Thai education embraces UK programmes to boost English language proficiency

webfact

1 minute ago, mikebell said:

I agree.  I am an ex-English teacher & am horrified daily by the disappearing 'T' in the middle of words; li"le, bo"om, fi''ing; this is, of course, in spoken English in particular by sports presen'ers dumbing down to sound like one of the people.

It appears only HRH and Joanna Lumley speak well these days!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, blazes said:

Dublin is preferable to Belfast, where "now"  is pronounced "noy".  

A different thread perhaps, but which is the absolute worst English regional accent?

After Belfast, I'd vote for Liverpool and Yorkshire.  (Sorry if I've offended anyone here.)

I don't know whether you've offended anyone here but you've definitely advanced the cause of Irish reunification a notch or two. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, blazes said:

The worst mistake one tends to see on comment sites like this is:

"would of" when they mean "would've".  There is no such construction in English as "would of been proud  of...."

Of course to be absolutely correct, one could simply add two more letters and say "would have".

It's certainly annoying. But not as annoying as everybody's apparent need to add an apostrophe when referring to Thais in the plural.

It's odd. You rarely see the same same when people talk about foreigner's, or indeed, any other plural. It's one of the true mysteries of modern time's.

• Haha 1

Good move towards better international trade and security.

The English-speaking world comprises the 88 countries and territories where English is either an official, administrative, or cultural language. As of the 2000s, nearly 2 billion people globally speak English. Example, about 63% Malaysians speak English.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

I find that UK people have the lowest standard of proficiency in the English language in the English speaking world. I think they assume that they are number one. I have rarely met an English person that knows "lose is not loose" nor " have is not of"

"Cor blimey gov, wot's this geezer on about?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

57 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I agree.  I am an ex-English teacher & am horrified daily by the disappearing 'T' in the middle of words; li"le, bo"om, fi''ing; this is, of course, in spoken English in particular by sports presen'ers dumbing down to sound like one of the 

Edited by Victor Laszlo
Wrong reply

4 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

I find that UK people have the lowest standard of proficiency in the English language in the English speaking world. I think they assume that they are number one. I have rarely met an English person that knows "lose is not loose" nor " have is not of"

So apparently you are corresponding with these English persons?

I say this because I don't think these errors can be heard in speech, correct me if I am wrong.

If it is email, very few people proof their emails and it's possible what you are really seeing is carelessness in typing, not poor knowledge of English.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bobydog said:

So nice to see a productive report for a change, Philippines are way ahead of Thailand in this area so why focus on Britain when the Philippines are an ASEAN member.

Not 100% sure but think it is because Thailand's curriculum supports real English whereas the Philippines supports the American 'I am hopless at spelling' style English.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

I find the Americans, Australians, and Kiwis, the most hard to understand, with their awful pronunciations. I cringe at these words when spoken in their accent. Route, Vehicle, Pasta. 

Rout, Ve-hericle, Parsta,

Edited by brianthainess
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

I agree with a lot of what you say, but with the UK having so many young left-wing teachers and the country being the melting pot that it is, it's hardly surprising.

• Like 2

If the Bard wants to be pedantic he should at least get his facts straight. The 'who' and 'that' that you talk about are called relative pronouns and  according to Michael Swan, either is fine; eg. 'There's the man who/that sold me my bike.'

Secondly, having 'rewritten' the original he completely lost the sense of the statement, which is that 'would have' is wrongly written as 'would of'  because in its contracted form it sounds the same as 'would have'.

This is great fun, thanks! ps. Michael Swan is the absolute guru regarding English grammar and usage!  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, kenjinuk said:

I read this article and the full story and I still do not know how this will level the playing field or raise standards. Children in my village school cannot read English, their teachers do not speak English. There is a mountain to climb if standards are to improve.

Quite. And in addition there has to be motivation too. Perhaps the private sector might benefit, such as hotel staff, restaurants etc.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I agree with a lot of what you say, but with the UK having so many young left-wing teachers and the country being the melting pot that it is, it's hardly surprising.

That is applicable to many countries today not just the UK.   Im an old Aussie, born and bred, and was talking to someone online a few days ago who said he was Australian and my reply was "Thats funny, you dont look Indian at all"! LOl

3 hours ago, blazes said:

Dublin is preferable to Belfast, where "now"  is pronounced "noy".  

A different thread perhaps, but which is the absolute worst English regional accent?

After Belfast, I'd vote for Liverpool and Yorkshire.  (Sorry if I've offended anyone here.)

Did you forget Birmingham.? :giggle:

• Haha 1

All the assistance in the World will never make a jot of difference to the ability of the Thai people in speaking, or understanding English.

The major hurdle to overcome is the willingness to actually want to learn the language, or anything else.

There seems to me, that there is some kind of deep ingrained resentment towards all things that are not to a persons liking, and an animosity towards being told that what they are doing is incorrect, or could be done differently.

An Electronic Teacher or an Eastern European Techer is just not going to cut it when there is little or no access to English outside of the Classroom

Where are the Free to Air TV Channels in English for the Population to watch and learn from ?

• Like 2