Disgusted with the roads!

CanadaSam

Interesting because I was just riding my scooter on Beach Road and appreciated the new pavement.  There are massive new concrete highways all over the country that are beautiful to ride on and practically empty. 

Then, there are the roads that the OP mentions.  Everything is smooth one minute and suddenly I was bottoming out my front suspension and praying not to hit the deck at 100 km/hr.  Those incidents were frequent and serious enough that I paid for YSS front and rear suspension.  It didn't fill the potholes, but it did stop the bottoming out and near- loss of control problems.  

Next up: traffic on Buakhao thread 

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2023 at 9:13 AM, CanadaSam said:

It is ludicrous, and makes me angry!  There are even hi-so people (supposedly connected) who drive ferrari's and lamborghini's on these unpassable roads, who don't bother to use their contacts to DO anything?

They are probably the ones siphoning money off of construction projects and need them to never be completed correctly so they can continue to siphon. 

And if the roads are truely unpassable how are people passing on them?

3 minutes ago, stix40 said:

Generally I think the roads are good here , compared to the UK where you pay a fortune in road tax. 

Roads in UK are a disgrace! 

I believe the most  problems are within Pattaya and the outskirts....not so bad on a country-wide status. Although the Rd into my Mrs village in Issarn is also atrocious and never known it different for 15 years.

• Thumbs Up 1

There are even hi-so people (supposedly connected) who drive ferrari's and lamborghini's on these unpassable roads, who don't bother to use their contacts to DO anything?

Where do you think the money comes from for those, corruption all round, from Daddy to Son, If they made good roads from high quality material, and engineering technics, proper cement etc. etc. then where will they get next years dosh from if they don't need repairing? as with footpaths, hardly ever see proper Hardcore used or compactors, who does all the plant belong to? Get over it.  yep This IS Thailand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, newbee2022 said:

I can understand your complaints in a certain extent.

However, do you know there are more cities in the world than only Pattaya?

Do you know you can move voluntarily to other destinations?

😶😕

I hear Pyongyang is nice, very little traffic.

north-korea-traffic-wardens-attractive-817148.jpg.42c5fa9ee0c31373a050056c05a6ad6e.jpg

• Haha 2

On da' island we have some pretty sad roads here n there. Queue the landslide of the pretty new road/bypass over da Patong Hill!

Monsoon season brings dem' pesky potholes out for sure.

By and large the roads we use on the island are ...?? The backroad from BangTao to Laguna Golfing is reasonably okay?🥴 with. few a rough spots n really bad concrete expansion seams and the usual shocking level  transitions/aprons between bridges and roads ... OMG!

Suk. Rd to Patt's is a perfect example of a shocker. At 110 kms you literally become airborne at every single canal/creek overpass/bridge, so constant braking is needed to keep the car in contact with the roadway lol 🤣😂🤣😂. Thank God we don't ever ride that road at all now.

I find acceptance of driving at lower speeds in LOS is a necessity to preserve ones life, vehicle suspension, and tyre integrity lol 🤣

I look at it this way; When we do go and drive in Europe, and Australia we revel in the decent surfaces and open the throttle with much more appreciation of being able to do so.

• Like 1

There's a logical explanation, which makes sense if you understand Thai logic.

I did a small job for the owner of one of the largest road contractors in Thailand. He explained that if they were to follow the specifications the government gave for building roads they would make a road that would last 10 years before requiring maintenance. As he explained it, that's 10 years without revenue. So they make the roads with below contract quality so that they require maintenance every 6 months and the revenue stream is continuous. 

Apparently, the government doesn't question it. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2023 at 2:26 PM, connda said:

Get to 10,000 posts and you'll begin to accept it.
Get to 20,000 posts and you'll have been living in rural Thailand for years.  :wink:

Screenshotfrom2023-10-2114-24-20.png.973543dd4fae93c469c5798dc644a4b3.png

The quantity of posts on AN does not signify the amount of time a person has lived in Thailand.

I think most people, myself included, do not feel the need to add momentum to a lot of the nonsense posted on here.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2023 at 8:47 PM, CanadaSam said:

I mentioned that in the same sentence as ferrari's, lamborghini's, almost all the roads in Pattaya are unpassable for those cars being centimetres above the road.

A guy who I know took my for a driving his Mclaren 720s a few years ago and he had no problem with speed bumps. There was a button on the dashboard to raise the ride height. I'd expect other super cars to have a similar function. 

On 10/21/2023 at 12:03 PM, bobbin said:

The main Pattaya roads are a disgrace.. Too much reconstruction going on at the same time..

I have a nice car but I will often call a Grab so I don't have the aggravation of dealing with detours and disappearing lanes..

It's going to be good in a couple of years but I'm running out of time!

You better sell your Car:post-4641-1156694572:

Pattaya don't feel any loss of "face" for the absolutely pathetic "roads" they have and keep on making here, you can't do down any street without going over numerous largish potholes

Beach Road has recently been resurfaced. 

A few inches of asphalt topping. 

The nice engineers made it wavy, at speed It's like riding in a boat, up and down on the waves. 

Thanks city hall 😎

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Beach Road has recently been resurfaced. 

A few inches of asphalt topping. 

The nice engineers made it wavey, ที่ speed It's like riding in a boat, up and down on the waves. 

Thanks city hall 😎

The same engineer should be forced ride a 10 year old PCX from Pattaya Klang, along Sukhumvit, to Thepprasit Road and see if HE can avoid the drain covers.

Edited by hotandsticky