Pattaya Police Fine Taxi Drivers for Assaulting and Threatening Couple on Walking Street

webfact

image.jpeg

Pattaya—On October 28th, 2023, the Pattaya City police officers received a complaint about motorcycle taxi drivers at Walking Street, South Pattaya, Bang Lamung, Chonburi.

The victims were Mr. Sathit Ruenjit, 41, and his girlfriend, Ms. Aranya Phato, 33. They revealed to Thai media that early in the morning on October 26th, 2023, Sathit parked his motorcycle on the roadside of Walking Street to pick his girlfriend up after work. However, one of what Sathit called alleged “taxi mafia” members chased Sathit away before punching him in the face. Another man then threatened Sathit his life and claimed to have support from an alleged influential figure.

It’s unclear according to Sathit exactly why they attacked him, with the matter under investigation. One possibility brought up by police is that the taxi drivers may have thought Sathit was a mobile app driver, their competitor.

By Kittisak Phalaharn

Full story: THE PATTAYA NEWS 2023-10-30

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, Trevor Collins said:

Take away his license to operate, once the rest see that their livelihood is threatened they'll soon change their behaviour.

Well they didn't did they, a 2k fine, and back on the streets to do it again. It SHOULD be taken away and impound the bike. But the mafia boss won't allow it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, stoner said:

imagine threatening someone's life over a taxi ride. smh

I've had my life threatened by a 'Falang' just becoz he didn't like where I parked my car, in a supermarket frigging carpark. there are a lot of aggressive idiots out there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

Fine for me as abroad they don't cheat that much or at all as in New Delhi or amongst the Thai meter taxi drivers in Thailand.

Not complaining at all, I never got cheated by a taxi driver in Australia they all use their meters only mentioned most of them are Indians and also petrol station owners 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cdemundo said:

my experience is different.

I moved to an area that is far from any MRT/BTS stations a couple of months ago.

I now take several taxi rides almost every day.

My experience is that most Taxi drivers are good-natured and helpful.

Some of them seem not to be very knowledgeable about Bangkok geography but most aren't too bad about that either.

Location location location

you criticize them for their  lack of geography but somehow you then retract it…

wishy washy answers calls in your credibility 

• Sad 1