the main driver behind anti-immigrant, anti-minority, anti-reproductive rights, anti-LBGQT rights sentiments. Ageism as a form of societal purification is a natural progression of this ideology, which if you study what happened in Germany in the 1930's, is exactly what happened there. You really need to raise your consciousness in this regard.

What a load of horse-s**t.  The elderly who run those institutions are the ones who have destroyed public trust in them. They're like a cancer that takes hold and over time builds up their power base and consumes the whole institution. The covid debacle is a shining example. Lie after lie, coercion and "othering" comparable to the Nazi era that you mentioned.  The uptake of the booster shots is 17 percent, guess who those fools are. Yep, the elderly, who believe what people like you and the ones on TV tell them. Sitting in front of the TV, shoving pills down their gobs and defecating on the choices young people make in their lives. 

As for the leftist rant.....whatever.  A deep recession is coming and those pinko issues get swept aside overnight when people face real problems instead of micro aggressions. That crowd will vaporize the minute the government tit is ripped away from their suckling mouths. 

As for the OP, I fully agree. There are so many terrified, angry old men on this forum that it boggles the mind.  They spew hate for everyone who doesn't think and behave exactly like them, and constantly cry out for those people to be deported and barred from entering the country.  One would think that old people would be more at peace and able to see other people's points of view, but that's not how it works with many of the old expats on this board.

IMG_20230912_014701_120.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Celsius said:

To me this animosity towards younger generation of travelers was really stupid...

It was and still is very stupid but don't worry: young travelers don't give a rat's ass. They have many many other options in the region. Like Vietnam which is cheaper, super friendly, not morally bankrupted and offers unlimited 45 days exemptions as well as unlimited 3 months tourist visas. I've been all over the place for the last year and a half. Meant many backpackers in Laos, Malaysia, Vietnam... They are very happy, women like it much better when woes ain't around. It's all fine and dandy. As for Thailand, the arrogance will pass as they realize that tough competition is underway in the tourist industry.

Edited by Bunny Silverhand
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bobthegimp said:

What a load of horse-s**t.  The elderly who run those institutions are the ones who have destroyed public trust in them. They're like a cancer that takes hold and over time builds up their power base and consumes the whole institution. The covid debacle is a shining example. Lie after lie, coercion and "othering" comparable to the Nazi era that you mentioned.  The uptake of the booster shots is 17 percent, guess who those fools are. Yep, the elderly, who believe what people like you and the ones on TV tell them. Sitting in front of the TV, shoving pills down their gobs and defecating on the choices young people make in their lives. 

As for the leftist rant.....whatever.  A deep recession is coming and those pinko issues get swept aside overnight when people face real problems instead of micro aggressions. That crowd will vaporize the minute the government tit is ripped away from their suckling mouths. 

As for the OP, I fully agree. There are so many terrified, angry old men on this forum that it boggles the mind.  They spew hate for everyone who doesn't think and behave exactly like them, and constantly cry out for those people to be deported and barred from entering the country.  One would think that old people would be more at peace and able to see other people's points of view, but that's not how it works with many of the old expats on this board.

IMG_20230912_014701_120.jpg

l might as well give you a like..... before your post is deleted   5555555

really, gecko must have gotten too many boosters.   I remember when he had a sense of humor  ( quite a while ago )

Edited by rumak

15 minutes ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

It was and still is very stupid but don't worry: young travelers don't give a rat's ass. They have many many other options in the region. Like Vietnam which is cheaper, super friendly, not morally bankrupted and offers unlimited 45 days exemptions as well as unlimited 3 months tourist visas. I've been all over the place for the last year and a half. Meant many backpackers in Laos, Malaysia, Vietnam... They are very happy, women like it much better when woes ain't around. It's all fine and dandy. As for Thailand, the arrogance will pass as they realize that tough competition is underway in the tourist industry.

Malay is muslim. Laos has like 1 decent town. Vietnam requires visas upfront for some.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, bignok said:

Malay is muslim. Laos has like 1 decent town. Vietnam requires visas upfront for some.

Obviously you haven't been in any of those countries recently.

Malaysia being muslim is completely irrelevant. Many young westerners in Penang, in the Cameron highlands and down in KL. Beautiful nature, great food and amazing mix of cultures. I was there last year during a big indian festival. Absolutely amazing. Hindous have the most amazing religious events seriously.

Laos is the best place I've been for nature. Vang Vieng and its mountains are incredible. Many young people there too, especially western girls who seem to have a thing for Laos for some reason.

Vietnam is essentially free to access for most - if not all - westerners for 45 days. Great country, great food, beautiful beaches and mountains (the Da Nang area is a unique mix of both). Many young westerners here too. No wonder: everything is cheap even fancy hotels.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Agreed, as a boomer, the young hate me for being boring, lecturing, and rightfully hating Rap.

Fascism? It never gets that intellectual.

I think destroying the environment, creating a feudalistic oligarchic state, and refusing to cede power no matter how old they get has something to do with it.

And it's not just rap. Taylor Swift, BTS, Blackpink Lisa. Does anybody really consider this music?

• Confused 1