Remember to block SMS that cut money from your account

49 minutes ago, itsari said:

Disgusting dishonest practice , especially when considering truemove has a 49 percent ownership by a Norwegian telecom company that would be barred from business if they done the same crap at there home base.

That fine norwegian company was doing the same before lawmakers in the west started cracking down on this practice. They'll be more than happy to do it in juristictions where it's still possible.

Just now, eisfeld said:

That fine norwegian company was doing the same before lawmakers in the west started cracking down on this practice. They'll be more than happy to do it in juristictions where it's still possible.

High time to eradicate that type of business

On 10/26/2023 at 3:57 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Good reason to keep minimal balance on a phone like my DTAC sim

Even better, bee like us oldies and don't use your phone for any banking apps. Use your pc and check you balance every day and any SMS goes to your mobile only. Check your messages every time and then accept, delete or block the sender.

No problem.

26 minutes ago, gargamon said:

I can't believe people are still using SMS's. They're so 1990s.

OTP are still in use, even with Apps. 
OP may not be sending SMS, rather being charged for being sent ‘promo SMS’. Something that has been occurring with Truemove H prior to now. I’m sure you can find threads with regard to it on this very forum. 

On 10/26/2023 at 4:03 PM, redwood1 said:

Guys just take your phone to the AIS or whoever center at the mall and they will clean all the money-sucking garbage off you phone for free..

Forget trying to find it yourself.....You will not...

Also don't open any spam ever.....Once you open you then pay and pay and pay till its removed...

Yup. Simples. Took mine to Dtac 5-7 years ago. Haven't had a problem since.

Good advice Redwood.

• Thanks 1

23 years ago I developed one of the largest 'reverse SMS' networks in the UK, Spain, France and Belgium.  I had the technical ability to charge up to 1.50 quid for someone to receive my text message and there was nothing that they could do to block my messages!

Of course, I only sent out these messages in response to a text message request to subscribe to or to receive that information.  (Quite why someone would pay 1.50 quid to receive a text message about 'dogging' locations is beyond me, but I made a ton of money from this service!).

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, gargamon said:

I can't believe people are still using SMS's. They're so 1990s.

I get an SMS from the banks telling me the OTP I need to enter to complete a transaction. It is a 2 stage check.

I do the bank work on my pc and I have to enter the OTP that goes to my smart phone to confirm that it is from me before the bank will complete the action.

Wrong OTP, and the transaction is cancelled.

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

I get an SMS from the banks telling me the OTP I need to enter to complete a transaction. It is a 2 stage check.

I do the bank work on my pc and I have to enter the OTP that goes to my smart phone to confirm that it is from me before the bank will complete the action.

Wrong OTP, and the transaction is cancelled.

I get emails or a voice call (from a machine of course) with the code... 

6 hours ago, gargamon said:

I get emails or a voice call (from a machine of course) with the code... 

I don't always take my mobile everywhere anymore as I am finished with paid work, so if I get a voice mail when I am outside, I will miss it. An SMS is always in the messenger file until I read and delete it.

Phone call, email or SMS makes no difference.

Truemove blocked "paid spam" and I got a verification on Sep 26. I also blocked the numbers in my phone.

This resulted in me not seeing the messages arrive. But I still get three messages @3 baht every day 🤣🤣🤣

I see that in my billing.

This is a joke. The big corporations have taken over and care s--- for their customers.

Back to Truemove tomorrow.

And look at the content (Google translate) the big corporations have united and just spread chaos and hatred among ordinary people, competition between businesses is gone. If there was true competition between telecom operators, this crap would never occur.

Enhance your luck and make you more lucky on Sunday. Suggestions for making merit for a coffin Not being taken advantage of

Edited by thailandsgreat

Went to Truemove today. They say it works like this:

Using the mobile Internet of my phone, I have visited websites that use spam SMS. These websites are allowed to extract my phone number from Truemove's mobile Internet!!  The websites are then allowed to send SMS to me and charge for it!

This can be turned off by calling

and pressing 4 twice.

One must do this every time a website sends these. There is no way to disable the charges once and for all.

We must therefore regularly check our phone bills for these posts or just regularly call *137 | 4 | 4

So I just unblocked the numbers sending spam SMS so I will be aware they arrive and call *137 | 4 | 4

Hotel Internet has been weak lately and I have done some shopping at Lazada and Shopee over mobile Internet. I suspect this could be the cause. (My phone number was never given to Lazada/Shopee explicitly, since hotel reception took care of receiving the orders.)

Naturally a horrible system which shows that the Telecom operators have stopped competing and all big enterprise have joined and turned on the customers.

Edited by thailandsgreat
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

Using the mobile Internet of my phone, I have visited websites that use spam SMS. These websites are allowed to extract my phone number from Truemove's mobile Internet!!  The websites are then allowed to send SMS to me and charge for it!

and pressing 4 twice.

One must do this every time a website sends these. There is no way to disable the charges once and for all.

We must therefore regularly check our phone bills for these posts or just regularly call *137 | 4 | 4

So I just unblocked the numbers sending spam SMS so I will be aware they arrive and call *137 | 4 | 4

Hotel Internet has been weak lately and I have done some shopping at Lazada and Shopee over mobile Internet. I suspect this could be the cause. (My phone number was never given to Lazada/Shopee explicitly, since hotel reception took care of receiving the orders.)

Naturally a horrible system which shows that the Telecom operators have stopped competing and all big enterprise have joined and turned on the customers.

Take note there are no complaints of these chargeable messages from AIS nor DTAC customers(once the option for blocking has been enabled) and I’m sure they use mobile Internet too. I think Truemove H didn’t even have an *137 option in English to block them, if I remember correctly. 

5 minutes ago, NextG said:

Take note there are no complaints of these chargeable messages from AIS nor DTAC customers(once the option for blocking has been enabled) and I’m sure they use mobile Internet too. I think Truemove H didn’t even have an *137 option in English to block them, if I remember correctly. 

Yea in more than a decade of AIS and using mobile internet I've never had this issue. But I turned off the promo SMS nonsense at the start.

If Truemove has a system that lets third parties obtain your phone number just from your mobile connection info then that's pretty disgusting. Then again it could be a misunderstanding of the technical details.

On 10/26/2023 at 2:57 PM, thailandsgreat said:

Most of you probably know this but I learned today, so I put a heads up here.

For about a month I have received spam SMS/text messages from two numbers. I didn't care but now see that for each message they nicked 3 baht from my account. I went to Truemove and they blocked "non free ads" I believe.

About 5 text a day for a month is about 450 baht. No big deal, but stupid system that they can send SMS and cut money and I must actively block them. I also blocked them in my phone.

About 10 years ago while in Malaysia I turned my phone on (with Thai Sim) for 5 mins and received about 20x Multimedia message (in Thai) from MCOT news...   when I returned to Thailand I was charged about 6000 baht for those messages (exact figure I can't remember). 

I contacted AIS complaining that they had no right to charge me, I'd never signed up for a news service and it was up to them not to forward messages which I have not signed up for - I was pleasantly surprised they rescinded the charges of those Multi-media messages. 

No one should be charged for receiving something they have no control over. 

I switched to prepaid sometime back and never recharge more then 50 THB at a time that is usually once a month. 

For calls it's only via Line, Wassup, Viber or via Facebook Messenger or e-mail.  When there is only 1 THB credit left with True, by some divine miracle those annoying paid scam SMS just stop. Also activated the wifi calls and desactivated data roaming. Never doI  give out the local Thai number to deliveries. Only give then the foreign GSM number if they insist and claim not having Line or Wassup.

• Thanks 1

I can just add that there is no "misunderstanding of the technical details". I specifically asked how these websites had obtained my phone number. Truemove told me that the company will reveal my phone number to the sites and let them send SMS that I have to pay for, when I visit them using mobile Internet.

And there is nothing fishy about the sites I visited. Just ordinary Lazada and Shopee sites with components for a camera and a motorbike. Good reviews of sites and good products/delivery. Apart from that I haven't changed my surfing behavior which is mostly large newspapers and a few large foras.

4 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

I can just add that there is no "misunderstanding of the technical details". I specifically asked how these websites had obtained my phone number. Truemove told me that the company will reveal my phone number to the sites and let them send SMS that I have to pay for, when I visit them using mobile Internet.

And there is nothing fishy about the sites I visited. Just ordinary Lazada and Shopee sites with components for a camera and a motorbike. Good reviews of sites and good products/delivery. Apart from that I haven't changed my surfing behavior which is mostly large newspapers and a few large foras.

I expect they have refunded you in full. They certainly do for prepaid accounts. 

22 hours ago, thailandsgreat said:

and pressing 4 twice.

'Tis the price we pay to be tracked and controlled more and more every day.🙃🙃

Here are some examples (Google translate) of what I have been forced to pay for. Google translate may be part of it but I have lived in Asia almost most of my adult life and heard a lot in China and some in Japan. But almost nothing as sick as Truemove is distributing. I never translated them before but here are some just picked in sequence, without selecting.

Monday-Wednesday-Thursday people put pressure on work, use mindfulness to solve problems. Releasing the fish in front of the cutting board will definitely be good.

Friday people's health Headache with complicated matters Be careful of accidents around the legs and knees.

Enhance your luck and make people lucky on Saturday. Always wipe door and window glass clean

Thursday-Friday people Remote work deal criteria Popular online Guaranteed to be good for sure.

Tuesday-Saturday people Single people but still feel like they're not liked by anyone. Want to focus on work and money

This time, you must give alms to the monks and make merit by dedicating the coffin to the karma. Let's open the way to receive luck.

Edited by thailandsgreat