House chaos forces Senate to take the wheel on spending

Social Media

image.png

The stalemate in the House is forcing the Senate to pick up the legislative slack and take the lead on spending.

That includes keeping the government funded, as well as an emerging aid package that includes money to help Israel and Ukraine and to ease concerns at the U.S.-Mexico border, a top issue for House Republicans they may have precious little say over. 

“It’s just so difficult to read how the gears start turning again in the House,” Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.), an ally of Senate GOP leadership, told The Hill. “We just can’t sit and wait.” 

House Republicans are entering their third week without a Speaker at a crucial point in the year. 

There is less than a month before the next government shutdown deadline, with the House having effectively zapped three weeks of the stopgap bill that ultimately led to Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) losing the Speakership earlier this month.

The Senate is also set to work up the White House’s $105 billion supplemental package that includes aid for Israel and Ukraine in their battles against Hamas and Russia, respectively. 

This leaves lawmakers with a time crunch, as they hope to get the work done before Thanksgiving without much help from across the Capitol complex, where funding legislation normally originates.

President Biden’s request to Congress included $61 billion for Ukraine, $14 billion for Israel, $14 billion to beef up border operations, $10 billion in humanitarian aid and $2 billion for Indo-Pacific security assistance. The push for Ukraine aid comes after Congress was unable to include it in the 45-day continuing resolution lawmakers passed at the end of last month. 

FULL STORY

THEHILL-250.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, placeholder said:

You sure about that?

Most House Republicans vote to uphold Ukraine aid

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/4226675-most-house-republicans-vote-to-uphold-ukraine-aid/

McConnell supports Biden’s Israel and Ukraine aid bundle, hopes for ‘functional’ House

https://nypost.com/2023/10/22/mcconnell-backs-up-biden-bundling-israel-and-ukraine-aid-hopes-for-functional-house/

Nice factual response pholder ... As for our other member ... Why let plain hard facts get in the way of ones ignorance, bigotry, and denial.

Thank you pholder ... But hey, why should 

22 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

To be clear, spending bills must originate in the House.

“All bills raising revenue …”, the proposed bill does not address raising revenue (raising taxes) but rather addresses spending.

• Thanks 2

On 10/23/2023 at 7:02 PM, JonnyF said:

Quite the big spender isn’t he (on foreign projects with American taxpayer’s money).

Thank god the Republicans are bringing some fiscal responsibility to the table.

Chaos indeed. Like most of Biden’s time in power.

Printing money they haven't got to give weapons to lunatics to maim and kill, meanwhile poor are dying in the streets, and the arm's manufacturers are getting fatter and fatter 

• Thanks 1

unfortunately, the US politicians are first of all, POLITICIANS and in my opinion, like in other countries in which I have lived, consider themselves entitled to make as much money for themselves and their families.  They may come into an elected office with dreams of "solving" the problems of their nation.  Soon though they seem to learn how easy it is to fatten their wallets - corruption is the current word used.  Some countries try to pass laws preventing such corruption but the law that is passed if possible, is too weak or watered down because who wants to kill the goose that lays the golden egg so to speak.  Now, most western countries are infested with way too many immigrants.  Previously, the immigrants into these countries merged into different communities and assimilated into local society, many becoming productive citizens.  Nowadays with the hordes pouring in, they tend to stick together, becoming a voting

majority in many places and begin to try to change their new country to be more like the one they fled, and in doing so destroy the

society of their new country.  This is my opinion anyway but I have seen the same thing elsewhere and read stories from other  countries and it strikes me as being exactly the same.  I recall India had a story years ago, that their parliament had been trying to pass a non-corruption law unsuccessfully for 5 years.  My own congress failed to pass an insider trading bill recently without success.  Now I am fully aware of salaries, and when almost all the elected  officials' families are rich I begin to wonder just how is that possible.