Early Morning Downpour Submerges Pattaya Streets

snoop1130

S__35569672-696x391.jpg

Torrential rainfall was observed throughout Pattaya City and its surrounding areas early this morning, October 25th, lasting for nearly an hour.

The onslaught of heavy rain occurred in line with the Thai Meteorological Department’s warning of increased rainfall and gusty winds across various regions of Thailand, including the northeastern, central, and upper southern regions, from October 24th to the 29th, 2023.

This is due to the weakening of a high-pressure system and a cool air mass over upper Thailand and the South China Sea, coupled with an approaching monsoon trough.

By Tanakorn Panyadee

Full story: The Pattaya News 2023-10-25

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

The storm was very powerful, my balcony chairs were flying about 

Cheap plastic tat like what England fans will be throwing around in Germany next Summer.

My hand-carved ebony furniture stayed put on my balcony. It is expertly crafted by a Cambodian carpenter moonlighting from his regular job at the Sanctuary of Truth. Job for life that.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

I was in a small bar on Buakhao and they had to drag a bunch of tables and chairs farther into the bar to avoid the wind driven rain.  I arrived as the first drop of rain fell. By the time the beer was in front of me the skies had opened up.  It's kind of cozy, like being snowed in, but without the cold and snow. 

• Thumbs Up 1

23 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Who wants that heavy rubbish furniture you can't move. My chairs are metal, good enough

Yes I had a load of carved heavy wood stuff in the first place I rented.... looked good but not readily moved to clean under. I always recall the matching carved baby elephants , large for items of decoration, small if compared to real elephants, but they got the weight about right!

Just a light amount of rain at my place north of town.....

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes I had a load of carved heavy wood stuff in the first place I rented.... looked good but not readily moved to clean under. I always recall the matching carved baby elephants , large for items of decoration, small if compared to real elephants, but they got the weight about right!

The heavy wood furniture is marginally better than the cement furniture, try and move it about without getting a hernia later

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, BenStark said:

Did you have a look at the UK news the past few days,

I have seen far worse flooding there than in Pattaya

And this event was far from floods in Pattaya in the past (I learnt my lesson in September 2011, almost ruined my new car).

Torrential rain for an hour and water running off in one to two hours.

Such can always appear and no way to avoid local flooding with this amount of downpour.

"Torrential" downpour: many living in dryer countries might not have experienced in lifetime or as a once in a year event.

Edited by KhunBENQ

33 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

And this event was far from floods in Pattaya in the past (I learnt my lesson in September 2011, almost ruined my new car).

I used to get a new car every three years before the pound fell & the pension froze.  The salesmen were much amused by my measuring flood water clearance levels.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Nothing really  in Pratumak 

Edited by Irish star