Turning the Tide: How Bangkok is Reclaiming its Canals & Waterways

snoop1130

I remember fondly my early time in Bangkok back in '93.

Sundays were spent walking along the canals and river. Always meeting lovely locals in their local communities. Not a clue what they were saying but always offering water and food to the crazy 'farang' walking around in the heat.

I loved those times. People back in the office thought that I was crazy when I told them where I walked - 'too dangerous'.

No way! Great times.  ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I remember fondly my early time in Bangkok back in '93.

Sundays were spent walking along the canals and river. Always meeting lovely locals in their local communities. Not a clue what they were saying but always offering water and food to the crazy 'farang' walking around in the heat.

I loved those times. People back in the office thought that I was crazy when I told them where I walked - 'too dangerous'.

No way! Great times.  ????

did the same in 1968-70, the long gone good old days

• Like 1

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Throughout most of the 19th century, Bangkok was often referred to as the Venice of the East. Indeed, the klong has long been a key part of the Thai way of life, with waterways being used as roads, markets, swimming pools, and more.

Open sewers.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, flexomike said:

Dunno. Was recently strolling around the Giant Swing area which has some nice parks and clean, leafy streets. Spoke to some friendly locals and just a nice ambience all round. Good that they're beautifying the canals.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flexomike said:

Tell the truth - Grace hotel - Nana Hotel coffee shop - Gaysorn bars open in the day - Patpong at night - or if you had earplugs New Phetburi Road R&R area.  Airport road was single lane after Latphao intersection and there to Airport the only dual carriageway.  Taxi meters only used to hold drivers hat.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Love It 1