Felicia, 25, in a coma after accident on Samui - family struggling to bring her home

webfact

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

No mention of a crash helmet, no mention if she had a motorbike licence (ie experienced rider), medical insurance expired etc etc.  I wish her well, but yet again (sigh), we have a situation which probably didn't need to happen...

Totally agree.. you didn't mention the alcohol content in her system?  (apologies of she was bone dry sober).. but as you say, if she had the proper insurance, she wouldn't be in this mess.

0thb coming from me to help in any GoFundMe etc! 

Really is just plain STUPID how people do not have insurance especially in Asia....  She should be the front for a campaign alerting people of the fact that it is actually SMART to always be covered with the appropriate insurance whilst in Asia.

I used to ask young holidayers to wear helmets when riding their rental bikes and scooters.
All I got to hear was: Fck off old man. That's not your business at all.
So?
Some parents should really see their kiddies in party mode. For example when in Pai.

Edited by 0815
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

I don't get it. Why are they appealing to these different NGOs to get her back? They should be contacting the Swedish Embassy. They can help repatriate her better than anyone else. The article doesn't mention them contacting the Embassy. Helping Swedes there is part of its mission.

• Haha 2

Very sad ! For family.

When your time is up it's up , she was dealt the wrong cards .

Make the most of everyday! 

Ride a motorcycle

License

Insurance

Crash hat 

Decent foot wear

Gloves 

Take it easy no rushing around.

• Like 2

I'd like to donate, but only if she was wearing a helmet and had insurance. I just re-read the OP and she had no insurance. What is with these folk that think if you have an accident and haven't any insurance other people should pay to being you home? 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, rgrdns said:

It astonished me again the hospital costs here (foreigners), SEK 3.29 to 1 BHT....164,500 p/day?? 

What do you think ICU care would cost in your own country?

It is expensive if you have no insurance.

Can anyone here shed light on how hard it was raining?

Got to hink that they were driving in conditions they were not ready for although we really do not know a lot of info is missing.   

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kingstonkid said:

What do you think ICU care would cost in your own country?

It is expensive if you have no insurance.

Can anyone here shed light on how hard it was raining?

Got to hink that they were driving in conditions they were not ready for although we really do not know a lot of info is missing.   

Like a cow pissing on a flat rock in June...

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

No mention of a crash helmet, no mention if she had a motorbike licence (ie experienced rider), medical insurance expired etc etc.  I wish her well, but yet again (sigh), we have a situation which probably didn't need to happen...

"The person who drove Felicia has been questioned by the police and released without a report being drawn up." The article is not written (translated?) very clearly. At first it seems like she was driving, then it states she had a driver??

Also, the article said she was struck in the head by another moped - causing her head trauma. So, perhaps she really was not in control in the events that unfolded. Though the article gives no background on why she allowed her insurance to lapse.

5 hours ago, KannikaP said:

And how much is SEK 750,000?

The flight alone costs almost SEK 750,000 (approx. 2.5 Mil THB) and for each day Felicia receives around-the-clock intensive care approximately SEK 50,000 (approx 165,000 THB per day).

Travel insurance should probably be required to cover all circumstances, leave it up to the courts in their home countries to assign liability (i.e. Insurance company, insured) when the insured gets back in-country. They should also make insurance mandatory before even getting on an airplane. Yeah, rates will probably go up, but having more people required to carry it, might actually bring the costs more inline with current ones. The rates could also be adjusted, denied, and based on current risks (driving records, credit rating, criminal history, etc.).

4 hours ago, retarius said:

Another one, this time a pretty girl. I suppose the old GoFundMe page will be set up and running soon. Before I donate, I'd like to know whether she was wearing a helmet and properly insured.

The article tells you that her Insurance has recently expired.  Very unfortunate, but also very negilent considering the accident rate in Thailand, which she may well have been aware of.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robertson468 said:

The article tells you that her Insurance has recently expired.  Very unfortunate, but also very negilent considering the accident rate in Thailand, which she may well have been aware of.

In these circumstances I think the amount should be billed back to the foreign country, let them handle who pays after they repatriate her. Maybe then more governments will take action on their citizens welfare, home or abroad.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Reading the article, although it's badly written and not very clear, I think she was a passenger on the moped. Helmet is not mentioned at all.

I'm not sure whether the 'person who drove Felicia', which I assume you're referring to, is the driver of her scooter or the person who DROVE INTO her.

How on Earth did that gobbledygook ever get past a second pair of eyes?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, stoner said:

what does it mean to get skidded ? was she wearing a helmet at the time ? 

Seems unlikely, another tourist in paradise who leaves the common sense at home.

Edited by hotchilli