Update.....Re flying one way with or without visa in advance

I was looking for the original thread on this but am scrolling back indefinately

Been much chatter lately about having an ticket out of the country when arriving.

Whilst I had an Evisa in advance the check in agent at Etihad didnt even look at it at Heathrow. It was a folded A4 sheet and she just handed in back (think she thought it was probably their own Eticket print off) without looking

I could have been on visa exempt because clearly at least Etihad are not bothered about one way tickets

On an aside quickest I've ever had in the air on a 2 sector flight just 6.05 and 5.17 from London with a bonus I got upgraded on both legs as overbooked

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Try that from nearby countries without visa...and low cost airlines eg AirAsia 

eg Saigon to Bangkok

Yes and I've mentioned more than few times before that I was in severe danger of being offloaded on Emirates when in 2007 I was using the return portion of a BKK-LON-BKK (so effectively now one way) without having an advance Visa....had to sign indemnity over potential rejection at Bangkok

Clearly some airlines more strict than others

This was only the first time since I had arrived one way so was trying to stay on the ball

34 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

eg Saigon to Bangkok

Definitely some unhelpful advice being given on this thread. I was deboarded by Air Europa in Madrid for having a one-way ticket and no visa. Only last month flying Munich to Bangkok (Thai Airways TG 925) was asked at check-in if I had a visa? I explained 'Retirement Extension'. Next question; 'Show it to me'. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

eg Saigon to Bangkok

Even there it's hit and miss. A friend who flew in on AirAsia visa exempt last month didn't have an onward ticket. The check-in clerk did ask him how long he'll stay in Thailand and where he'll go next, but his answer (two weeks, then overland to Laos) was satisfactory without having to present any evidence. No guarantees obviously. 

• Thanks 1

Clear from the comments already that there is no definitive answer

You potentially take your life in your hands with a one way ticket and no visa (or maybe even with a visa)

Yes I acknowledge you could walk away from check in and buy one of these onward reservations but sure as hell its going to be scrutinised to hell once you return to check in because they're not stupid and know exactly that they are

45 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Even there it's hit and miss. A friend who flew in on AirAsia visa exempt last month didn't have an onward ticket. The check-in clerk did ask him how long he'll stay in Thailand and where he'll go next, but his answer (two weeks, then overland to Laos) was satisfactory without having to present any evidence. No guarantees obviously. 

Indeed.

I'm currently in Saigon and last night chatting with a Oz guy.

He is flying to Bangkok today visa exempt.

I told him that almost a certainty he will be asked for onward flight.

Didn't bother to tell him about "onward.ticket.com" option.

We went through booking process which took all of 2 minutes and since he has vn WiFi he could step away from counter to book throw away ticket.

1500b 

It's smart to have real booking AND ticket printed.

For "extension flights" I have VietJet ready to show. If I go to Imi for 30 day extension and don't use it I re-book for an other trip 30 days later and only "loose" $ 20-30 (price difference plus re-booking fee).

It's worth to have a solid real ticket. Unless you are "it never happens to me" crowd...

PS. Last flight from EU by Thai they checked nor once but twice all tickets. First at the desk and then again at the gate.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chivas said:

Yes and I've mentioned more than few times before that I was in severe danger of being offloaded on Emirates when in 2007 I was using the return portion of a BKK-LON-BKK (so effectively now one way) without having an advance Visa....had to sign indemnity over potential rejection at Bangkok

Clearly some airlines more strict than others

This was only the first time since I had arrived one way so was trying to stay on the ball

I came back with Emirates a couple of weeks ago. It was the return leg and I had a virgin passport and he never mentioned a visa at check-in, although I did have an e-visa.

Been challenged a few times previously using a re-entry permit, didn't recognise that as a pseudo visa and said I needed a return ticket. Can take a bit of explaining that one, not on their crib sheet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Chivas said:

Yes I acknowledge you could walk away from check in and buy one of these onward reservations but sure as hell its going to be scrutinised to hell once you return to check in because they're not stupid and know exactly that they are

Afaik these onward-ticket reservations are genuine reservations, but they are automatically cancelled by the service provider 48hr to 72hr after issuing them.  So there is no need to buy a more expensive genuine ticket.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red Phoenix said:

Afaik these onward-ticket reservations are genuine reservations, but they are automatically cancelled by the service provider 48hr to 72hr after issuing them.  So there is no need to buy a more expensive genuine ticket.

Whether it's a "genuine" reservation or not is irrelevant. If they are going to inspect your ticket, they're clearly going to want a ticket that can in fact be used to fly you out of Thailand. What are you going to say if the person checking your ticket points out that what you've shown them is clearly from the onwardticket website and can't actually be used with any airline?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Whether it's a "genuine" reservation or not is irrelevant. If they are going to inspect your ticket, they're clearly going to want a ticket that can in fact be used to fly you out of Thailand. What are you going to say if the person checking your ticket points out that what you've shown them is clearly from the onwardticket website and can't actually be used with any airline?

Nonsense.

The onward ticket has been entered by airline staff based on reports.

100% no issue.

Please provide one post of where it has been rejected.

Scaremongering not needed for helpful advice. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Nonsense.

The onward ticket has been entered by airline staff based on reports.

100% no issue.

Please provide one post of where it has been rejected.

Scaremongering not needed for helpful advice. 

I'm not saying it doesn't work just that there's no guarantee based on the notion that it's a "genuine" ticket.

Provide one post where an edited pdf has been rejected. Both of them work but only one is free.

2 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

I took exception because this topic comes up often.

I would never suggest altered pdf as an option.

It's called fraud.

You are comparing apples and oranges.

Anyway rent a ticket works and can be checked by airline.

Not apples and oranges at all. Both involve making a fraudulent misrepresentation to the airline, ie a claim that you have a ticket to fly to an onward destination, which you don't in fact have. Neither is actually going to get you to the place you're (dishonestly) claiming to go.

Rent a ticket appears to have worked so far but there's no guarantee that's going to continue. They both work because the airlines are not fussy enough to check.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

Not apples and oranges at all. Both involve making a fraudulent misrepresentation to the airline, ie a claim that you have a ticket to fly to an onward destination, which you don't in fact have. Neither is actually going to get you to the place you're (dishonestly) claiming to go.

Rent a ticket appears to have worked so far but there's no guarantee that's going to continue. They both work because the airlines are not fussy enough to check.

In your opinion, is buying a fully refundable ticket, intending to cancel, also fraud? Or, is it only reserving a genuine ticket through a rental service (that the rental service subsequently cancels) that is fraud?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, BritTim said:

In your opinion, is buying a fully refundable ticket, intending to cancel, also fraud? Or, is it only reserving a genuine ticket through a rental service (that the rental service subsequently cancels) that is fraud?

No that's not fraud because the requirement is only to show a ticket at the time of check in that can in fact be used to fly you out of the country.

I am here for 4/5 months of the year. I try to enter on a TR60 but with short trips to other countries I often re enter visa exempt. My own method is simple, if I don't have a flight out booked, I go down the onwardticket route. Reckon I get asked at check in 50% of the time (looked at not checked on the system) For me $12 well spent wether it is checked or not. Peace of mind and one less thing to worry about.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Des1 said:

Before boarding in Vancouver my name was called and I had to show them an onward ticket.

@Des1  May I ask if you flew Air Canada?  I heard rumours of AC hassling passengers at the gate if no RETURN ticket is booked back to Canada - even if you have a tourist visa and an onward ticket out of Thailand to a neighbouring country!

Edited by Woke to Sounds of Horking
clarity / brevity
  • Thanks 1

My trip did not originate in Vancouver. I flew Westjet to Vancouver. I contacted their customer service and they said I should have a return ticket to Canada, so that is what I did. My throw away ticket cost a little more because I selected Vancouver as the destination.

However, when I checked in at the WestJet counter they did not even ask about it, so I thought I was free and clear. In Vancouver I was flying on PAL (Philippine Airlines). They were the ones who asked to see my forward flight ticket. I bleieve they would have been ok with any destination.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Woke to Sounds of Horking said:

@Des1  May I ask if you flew Air Canada?  I heard rumours of AC hassling passengers at the gate if no RETURN ticket is booked back to Canada - even if you have a tourist visa and an onward ticket out of Thailand to a neighbouring country!

Instead of buying a 'throw-away' ticket, you could buy on-line an onward-flight reservation from Thailand to Canada.  

These are genuine reservations (so the airline can check them) from onward-flight reservation service providers like onwardticket.com and cost somewhere between 10 and 15 US $.  Note that these reservations are automatically cancelled by the service provider 48 or 72 hours after issue, so it is a matter of booking them on-line the evening before or morning of your departure flight to Thailand.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1