Felicia, 25, in a coma after accident on Samui - family struggling to bring her home

webfact

23 hours ago, bignok said:

Id say a good 80 to 90% that rent scooters have no motorbike licence

That would be a gross exaggeration. Many people with a UK car licence will also have a 2/3 wheel licence for some categories.

Better to stick to facts than speculation.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, sandyf said:

That would be a gross exaggeration. Many people with a UK car licence will also have a 2/3 wheel licence for some categories.

Better to stick to facts than speculation.

Just talking to backpackers. Maybe its 60% no licence. 

2 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Why?  Theres always that one who thinks that everything should be regulated to protect yourself from yourself... what ever happened to self responsibility.  Oh wait... participation trophies from momma.

Exactly! What would happen in practice is similar to gunshops. Two prices; lower one for those with valid documentation. Higher for those without. Product (or moto rental) still continues to be available.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, bignok said:

Just talking to backpackers. Maybe its 60% no licence. 

A Thai scooter licence is not a measure of proficiency. My licence requirements apparently were met with a 200 baht medical certificate, and the ability to identify traffic light colors. No practical test, no safety video. It was a joke.

OTOH, the practical and written tests in Australia are quite exacting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Nothing gets the boomers on here more excited than a story of a tourist having a crash in Thailand

Maybe fearful too. Some of us hold no licence or insurance either. In addition we ride moto's with no registration plate and smooth tyre treads. Tyre pressures never checked. Nobody in my Thai family can remember when oil was last changed or anything checked over on our five machines. They say; 'Thai people not worry'.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Because I think the people participating in the behaviors should pay for the results of the behavior. 

Right now, if some bone-head rents a motorcycle and runs me down on the sidewalk, I would be liable for my medical bills, and my taxes will ultimately pay for bone-head's medical bills. 

The accident that runs you down is not the fault of the shop that rented the motorcycle... it is entirely the fault of the person driving said motorcycle... hence personal responsibility should be the rule... if you hit someone with your car would it be the cars fault... or the seller of the car to you... or the manufacturer of the car... NO... it would be your fault.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

The accident that runs you down is not the fault of the shop that rented the motorcycle... it is entirely the fault of the person driving said motorcycle... hence personal responsibility should be the rule... if you hit someone with your car would it be the cars fault... or the seller of the car to you... or the manufacturer of the car... NO... it would be your fault.

Agreed, the fault is definitely that of the bone-head who runs down the predestrian on the pavement. The problem is that the bone-head has no money or insurance. The unfortunate victim has to pay his own hospital bills. If the victim has no health cover, personal accident insurance or travel insurance (if applicable) and his injuries are severe he has a big problem. Only two solutions I can think of; 1) Compulsory all-risk travel insurance, 2) Universal free healthcare provided by Government hospitals.

22 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

So you were making it up, that's what I thought.

Compelling everyone to pay for coverage of reckless behavior they have no intention of participating in, subsidizes the coverage for people that do participate in that kind of behavior. 

Health insurance be based the same way that car insurance is  however the challenge is not the insurance but the lack of brain cells that people use.  

Most of these people we read about it is not the insurance that did them in but the lack of grey cells functioning properly.

7 hours ago, retarius said:

Something weird here with the reporting. Essential details missing like helmet, who was driving, who goes on holiday with their boyfriend's uncle, what happened to the driver who was overtaking her and hit her in the back of the head? What does got skidded mean? Is it it just poor English meaning she skidded or did the overtaking motorcycle driver behind her hit her and make her skid. Was Felicia actually driving? It doesn't state explicitly that she was. Was the person who hit her from behind, her boyfriend or uncle? Where they at a fault? 

What did Adam Lindh and Nelly Kronstrand have to say after you contacted them with your concerns?

13 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Agreed, the fault is definitely that of the bone-head who runs down the predestrian on the pavement. The problem is that the bone-head has no money or insurance. The unfortunate victim has to pay his own hospital bills. If the victim has no health cover, personal accident insurance or travel insurance (if applicable) and his injuries are severe he has a big problem. Only two solutions I can think of; 1) Compulsory all-risk travel insurance, 2) Universal free healthcare provided by Government hospitals.

Or the potential victim should take the initiative to insure himself because he is aware that there are people out there that are boneheads and have very little regard for others... self awareness and responsibility

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Nothing gets the boomers on here more excited than a story of a tourist having a crash in Thailand 

You forgot about Starbucks and McDonald’s being the absolute worst coffee and burgers on the planet, with 7-11 having the absolute best.

Also no “free” plastic bags and of course stray dogs.

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Skipalongcassidy said:

Or the potential victim should take the initiative to insure himself because he is aware that there are people out there that are boneheads and have very little regard for others... self awareness and responsibility

Many people have the unshakeable belief that the person responsible will (somehow) be forced to pay, or, failing that, their treatment will be paid for out of public funds. But we're not in the U.K. A relative was on holiday in Germany, walking on the pavement, when a crazy taxi driver mowed her down. It took several years of metalwork reconstruction to restore her mobility. Fortunately, she had taken out good travel insurance.

On 10/17/2023 at 10:19 AM, Lacessit said:

A Thai scooter licence is not a measure of proficiency. My licence requirements apparently were met with a 200 baht medical certificate, and the ability to identify traffic light colors. No practical test, no safety video. It was a joke.

OTOH, the practical and written tests in Australia are quite exacting.

How long ago did you get your license?  It's much more involved now and you've got to ride through an obstacle course and pass a test.  Then you get out on the road and have a collision with a Grab driver who's riding 60km/hr in the wrong direction on a one way street whilst playing with his phone. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bobthegimp said:

How long ago did you get your license?  It's much more involved now and you've got to ride through an obstacle course and pass a test.  Then you get out on the road and have a collision with a Grab driver who's riding 60km/hr in the wrong direction on a one way street whilst playing with his phone. 

Isn't that test for those who don't already hold a current moto riding licence in their home Country?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bobthegimp said:

About ten years ago.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/17/2023 at 11:14 AM, Skipalongcassidy said:

I said nothing of fault, clearly the driver is at fault. My concern is with liability, it is completely different. 

If liability is with the company renting the vehicle (as it most always is in the west), the rental company is responsible for making the victim whole and collecting from their customer, the driver/renter. 

You can't get blood from a turnip. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, The Fugitive said:

Many people have the unshakeable belief that the person responsible will (somehow) be forced to pay, or, failing that, their treatment will be paid for out of public funds. But we're not in the U.K. A relative was on holiday in Germany, walking on the pavement, when a crazy taxi driver mowed her down. It took several years of metalwork reconstruction to restore her mobility. Fortunately, she had taken out good travel insurance.

In the US, people that have no money and no insurance do not have to pay. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

In the US, people that have no money and no insurance do not have to pay.

Good to know, thanks! 'Means tested' free hospital treatment for all has to be humane. In U.K. no means test would apply. As the 'accident' was Road Traffic the National Health Service would (attempt) to bill the responsible person as his motor insurance should be paying for the hospital treatment. We also have something known as the 'Criminal Injuries Compensation Board'. The police advised me to make a claim when three youths played football with my head. My hospital treatment was covered by the NHS and I received reasonable compensation for injuries as assessed by a Queen's Counsel Barrister.