Thailand Welcomes 21 Million Tourists Since January, Rakes in 882 Billion Baht

webfact

3 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

TAT ONLY counts people arriving by air, not many Burmese construction workers or fishermen fly into Swampy on their way to work!

They most definately don't, TAT uses exactly the same numbers as the Ministry of Sports and Tourism which is all tourists recorded entering at both land and air entry points. Fairly obvious when you consider the number of Malaysian tourists who visit via land borders.

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

They most definately don't, TAT uses exactly the same numbers as the Ministry of Sports and Tourism which is all tourists recorded entering at both land and air entry points. Fairly obvious when you consider the number of Malaysian tourists who visit via land borders.

Nonsense! Where do you think the numbers come from in the first place, where does said Ministry get them from? Hint......things that fly via airports, Immigration at land border crossings certainly don't gather them.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

In an exact tally, the country recorded 21,019,800 foreign arrivals since the beginning of 2023. These arrivals pumped 882.45 billion baht into the economy,

That's Bht 42000 for each and every one of them. Possible?

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

Forgot....also, the majority of Malays visiting Thailand fly into Had Yai or Bangkok, Malay tourists don't drive half way across Malaysia just to cross the land border, then drive half way across Thailand to get to Bangkok!

10 hours ago, jippytum said:

882 billion received from tourism and they are giving away  560 billion to every citizen over 16.

Money the country can ill afford.

Even with this huge bribe they still did not get a majority in the election. They promised this money two weeks before the polls as they feared losing to MFP and preventing the return of their de facto criminal leader. 

I suspect you're correct, giving every citizen in Thailand, 560 billion each probably would break the bank!

Last january to Mid March and maybe early April was High season. It looks like the Summer months of low season, rainy season 

was okay for tourism as well. TAT is so bad with math, and their dreamy forecasts, it is a wonder that

Thailand keeps them employed and not fire them all.

I just hope that this coming high season is a money maker for the hot country of Thailand.

Cheers

15 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Does anyone ever fact check TAT stats?

i would very much doubt it  nobody on here would be that sad

but then again......

15 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

I did once, I used the following, amongst other things, just click on the year you're interested in:

https://investor.airportthai.co.th/transport.html

Forgot to say....you have to add in the non-AOT airports and passenger traffic but exclude land border crossings. I got very very close to one set of numbers issued by TAT, that convinced me they were legit.

words fail me

• Sad 1

What many of us know, is that it likely includes every single business visa issued since the beginning of the year, every single ex-pat that has gone back and forth and who knows what else that figure includes?

One thing that is for sure it that this is not an accurate representation of the current state of tourism, nor the correct arrival numbers. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, shackleton said:

As mentioned it's the high season coming up so expect a large increase of Tourists from cold wet Europe plus Russians and Chinese on their 90 day visas 

It will be like Christmas is coming to the Thai tourist board 🤑

I was wondering about that... conditions sound so dire in the West that I wonder if the numbers will be there. 

On 10/20/2023 at 6:02 AM, keith101 said:

So every single person including children spent an average 39,000 + each 

That sounds about right. The average length of stay is around 9 days but varies by nationality, longer haul tourists stay longer than regional tourists. Average spend per person is around 5,500 per day but once again, varies widely based on nationality.

7 hours ago, DonniePeverley said:

Once Chinese numbers return to normal - that could go up to 40 million. 

Begs the question then why they needed to stimulate Chinese tourists by losing out on all that visa fees they were getting from them. 

Visa fees are a trivial source of tourist income.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Nonsense! Where do you think the numbers come from in the first place, where does said Ministry get them from? Hint......things that fly via airports, Immigration at land border crossings certainly don't gather them.

Utter rubbish, they even published a breakdown of the 39 million 2019 figures showing the split between those arriving by air and land. From memory for Malaysian tourists it was in the 60/40 range.

11 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

What many of us know, is that it likely includes every single business visa issued since the beginning of the year, every single ex-pat that has gone back and forth and who knows what else that figure includes?

One thing that is for sure it that this is not an accurate representation of the current state of tourism, nor the correct arrival numbers. 

Can you support your theory with any hard facts, or is it just your usual hearsay ?

23 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Forgot....also, the majority of Malays visiting Thailand fly into Had Yai or Bangkok, Malay tourists don't drive half way across Malaysia just to cross the land border, then drive half way across Thailand to get to Bangkok!

https://www.tatnews.org/2022/10/tat-says-amazing-thailand-a-million-thanks-to-the-malaysians/#:~:text=Between 1 January%2C 2022%2C and,across the Thai-Malaysian border.

" Between 1st January 2022 and 7 October 2022, almost 1.1 million Malaysian tourists visited Thailand, accounting for 60% of this total was overland travel across the Thai-Malaysian border ".

TAT thanking tourists they don't count. 😂

Edited by kinyara

3 hours ago, kinyara said:

https://www.tatnews.org/2022/10/tat-says-amazing-thailand-a-million-thanks-to-the-malaysians/#:~:text=Between 1 January%2C 2022%2C and,across the Thai-Malaysian border.

" Between 1st January 2022 and 7 October 2022, almost 1.1 million Malaysian tourists visited Thailand, accounting for 60% of this total was overland travel across the Thai-Malaysian border ".

TAT thanking tourists they don't count. 😂

2022 was tourism recovery after covid, Malaysia led that charge, 2022 was a tourism anomaly. What few flights there were were expensive plus nobody wanted to sit on a plane full of covid. So yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were significant numbers of tourists who arrived by road in that year but in over twenty years I've never seen land border crossings set out in the official figures. If you have and if you know of a link to them, anywhere, I'd love to see it. Because the next step is that a whole bunch of posters will start screaming that any land border crossing statistics include day traders not tourists, which I believe is why TAT doesn't count them. 

39 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

2022 was tourism recovery after covid, Malaysia led that charge, 2022 was a tourism anomaly. What few flights there were were expensive plus nobody wanted to sit on a plane full of covid. So yes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if there were significant numbers of tourists who arrived by road in that year but in over twenty years I've never seen land border crossings set out in the official figures. If you have and if you know of a link to them, anywhere, I'd love to see it. Because the next step is that a whole bunch of posters will start screaming that any land border crossing statistics include day traders not tourists, which I believe is why TAT doesn't count them. 

If you read almost any thread about tourist numbers that's exactly the line that many posters take regarding Malaysian tourists, classifying them as day shoppers or even more bizarrly workers, which of course isn't supported by the facts, namely in common with other Asian countries the average length of stay is 4-5 days.

2022 wasn't a tourism anomaly regarding arrival method by Malaysian tourists. See " International Tourist Arrivals by Mode of Transport 2011-2020 " in the attached link, which shows consistently year by year arrivals by land were 60%+ of the total from Malaysia.

http://statbbi.nso.go.th/staticreport/page/sector/en/17.aspx

25 minutes ago, kinyara said:

If you read almost any thread about tourist numbers that's exactly the line that many posters take regarding Malaysian tourists, classifying them as day shoppers or even more bizarrly workers, which of course isn't supported by the facts, namely in common with other Asian countries the average length of stay is 4-5 days.

2022 wasn't a tourism anomaly regarding arrival method by Malaysian tourists. See " International Tourist Arrivals by Mode of Transport 2011-2020 " in the attached link, which shows consistently year by year arrivals by land were 60%+ of the total from Malaysia.

http://statbbi.nso.go.th/staticreport/page/sector/en/17.aspx

Thank you for the link. I don't know if 2022 was or was not an anomaly in respect of ratio's because the date in the link doesn't include that year. It was however an anomaly in respect of the ratio of Malay tourists to other nationalities which fell off a cliff that year and the year before. But I don't think that's important to confirm consistent ratios or otherwise, I accept based on the NSO link that land arrivals are included in the NSO report so logically they are included in the TAT statistics also. 

14 hours ago, Mike Lister said:
On 10/20/2023 at 6:02 AM, keith101 said:

So every single person including children spent an average 39,000 + each 

That sounds about right.

The children must be high-maintenance! Do all those 1-week tourists stay at 5-star hotels? Impressive!

Edited by StayinThailand2much

9 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I don't need to support institutional corruption, lies and deceptions. 

When was the last time this government was honest with you, anyway? 

I don't either but you're making assertions without any information to support them, so I'll take that as a no.

As an example the tourist length of stay statistics would look very strange if they included expats on retirement visas as tourists. My recent trip overseas was 3 years after my last one, so if your theory of including every expat arrival as a tourist was correct I would show up in the statistics as a tourist staying over 1,000 days.