Do you think (most) financially struggling western retirees are stupid for not retiring abroad?

Jingthing

On 10/21/2023 at 4:10 AM, EchoPlus said:

Not everything is about money or purchase power.

Most people want to stay in the place they call home.

You need a peculiar mindset to go die in a country where most people don't even speak your language, infrastructure sucks and your family ain't around. Most people retiring in Thailand are in a way or another, deep down inside, sad and lonely individuals. I mean no disrespect. It's just the truth.

"Most people retiring in Thailand are in a way or another, deep down inside, sad and lonely individuals".... WOW! QUITE a statement. Of course this is just your opinion so it holds no value.

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

She's 'financially sorted' because she gets financial assistance from the UK government. This same help is available to ALL legal residents of retirement age.  A British pensioner living in Thailand who only has a frozen UK state pension to live on will find life increasingly difficult as the years pass, and serious health problems (which come to most of us sooner or later) will likely be financially devastating and mean no more visa extension. Life on the breadline is no fun anywhere in the world.

You're kind of proving my point. Different countries different situations  If your home country has an adequate safety net then it is obviously less compelling for poorer retirees to retire to a lower cost country in order to improve their quality of life or even just to have any kind of roof over their head. My premise obviously only applies to such people that can greatly benefit by making the move.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

On 10/21/2023 at 8:38 AM, Jingthing said:

I haven't been to Mexico in a long time but I'm hearing that it's gotten a lot more Americanized. Not necessarily a good thing. Also of course the dollar ain't what it used to be there.

I used to really love Mexico, but it's not cheap anymore and you're always having to look over your shoulders. In addition to that you really can't do much traveling on the road because you're then subject to the whims of the cartels, which is not a position I would want to be in. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I used to really love Mexico, but it's not cheap anymore and you're always having to look over your shoulders. In addition to that you really can't do much traveling on the road because you're then subject to the whims of the cartels, which is not a position I would want to be in. 

I wouldn't drive there but if going by bus it's quite easy to identify risky areas.

I like Mexico's residency offer in which depending on your wealth you can get permanent residence that's good for life upon one application. Or you can go for temp residency which leads to permanent in five years.

I continue to believe that there are relatively safer places to live in Mexico.

9 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

As an aside....

Interesting topic.....

We are RVing, currently in the US - now in Deming, New Mexico - starting from the SF bay area...

What Jing is alluding to is the "nomadic" lifestyle touted across YTube....

Before coming here I gathered books on BLM/USFS area camping intending to do some boondocking.....However, in looking at some places & people involved I don't want to jeopardize mine, or my wife's safety - it's definitely a fringe group.....

Except for a few dry camping nights we've been staying in RV parks....

What I've noticed is there's a lot of normal people paying $400-$500 a month space rent in their RV's....They share a sense of community & seem to be happy life wise.... That's a viable option.....

Prices on everything have exploded here.... Identical brands & sizes in stores are 3-4x what we pay in TH....A 10# bag of ice = $11 at a convenience store...

These people are getting squeezed from every direction.....

We're here October into January....In truth, I made the trip too long & will be happy to get back "home" to the TH....

However, it gives us Thanksgiving, Christmas, & New Years with family....

After you pay for the fuel to push the RV and space rent at decent RV parks which I know can get pricey, is there a savings vs. driving a car and staying at hotels. 

I had the talk with one relative.

Maybe many others do not want to be that away far from children and grandchildren either

Some silly soul said he would not live anywhere where he could not own a gun

Many of the "skels" on America's streets in rags  stinking of their own foecal wastes actually have a couple thousand dollars  coming in per month.

I would think it better to be in a small Thai room anywhere with toilet, cold shower, and fan than frozen to the pavement.  Actually some burn on the sidewalks now

That would take a plan, and most are too far gone

https://news.yahoo.com/people-phoenix-getting-third-degree-182510252.html

On 10/21/2023 at 8:14 AM, bignok said:

60 or 70% of yanks dont own a passport

Part of the reason is the US is a large, and a relatively isolated nation, compared to Europe. A person who lives in a place like Nebraska needs to travel almost 1200 km just to hit a border, whereas someone in Paris who travels 1200 km could be in 17 different countries.

Just to get from East or West coast in the US to Asia or Europe requires 6-10 hours of flying, plus cost. How many europeans, even those with passports, do 6-10 hour flights? Brits go from the UK to Spain or France for maybe 30 quid on Ryan Air, which is like going from eastern Nebraska to western Nebraska.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

I had the talk with one relative.

Maybe many others do not want to be that away far from children and grandchildren either

Some silly soul said he would not live anywhere where he could not own a gun

Many of the "skels" on America's streets in rags  stinking of their own foecal wastes actually have a couple thousand dollars  coming in per month.

I would think it better to be in a small Thai room anywhere with toilet, cold shower, and fan than frozen to the pavement.  Actually some burn on the sidewalks now

That would take a plan, and most are too far gone

https://news.yahoo.com/people-phoenix-getting-third-degree-182510252.html

Bingo.

I wouldn't suggest retiring abroad with less than 1000 a month and some kind of getting settled emergency fund but 2000 a month would mean a much better level.

Plus factoring in visas of course so not only about Thailand. There are many other options. 

That said a shocking percentage of Americans have no savings at all.  So for those people even with income they might be stuck.

On 10/21/2023 at 3:14 PM, bignok said:

60 or 70% of yanks dont own a passport

For those  (American citizens) who have no intention to leave the country can you offer a reason why they should get a passport?

Personally, I've had a valid passport since the age of 18 and I renew it well in advance of its last 6 months of validity.

So why should Americans not planning to leave their country get a passport nok?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

For those  (American citizens) who have no intention to leave the country can you offer a reason why they should get a passport?

Personally, I've had a valid passport since the age of 18 and I renew it well in advance of its last 6 months of validity.

So why should Americans not planning to leave their country get a passport nok?

One reason 

If you find you need to leave in a hurry.

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

After you pay for the fuel to push the RV and space rent at decent RV parks which I know can get pricey, is there a savings vs. driving a car and staying at hotels. 

We had some frame work done on the RV.....Shopped hotels = none below $100 per night (plus eating out)....7 days later & $700 less in the budget we pulled out....If you figure in eating out it gets worse....We like Mexican food so went through a locally owned restaurant drive through - $30 later we had basically 2 burritos, chips & salsa....

I've been watching enroute & $70-80 for a room is about as low as it gets... I'm sure there's some for less if we start driving into towns looking for the "older" sections - which might not be in a decent/safe area..... I've spotted multiple people hanging around rooms probably living off the dole & increasing numbers to decrease cost (Calif)....

This trip I'm bringing a boatload of family keepsakes & heirlooms (I've been safeguarding in storage) between the 2 vehicles to my daughters in Texas....Due to the amount of people moving from CA to TX there's been a rash of people waking up at hotels & finding their UHaul trucks, cars, &/or trailers (belongings) gone - being preyed on by organized criminals along the route....

I'm doing my best to avoid giving anybody those type of opportunities ....

We're self contained when/if we need to be....

Here's some California gas prices I had to pay along the way....

I' m using the Passport America discounts & it's about $20 a night so far with a stocked kitchen & water/AC it's comfortable....Plus offering the security of choice over chance....Most RV parks have some type of security whether patrolled, walled, cctv, etc....

Could contain:

Edited by pgrahmm
  • Like 1

I have also made myself that question. 

Here I can live good on my pension. In my home country I only had enough for rent a small flat and cheap food. Not to have a car and a motorbike, rent a house and still have the half left for traveling around in Asia. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/21/2023 at 6:12 AM, Michael Klaxxon said:

I was watching a vid on Youtube the other day.

Female expat (Russian I believe) was talking about the kind of guys she met in Phuket.

3 categories:

1) Guys that are losers back home

2) Guys with mental health issues

3) Guys that are cheaters

I think she is mostly right.

Because there are definitely no losers, cheaters, and guys with mental health issues back home. Totally different world and pool of men back there...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/21/2023 at 7:24 AM, Bobthegimp said:

Two stayed with him in his hotel room. The other 3 were at the Devil's Den or Eden Club in Bangkok.  He brought his "toy box" to DD and the girls laughed and dragged out their toy box. 

Anyways, I was happy for the guy being able to pull that off in his 60s. 

Didn't do anything for his hips though....

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

However, in looking at some places & people involved I don't want to jeopardize mine, or my wife's safety - it's definitely a fringe group

I did a couple of trips down to Quartzite from Vancouver and stayed at the free BLM (Bureau of Land Management) sites. 

There's a spectrum of people who stay there that ranges from people living in an old beater car on SS to retired couples in million dollar bus conversions and cruising around town in side by sides.  Safety wasn't a problem in the sites but I can see why you'd get the impression that it was. Slab City is a different matter, being chock full of meth heads and mentally ill people who dislike being told what to do (more than I do).   

My last trip down there was in 2019. I highballed down the I5 and stayed in the desert for a few days before booking a flight to Thailand and highballing back home to spend the following 9 weeks in Thailand.  

• Love It 1

It would be nice if your question were so easily defined and simply answered. It is not.

People migrate and not only for the simplistic ideas that Thailand attracts people who wish to run away, are desperately lonely, to hide, have little to support themselves, are either out-n-proud mongers or closet mongers, or have nothing much to live for.

I/we have a home here for none of the above reasons.

Some folks are just not built for risk. Some prefer what they know and which is familiar, others not.

Some live international travelling lives and own homes in multiple countries.

Some have left their nations because they seek a warm to hot climate, and a shorts n loose shirt relaxed 'easy does it' lifestyle, while some others come here cause they are hiding out from Interpol, the CIA, or are incognito ex SAS hardmen lol  🤣

if you only had enough to squeak by living in a foreign country it wouldn’t be living it would be existing. If things go pear shaped it could be devastating.

and if you walked around hating everything about a foreign country you moved to to survive would be tough on your mental health…

2 hours ago, Expat68 said:

I have a British friend who has been holidaying in Thailand for years and will be coming shortly, actually admits he would miss the UK unlike me, never missed it from day one

I miss a few US things. Some people of course and Ethiopian food for example.  Yes I know they have it in Bangkok but I rarely go there.

• Haha 1