Thailand Welcomes 21 Million Tourists Since January, Rakes in 882 Billion Baht

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand received 21 million international tourists in the January to October 16th period this year, generating over 882 billion baht in tourism revenue

The daily dose of tourism figures.

Funny we don't get the same from the other sectors?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

So 26-27 Million by end of 2023? How does that compare to expectations? Excuses or celebrations on these numbers?

At the start of the year they stated a forecast range of between 24-30 million primarily due to the uncertainty of the level of Chinese recovery, so looking like they'll come in around the mid-point.

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Half that. They always base it on arrivals. I could trip here for a few weeks and do Vietnam, Cam, Laos—bouncing each time—and I am three people lol. 

The same basis every country in the world uses whether your visits are 2 weeks apart or 3 trips spread over a year. You think any country back checks every person arriving to see whether it's their first visit in the year and reduce the figures accordingly ?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

The daily dose of tourism figures.

Funny we don't get the same from the other sectors?

Every story on tourism gets reported because it's one of those topics people love to comment on, monthly factory output just wouldn't stir the same emotions. If you weren't signed up here I'm sure you could live your life blissfully unaware of tourist numbers. 

4 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Ms. Sudawan reported that last week, Malaysian tourists led the way 

The fact that Myanmar workers make up the largest part of their tourist figures speaks volumes about Thailand's tourism !

TAT ONLY counts people arriving by air, not many Burmese construction workers or fishermen fly into Swampy on their way to work!

11 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Does anyone ever fact check TAT stats?

I did once, I used the following, amongst other things, just click on the year you're interested in:

https://investor.airportthai.co.th/transport.html

Forgot to say....you have to add in the non-AOT airports and passenger traffic but exclude land border crossings. I got very very close to one set of numbers issued by TAT, that convinced me they were legit.

Edited by Mike Lister

4 hours ago, Pique Dard said:
5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand saw 470,299 international tourists or about 67,186 per day on average...

..the average will be 67,187 when i arrive 🙂

Nope, it will be 67,186.032  You forgot to add yourself to the monthly total and divide yourself into 31 pieces which is how you will average out.

👨‍🎓

5 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Half that. They always base it on arrivals. I could trip here for a few weeks and do Vietnam, Cam, Laos—bouncing each time—and I am three people lol. 

The counting method had been same for decades.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Ms. Sudawan reported that last week, Malaysian tourists led the way 

The fact that Myanmar workers make up the largest part of their tourist figures speaks volumes about Thailand's tourism !

Where to start with that one, some people. 😂